• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Opinion on the Nintendo's online membership?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
hey sup? :D

i am sure most of you know..but soon we gotta pay to play online T~T at first i wasn't to happy about it but since it is really cheap for a year compared to xbox and PS4,only 20 dollars/euros,i don't find the price a problem..but what still bothers me is how it currenly goes for online playing..i mean many of us have or had issues were you randomly gety kicked out a match because of a ''communication error'' or the teammates disconnecting at the first half of a match? if they expect us to pay to play online then shouldn't they be fixing these issues as well? >-> because it's not fair to pay for something if it's half broken,know what i mean? x.x

what do you people think? o:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
hey sup? :D

i am sure most of you know..but soon we gotta pay to play online T~T at first i wasn't to happy about it but since it is really cheap for a year compared to xbox and PS4,only 20 dollars/euros,i don't find the price a problem..but what still bothers me is how it currenly goes for online playing..i mean many of us have or had issues were you randomly gety kicked out a match because of a ''communication error'' or the teammates disconnecting at the first half of a match? if they expect us to pay to play online then shouldn't they be fixing these issues as well? >-> because it's not fair to pay for something if it's half broken,know what i mean? x.x

what do you people think? o:
I have to say I'll get the membership anyway because... well... Splatoon, and I don't mind that, but I think Nintendo should at least upgrade their Splatoon servers so dcs don't happen/happen less often. One thing I am excited for though is the Classic Game library thing; playing Super Mario Kart online especially with frieds would be lit.

Cephalobro

I mean, it must be nice to have online for free, but I think having extra features basically makes that impossible. Oh well, at least once it launches, most lobby ruiners will finally quit the game for good. I do agree that the servers need to be upgraded, especially since Smash is coming out this year. I hope they don't let the online become so painfully slow like last time.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
. Oh well, at least once it launches, most lobby ruiners will finally quit the game for good. I do agree that the servers need to be upgraded, especially since Smash is coming out this year.
That is something I didn't think about and now that I have, I personally think this paid membership thing will be for the better.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I'm going to stick by what I said many months ago, I'll hop on for 1 year, see the last of Splatoon 2 Splatfests and updates out, then bail. It may be cheap, but Nintendo's online quality is notoriously bad. You can't upgrade servers because there aren't any, in matches at least. The only servers any of Nintendo games have are for logging on, searching for matches and being connected to other clients. The entire server disappears once a match starts, having all connections swap over to Peer-to-Peer. I don't know about you, but I'm not the sort who wants to pay money for online pay when it's your own internet that is performing the bulk of the connections in a match. Nintendo has also proven they are highly incompetent at any sort of netcode, just look at the state of Splatoon 1 and 2 with lag, Mario Tennis Aces, the nonsense that Mario Kart 8 has always performed (one of many reasons why when I play Mario Kart online it's usually Mario Kart Wii via Wiimmfi) on Switch and Wii U and how badly Smash 4 handled lag (never played it but saw horrific cases of the stuff). Then to turn around and keep everything the same, but lock it behind a paywall with very small incentives to entice players to bite is rather stingy. At best we'll be getting NES and SNES games with online (despite few games allowing simultaneous multiplayer) on a rented basis (gone once your subscription ends), a hostage system for backing up save files, and the same shoddy online experience but now with "discounts" on the eShop.

If Nintendo has been working on dedicated servers for the competitive games like Splatoon and Smash, swap over and have higher tickrates with a better response time, then sure, it'll be worth the price. The low price just emphasises that Nintendo are fully aware their own online network isn't worth a high asking price. I wouldn't pay for PSN or Gold either, as their situation is just laughably dumb. Pay £50-£60 a year to play other companies' games online that don't use Sony's and Microsoft's servers? Yeah no thanks. This service could be good, but I'm rather expecting it to be the same terrible service now with a paywall, and that's something that will hurt the player base of all online games on Switch, because I don't think many players will want to pay for such poor quality online, except the hardcore Splatoon and Smash players. As someone who has played around 1600 hours of Splatoon 1 and 2 combined (since Splatoon 1's launch), I won't be missing out on much as I burnt out on 2 much faster than 1, but still occasionally hop on every once in a while, so Nintendo has no hold on me for the service.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
I'm paying it because I want to keep playing Splatoon 2 and eventually Smash Ultimate. The online paywall is really going to hurt a lot of communities, especially smaller games like Sushi Striker and I think Splatoon 2 will be affected.
The whole online service feels like an unnecessary paywall for things you don't really own. Cloud saves? Awesome, I'll definitely be using those, but we've been BEGGING for local save backup for ages. NES games? I like SMB3 as much as the next guy, but actually owning a copy would be nice.
I trust Nintendo to make great games, but I absolutely do not trust their ability to create a comfortable, useful user experience.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'm paying it because I want to keep playing Splatoon 2 and eventually Smash Ultimate. The online paywall is really going to hurt a lot of communities, especially smaller games like Sushi Striker and I think Splatoon 2 will be affected.
The whole online service feels like an unnecessary paywall for things you don't really own. Cloud saves? Awesome, I'll definitely be using those, but we've been BEGGING for local save backup for ages. NES games? I like SMB3 as much as the next guy, but actually owning a copy would be nice.
I trust Nintendo to make great games, but I absolutely do not trust their ability to create a comfortable, useful user experience.
So, can I save my Splatoon 2 progress in the Cloud so if my switch broke and I got a new one I'd be a-ok?

techton

Senior Squid
I will pay for it only if Nintendo improves the experience when playing online. I can only hope that this September's update will do that.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm going to stick by what I said many months ago, I'll hop on for 1 year, see the last of Splatoon 2 Splatfests and updates out, then bail. It may be cheap, but Nintendo's online quality is notoriously bad.
That must be an American-exclusive problem or something, because I can't say I ever have any issues while playing any Switch game online.

On the Wii U I only got problems when my wifi crapped out, and on the Switch, where I'm using a wired connection, I can count the times I've disconnected on one hand.

So for me at least it'll easily be worth the money, even if I'm playing Splatoon less these days.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
So, can I save my Splatoon 2 progress in the Cloud so if my switch broke and I got a new one I'd be a-ok?
Nintendo -still- hasn't clarified what games aren't going to be supported for cloud saves, but if Splatoon 2 is supported, yeah, that's exactly the case.
Given their track record on repairs coming back with their saves, I sincerely hope they allow for it.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Nintendo -still- hasn't clarified what games aren't going to be supported for cloud saves, but if Splatoon 2 is supported, yeah, that's exactly the case.
Given their track record on repairs coming back with their saves, I sincerely hope they allow for it.
I doubt they wouldn't support all their core 1st party games at the very least. It wouldn't make sense if they didn't. Splatoon 2 being one of their strongest 1st party IPs in this age, there really shouldn't be a reason why they wouldn't.

OT:
I'm getting it. It's fairly cheap and I'm actually making money now so the $20 every month year is non-issue. Cloud saving is super important for backups in case anything happens. The simple fact I still enjoy playing Splatoon online. The other minor perks are nice, I guess. It isn't the most grand thing out there, and Nintendo's online still isn't anything phenomenal.

Honestly, when it comes to Splatoon's connections issues, honestly, I'm not gonna be that guy that just blames everything on the system. Unless you're directly wired into your router and your router's connection is extremely solid, you are gonna have connection errors no matter how grand a game's connection system or server is. To put it blunt, I don't have faith in other people's console internet connection to begin with, I don't even necessarily have complete faith in my own, mine's not bad by any means but hiccups happen.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It's $20 a year, not a month. So it's chump change unless you're a kid. I'm getting a family plan for an extra $15 just so my wife can have cloud saves.

I agree that disconnects themselves are probably not Nintendo's fault. I have wired business-class internet, and I never d/c at all. But other players disconnect pretty frequently. I just wish they'd handle it better. A ranked game can be won in 30 seconds, but they only protect your rank if the d/c was over a minute before the end. Splatfest power, freshness ranking, and drink/meal tickets should also not be lost when one of your teammates disconnects (but they should if you do), even if it's very late--a Turf Wars game can flip dramatically in the last 10 seconds.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I just wish they'd handle it better. A ranked game can be won in 30 seconds, but they only protect your rank if the d/c was over a minute before the end. Splatfest power, freshness ranking, and drink/meal tickets should also not be lost when one of your teammates disconnects (but they should if you do), even if it's very late--a Turf Wars game can flip dramatically in the last 10 seconds.
It'd just be too easy to exploit otherwise. It sucks, but that's just a limit to online gaming.

Cephalobro

Well, they can at least increase it to 2 minutes since a lot of disconnects that cause the loss of rank and freshness always seem to be closer to the 2 minute mark.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It'd just be too easy to exploit otherwise. It sucks, but that's just a limit to online gaming.
I don't see how you could exploit it in Normal or Ranked, if the one who disconnected was still penalized. I hadn't been thinking about League or team Splatfest. I agree with you on those: if any team member disconnects, the whole team should be penalized. That wouldn't count for the other duo in a 2+2 vs. 2+2 game, though.

wink

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1676-1715-3794
i don't like the idea of it bc i don't have a job yet n i only get money on holidays but i'm still gonna be savin up for it cuz i love splatoon. i can only hope it's for the better and i guess once i do get a job that $20 won't be so bad! also i DO however like the idea of cloud backups bc my copy of splatoon 2 is digital and i'd be so sad if something ever happened to make me lose all my progress : (

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't see how you could exploit it in Normal or Ranked, if the one who disconnected was still penalized.
The person who disconnects still gets penalized, but not any person they are in cahoots with.

Cephalobro

The person who disconnects still gets penalized, but not any person they are in cahoots with.
Problem is that the person they are in cahoots with is often on the other team as well, so the problem occurs whether or not the innocent players are saved. It's better to not penalize innocent players, that makes things at least a little better.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
With what I've been told, seen, and experienced in the past when it comes to Nintendo and online—and delaying the online service like three or four times already—I'm not too surprised they'll start off at $20 USD before raising the price in a year or two. That and even they probably understand the service will start out hideously barebones.

I'll have a good, sardonic laugh of it all if the inevitable announcement is finally made a week before it goes live. *cackle*

The online paywall is really going to hurt a lot of communities, especially smaller games like Sushi Striker and I think Splatoon 2 will be affected.
Hello, fellow unicorn?

Yeah, the online pool for most games behind the paywall will be looking at lean times for a while. A combination of people not buying into the service for a while or never, those in the service not having the game, those in the service devoting more time to other games like Splatoon 2, and some games just being very niche and unnoticed.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If you can not scrape up 20 bucks to pay for a years worth of online you may be better off putting down the controller and get your life straightened out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom