• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I wonder if Nintendo will purposely continue to tease us with Octolings to create the equivalent of Half-Life 3 o_O
Please no. I had to go through that with shenmue, and they didn't even tease. I don't want to know what a fan of a deliberately delayed series would feel.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
But there needs to be a reason as to why the Octolings are all of a sudden playing recreational games with their sworn enemies, the Inklings.
Does there also need a reason for Ganondorf fighting alongside Link in Hyrule Warriors?
Or Wesker fighting alongside Chris in MvC3?

Why must there be a sense and/or solid explanation for every little thing?
Especially Multiplayer generally never cares about sense or reason.
Everyone can team up with or fight against everyone.
Just have fun!
Not everything needs to be explained.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Does there also need a reason for Ganondorf fighting alongside Link in Hyrule Warriors?
Or Wesker fighting alongside Chris in MvC3?

Why must there be a sense and/or solid explanation for every little thing?
Especially Multiplayer generally never cares about sense or reason.
Everyone can team up with or fight against everyone.
Just have fun!
Not everything needs to be explained.
I agree things should be for fun, but the games you mentioned are a spin-off and a crossover. This is the first game in a new IP and a canon should and has been established. This is the first main title in the Splatoon IP much like Super Mario Bros was the first title in the Mario platforming series (aka the Main Mario Titles). I think the question is "Is there a reason for Ganondorf to fight along side Link in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, or Bowser helping Mario in Super Mario Bros.? No, they're the bad guys. The Octarians, and the Octolings who are a part of them are the bad guys of Splatoon.

What's happening is if this was Super Mario Bros. and all of sudden, we can play as the Hammer Bros. But they're on good terms with The Mushroom Kingdom. How does that make any sense? They're Bowser's elite henchman, why would they be on good terms with Mario and co.? That's what's happening here. I'm curious as to why the Octolings are all of a sudden on good terms with their sworn enemy.

In what little story there is in that universe, Ganondorf never helped Link. He showed up at Cia's place to kill her, nothing more. You just happened to be there when he showed up. Also player 2 in any mode is not canon and for the most part is mostly ignored unless the character player 2 is playing as spoke when he/she did something cool. Also, Hyrule Warriors is not canon.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Multiplayer doesn't really have a story.
So there is no harm done, if Octolings simply become another playable character for Multiplayer.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I think i see your points, guys. If they leave it out, creative people like us can go ahead and make some sort of epic story for them.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
The folks at Nintendo have put a surprising ammount of dedication into the world building of Splatoon. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that they will tie the octos joining the squids with the story, especially considering that they've shown that they aren't really "villains" so much as just the other side of the war.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
The only true baddie is Octavio.
All the other Octatians are just following along really, thinking it's the only way for them to survive.

Although I think to an extent, Cuttlefish himself is also responsible for the... messy relationship between the two races.
I dunno, but to me, it comes off he dislikes Octorians, just as much as Octavio dislikes Inklings.
Tho it is true that Octavio is much more extreme.

Either way, if other people would get the handle, Inklings and Octolings could very easily come together.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Hey, I'm not against the Octolings for Multiplayer at all, if anything, I'm definitely for it! It would bring some fresh new experiences in Multiplayer.

Single Player is the story and how everything you see around you is the way it is, including Inkopolis. The Multiplayer in Splatoon is just you playing the sport for any reason you see fit. But the story around Inkopolis still applies even to Multiplayer, and it explains why some stages are the way they are, and the weapons you use are the way they are. The Bamboozler MKII is not the one used by Cuttlefish in the Great Turf War for example but a modernized version of it. Overall, the game is not going to break the canon it established just because "it's multiplayer!" so It will be interesting to see why the Octolings play Turf Wars with the Inklings in the possible near future.

For right now, the game explained why we can't play as Octolings. The characters we play as, the Inklings are not on friendly terms with the Octolings. In fact, all of them are underground. So I'm just curious as to what's Nintendo's likely funny reason on why they're friends again. Through a new campaign or other means.

That's all, it was curiosity, not me saying "They can't work as playable characters and here's why!" At this point I fully expect the announcement by the end of next week. I liked the lore that was built in Single Player. And I am looking forward to their explanation on the treaty between the two races. Because if there's going to be a sequel, Octavio may have to get a new evolved race to do his dirty work in the place of the Inkling's former enemies. As I see Octavio as the "Bowser" of Splatoon.

Last edited:

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I'm about 95% certain that word of Nintendo says the Octolings were being mind controlled by Octavio's music (the single-player BGM). I'd be shocked if that little tidbit doesn't come into play for this (i.e. without the zapfish powering his mind control speakers, the Octolings are free to return to the surface and abandon their old enmity).

Also, IIRC there was a fair amount of emphasis put on the identities of Agents 1-3 being kept secret (even though it's blatantly obvious to the player). I wouldn't be surprised if the shopkeepers (other than maybe Sheldon) say nothing different from what they say to Inklings now.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'm about 95% certain that word of Nintendo says the Octolings were being mind controlled by Octavio's music (the single-player BGM). I'd be shocked if that little tidbit doesn't come into play for this (i.e. without the zapfish powering his mind control speakers, the Octolings are free to return to the surface and abandon their old enmity).

Also, IIRC there was a fair amount of emphasis put on the identities of Agents 1-3 being kept secret (even though it's blatantly obvious to the player). I wouldn't be surprised if the shopkeepers (other than maybe Sheldon) say nothing different from what they say to Inklings now.
Oh duh! Thanks for reminding me of that. They stated in a recent-ish interview that the entire army? was being controlled by the music we hear in Single Player. It obviously is designed for controlling octos, not Inklings. You're right. It would make an interesting plot point on what happens after the Zap Fish were taken back. Now what is Octavio going to do? That snow globe is obviously not going to keep him contained for long.

They also stated on how the Squid Sisters gets the Splatfest theme in the first place and the entire point of their creation.

Edit: Found it.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/240636-splatoon-devs-talk-character-proportions-squid-sisters-sound-de

Caramiella

Inkling
NNID
CaramelSundae
Woah, interview? Do you guys have a link to it somewhere? I'm kinda curious about all this since it's the first I've heard of it! : o

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I'm about 95% certain that word of Nintendo says the Octolings were being mind controlled by Octavio's music (the single-player BGM).
Does is say that anywhere in the game? 'cause that's a new one on me. i'll read the article after splatfest. probably where they're gonna take it, though.

It obviously is designed for controlling octos
guess that's why they wear stereo ear communicators, just in case. and to listen to their jams.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Woah, interview? Do you guys have a link to it somewhere? I'm kinda curious about all this since it's the first I've heard of it! : o
The GoNintendo link I put up at the end of my previous post is the interview in question. I double checked it myself.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I was gonna look for that!

I mean, Octavio's xenophobic and power hungry ways would give a great jumping point for Octarians to either come up to the surface or get the help they need to maintain their current homes.

This actually doubly explains why it's ONLY the Octarians entered the caves after losing to the Inklings, while other races (species?) live beside them peacefully despite the apparent reason Octavio started a war at all was for territory.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
In what little story there is in that universe, Ganondorf never helped Link. He showed up at Cia's place to kill her, nothing more. You just happened to be there when he showed up. Also player 2 in any mode is not canon and for the most part is mostly ignored unless the character player 2 is playing as spoke when he/she did something cool. Also, Hyrule Warriors is not canon.
Why do people keep thinking that HW is canon? *facepalms*

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Whatever the case.
The mere fact that Octolings are enemies in Single Player, shouldn't be any sort of hindrance to include them as playable characters for Multiplayer.

It isn't an unthinkable thing for enemies to come together and work flawlessly as a team in Multiplayer, in the same game.
As it has been done before with many games.
Most commonly fighting games, that have an utterly heartless and dispicable villain.
And yet in Multiplayer, he can very easily come and work together with the main protagonist, without second thoughts.

So yeah, it wouldn't be the first occurence for Multiplayer to say "Screw Canon!".
i mean the "story" of Multiplayer can be summed up like this:
"8 Cephalopod-humans ink everything in 4v4 matches."

That's it.
So yeah, I can only say to stop caring about Multiplayer breaking Canon.
It was done before and nobody complained about it.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
The reason so many of us are looking forward to seeing how this would be tied up to the story is because this is one of the few shooters with single player story and lore where the multiplayer is also part of said lore.

You don't usually see competitive multiplayer in shooters to make any kind of sense with the main story; you know, because of the whole "people dying and coming back on a regular basis" thing. However, it is in Splatoon. Multiplayer is all part of a fun sport that brings Inklings from all over and that has been a part of their culture for several years, and where being "killed" is merely a mild inconvenience; and it's because of taking part in said sport that Agent 3 got involved with the Octarians.

Add to this the sympathetic elements of the Octarians and the laid back attitude of the Inklings, and it only makes sense that they could be added to the multiplayer with more than just a simple handwave.

The only true baddie is Octavio.
All the other Octatians are just following along really, thinking it's the only way for them to survive.

Although I think to an extent, Cuttlefish himself is also responsible for the... messy relationship between the two races.
I dunno, but to me, it comes off he dislikes Octorians, just as much as Octavio dislikes Inklings.
Tho it is true that Octavio is much more extreme.

Either way, if other people would get the handle, Inklings and Octolings could very easily come together.
I never really got a "xenophobic" vibe from Octavio. I mean, he was friends with Cuttlefish, and I know I'd also be a little pissy if the war I lost forced my people underground, living in domes that are falling apart more and more by every passing day.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Thing is, Nintendo isn't one for just putting things in games for nothing more than the sake of putting it in the game. There's almost always a story, or something to be delved deep into. Take the Hylian language as an example, hell, possibly even the inkling and octarian language. They created an entire language, they weren't just symbols that were made to look like a language. It was thought out and we are now able to translate it in regards to the Hylian language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom