• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

One-Time Abilities

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
Recon
Haunt
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort
Comeback
Ninja Squid
Stealth Super Jump
Tenacity
Bomb Sniffer

These are all abilities which have a single effect and do not stack. They can only be found on the main ability slot on a piece of gear, so at max, you can have three of these. Which three do you think are the best for competitive play? Do you think using all three main abilites on these are even worth it? Let me hear your opinions!

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
I think Last-Ditch Effort can be really effective, specially on a Roller/Jr. Ninja Squid seems pretty good too!

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
ninja squid and stealth super jump are both really handy when worked in conjunction, especially if you have perks that work with them, such as moving in ink faster or the faster super jump.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I feel like Haunt won't be as good as the others, like Recon or Opening Gambit.
Bomb Sniffer completely negates mines so thats one to look out for. I'm hoping for tenacity and last ditch effort on my gear though.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
ninja squid and stealth super jump are both really handy when worked in conjunction, especially if you have perks that work with them, such as moving in ink faster or the faster super jump.
Ninja Squid doesn't seem too great to me considering it's already tough to spot the ink trail, especially if you're not actively looking for it. Though maybe experts will have a keener eye at the highest level of play. Still, doesn't seem worth the speed penalty, that seems like very harsh price to pay. Besides, you can already stealth swim by moving the stick halfway. Ninja squid might be a little faster than that, but probably not by much when you account for the penalty.

Seleir

Senior Squid
NNID
Yoshigold
Ninja Squid doesn't seem too great to me considering it's already tough to spot the ink trail, especially if you're not actively looking for it. Though maybe experts will have a keener eye at the highest level of play. Still, doesn't seem worth the speed penalty, that seems like very harsh price to pay. Besides, you can already stealth swim by moving the stick halfway. Ninja squid might be a little faster than that, but probably not by much when you account for the penalty.
and for stealth jump?

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Stealth jump seems fairly useless, unless you want to dive into the enemy team without them knowing. You shouldn't be caught in the fray by super jumping anyway, so I don't see the reason behind hiding your spot at the cost of a slower jump.

Seleir

Senior Squid
NNID
Yoshigold
Stealth jump seems fairly useless, unless you want to dive into the enemy team without them knowing. You shouldn't be caught in the fray by super jumping anyway, so I don't see the reason behind hiding your spot at the cost of a slower jump.
understand i will change that...

i pm you for ask one thing

noterday

Inkling
Haunt seems very useless since your teammates can see where you died normaly. In most situations the place where you died will be very close to the enemies who did it unless you're dealing with someone sniping from far away.

Recon could have some really great uses in an organised team who can communicate but without voice chat its not the most useful. The Echolocator special weapon might hurt its usefulness because it might be better?

Comeback is a really confusing one because its description says that it boosts some abilities but idk what it actually boost? Its kinda hard to tell what is being boosted and for how long after you spawn.

I think its pretty interresting to ask which ability is the most useful between Opening Gambit and Last-Ditch Effort cause that would require pretty good understanding of how splatoon matches go to answer accurately

PUK

Inkling
Ninja squid is actually really good. Even if you can't shot an inkling you can easily see in which ink surface he's hiding or moving. But with ninja squid it's impossible.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Stealth Squid Jump is pretty important. There have been so many times when you are trying to get out of the choke points, but then you cannot because you super jump in and a charger is ready to splat you.
Plus, both of the equipment I have also negates the downside with the min perks.

Squidalicious

Full Squid
NNID
LinkMan1871
I love Stealth Jump as well as Ninja Squid. I always run around in ink being ninja like and nobody knows what hit them by the time I kill them.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Both are super helpful. I only have ninja jump, but tomorrow i'll have both and i already have mini perks that will help negate both. or atleast a little bit

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
Completely disagree with stealth jump being useless. Many times I jump to a teammate who I think is safe and then he gets killed by charger/inkzooka/jet squelcher, and at that point I might as well put down my controller and wait for the next respawn since you already know the enemy is hiding in the ink waiting to kill you next, especially if they ink the ground where you're about to land it makes it almost impossible to even get the return kill. The amount of time wasted from that is huge.

If you have the ability however, the enemy won't even think after killing your mate and keep moving on to spread more ink, then you land behind them and get a free kill. Also if you jump to a guy who is under fire you suddenly land and change that fight to a 2v1 or 2v2, and the enemy usually doesn't have time to react before you kill them. This ability is such a huge gamechanger (in turf war at least) and I don't think I could switch to any other ability for my shoes.

And for the record, the jump is barely slower. Even if you jump as soon as your teammate dies, by the time you land you should still be in range to attack the enemy, and even if not it still puts you behind enemy lines without them noticing unless they check their map every 5 seconds.

Other single abilities I've tried were tenacity and opening gambit, opening gambit feels barely faster than normal, I don't think I would use it for anything other than charger if the map has a good charger position at mid like in warehouse or skatepark. And tenacity is super situational and most games I don't have an afk on my team so I didn't find it too helpful. If you have an afk you are likely to lose anyways if the enemy is even close to being competent, so I don't see the point on wasting an ability for these situations.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Stealth jump is REALLY nice to have with a roller, since you can just land on someone from seemingly nowhere and instantly take them out. Useful in general anyway considering the amount of times I've seen people(myself included) get targeted or a mine placed at the landing point just because they can see where they are going to be. Especially nice on maps like underpass where people tend to super jump a lot.

Ninja I don't think is actually quite as useful, for starters it makes you go slower which is a flat out nerf, and the invisibility factor itself isn't extremely useful considering squid is a movement/escape option and less of a stealth tactic. Besides, you're rather hard to see in chaotic situations like mid of warehouse anyway, and most of the times when I see people trying to be stealthy they're standing still waiting for their prey anyway. I guess standoff situations like the low ground midpoint with the box on salt rig(wow that description was awful) can be where ninja proves to be useful thanks to how you force the opponent to guess even further as to where you actually are, but that's just in theory and IMO not quite worth the slower speed and valuable upgrade slot taken.

Bliumage

Inkling
NNID
Bliumage
Something I should add, it looks like each of those abilities are only found on a single type of equipment as well. I've only found Opening Gambit and Last-Ditch Effort on headgear, Recon, Haunt and Ninja Squid on clothing, and Stealth Jump on shoes (haven't found Comeback, Tenacity, or Bomb Sniffer on anything yet). Has anyone found anything to the contrary yet?

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
bomb sniffer is shoes, tenacity is headgear ik for sure. comeback i can't remember but i have it on something. in match though so i can't check

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
I've only seen bomb sniff on shoes and tenacity on helmets also, might be actually correct on the equipment thing

Or we just have to wait for more gear to be released in the coming days idk

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
Adding to the Stealth Jump conversation, Recon allows you to see whether the person you're about to jump to is being attacked, while also having other uses.

Seleir

Senior Squid
NNID
Yoshigold
I think ink resistance up is a better replacement for stealth super jump because when you have the paint under you, you really take so much low damage.
Also with squid movement up super jump will be useless.
this is my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom