• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Opinion ~ What do you think is the strongest and weakest special weapon and why?

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Title says it all. Discuss whenever you're ready.

Personally if I had to say the weakest special would probably have to say the sting ray. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I've only gotten 3 kills with this thing... ever. Even crazier? I've honestly gotten killed by this thing only once EVER!!!

This thing is near impossible to aim, takes forever to kill, and barely leaves any ink. It's essentially the Killer Wail if its mother did a lot of drinking while they were pregnant with it. It is the worst special in the history of specials. Maybe ever?

The best special if I had to say has to be the inkstorm. It sounds like a sh*ttier version of the inkstrike but it moves, denies a large area to enemy squids, can flush out snipers, and even splat squids unable to get away from it. This thing is a beast in splat zones too!

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Personally if I had to say the weakest special would probably have to say the sting ray. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I've only gotten 3 kills with this thing... ever. Even crazier? I've honestly gotten killed by this thing only once EVER!!!

This thing is near impossible to aim, takes forever to kill, and barely leaves any ink. It's essentially the Killer Wail if its mother did a lot of drinking while they were pregnant with it. It is the worst special in the history of specials. Maybe ever?
!....Okay then......

Here's a tier list because I like lists.

X: Baller, Ink Armor, Inkjet
S: Sting Ray, Bubble Blower
A: Inkstorm, Splat Bomb Launcher
B: Booyah Bomb, Ultra Stamp, Suction Bomb Launcher, Burst Bomb Launcher, Tentamissiles
C: Splashdown, Curling Bomb Launcher

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Yeah don't really know about that original post hehe....

Anyways! I gotta say I think the strongest special is Ink Armor at least right now. It's capabilities are insane with proper timing and capitalization off of its power.

Worst special is definitely tenta missiles. Nothing much more to see here.

In conclusion, if you're using nzap 89 over nzap 85 you're throwing xdd

blep

Inkster Jr.
Splashdown isn't that bad on maps with lots of high ground like Moray, Blackbelly, etc.

Baller is really good. Inkjet is good but not exceptional. Sting Ray is still good but no longer broken. Bubbles are very good. Rain is good. But Booyah Bomb is very strong and can overshadow rain or splashdown on open maps like Skipper. The Bomb launchers are all good except Curling Bomb Launcher. Ultra Stamp is good but not great.

Ink armor is overrated but also very good.

Wrong, sorry. It doesn't do what it should do which is dumb, but what it does do is dumb. You can literally see where everyone is on the map. That's gotta be worth something.

In conclusion, if you're using nzap 89 over nzap 85 you're throwing xdd
Now there, you are correct. I see far too many '89s down here in S+ and can only wish for the occasional '85.

There's really no best special, though. Each one has different uses, strengths, and weaknesses.

TLDR best - none, worst - roomba launcher.

(I edited this twice to test the text editor)

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I think y'all are sleeping pretty hard on splashdown. It has a pretty generous lethal radius. You can even use it during a super jump although that can be predictable. It's still not the best but it's definitely not bottom tier.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I think y'all are sleeping pretty hard on splashdown. It has a pretty generous lethal radius. You can even use it during a super jump although that can be predictable. It's still not the best but it's definitely not bottom tier.
Literally everyone in X rank will shoot your splashdown down unless you use it in superjump. That's why.

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983
personally I think the best special is a tie between baller and armor. both have very good uses baller is used as the best frontline special and armor for the best supportive special. I think the worst has to definitely be auto launcher, as it's basically a super slow to blow up and if there is someone nearby, all the paint will be in one small area.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Ummm... no. Tenta Missiles are definitely NOT the worst special. First of all, both Splashdown and Roomba Launcher are without a doubt worse. Second, when they're properly coordinated, they really aren't as bad as everyone says they are - just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's automatically bad lol. If you're playing in Soloq, specifically Clam Blitz on most maps, and everyone is rushing down the road to the basket to make a push, you can take advantage of their grouping up to launch them and watch them run and panic and die as they run into your or your teammate's line of fire.

The best in my opinion? Probably Bubble Blower. It paints well, kills well, and is on some pretty synergistic weapons. It can also "scare" your opponents to either take the risk of being near them and possibly getting splatted, shooting them, (which obviously means they aren't shooting at you, giving you an opening) or finding a different route.

Now before I go to say something not worth saying about a horrible special... I really don't get the deal with Ink Armor and Inkjet. Armor takes, like, 30 damage to break. What does 30 damage, you probably aren't asking? Well, a direct or a splash of damage from Torpedo, a sub on two relevant weapons at the moment, splash from any blaster, hit from any roller, charged shot from a charger, I could go on for a while. But surely if it's weak it lasts a while, right? Nope - only 6 seconds. When you think about it, Inkjet leaves you just as exposed if not more than Splashdown. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Inkjet is bad or worse than Splashdown, it's still good just not as X tier as people say.

Finally, Roomba Launcher is worst special nuff said.

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983
Ummm... no. Tenta Missiles are definitely NOT the worst special. First of all, both Splashdown and Roomba Launcher are without a doubt worse. Second, when they're properly coordinated, they really aren't as bad as everyone says they are - just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's automatically bad lol. If you're playing in Soloq, specifically Clam Blitz on most maps, and everyone is rushing down the road to the basket to make a push, you can take advantage of their grouping up to launch them and watch them run and panic and die as they run into your or your teammate's line of fire.

The best in my opinion? Probably Bubble Blower. It paints well, kills well, and is on some pretty synergistic weapons. It can also "scare" your opponents to either take the risk of being near them and possibly getting splatted, shooting them, (which obviously means they aren't shooting at you, giving you an opening) or finding a different route.

Now before I go to say something not worth saying about a horrible special... I really don't get the deal with Ink Armor and Inkjet. Armor takes, like, 30 damage to break. What does 30 damage, you probably aren't asking? Well, a direct or a splash of damage from Torpedo, a sub on two relevant weapons at the moment, splash from any blaster, hit from any roller, charged shot from a charger, I could go on for a while. But surely if it's weak it lasts a while, right? Nope - only 6 seconds. When you think about it, Inkjet leaves you just as exposed if not more than Splashdown. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Inkjet is bad or worse than Splashdown, it's still good just not as X tier as people say.

Finally, Roomba Launcher is worst special nuff said.
while you are right about inkjet to an extent, armor provides so much as a sort of direct counter to sting ray and lets your team make much more aggro plays. when armor breaks it's usually from fire from people you started a fight with and you'll most likely win bc you had that added protection backing you up. there's a reason it's considered one of if not the best special in the game rn, and why most viable comps can't go without an armor wep.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I dunno I think Tenta Missiles are better then most give it credit for. I look at them as a bird dog, marks opponents and flushes them out. You may not get a lot of splats with them but you get plenty of assists. It shines in TC I think.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Okay well every special is at least decent with proper timing. I say missiles are the worst for how widely they are misused time and time again. And compared to curling rush which is on two weapons, it’s the worst relevant special. Also, it’s not that hard to find and track people with your eyes and map. Every time someone uses missiles I’m just like, “whelp, that was your special. Imagine how much more it could do if it was literally anything else.”

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Missiles have one good use from what I've found, and that's pushing into zone and disrupting the enemy line. Maps with larger zones (my example will be Musselforge because that's what my team has the most experience with) popping missiles, Inkstorm, and shooting into the zone is almost always a guaranteed takeover, with a high likelihood of also getting a few kills.

I believe our comp was Bloblobber, K Splattershot, Roller, and Enperry dualies. The KShot would missile, the Blob would storm, and we would all paint the zone from our maximum ranges. Worked just swell.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Missiles have one good use from what I've found, and that's pushing into zone and disrupting the enemy line. Maps with larger zones (my example will be Musselforge because that's what my team has the most experience with) popping missiles, Inkstorm, and shooting into the zone is almost always a guaranteed takeover, with a high likelihood of also getting a few kills.

I believe our comp was Bloblobber, K Splattershot, Roller, and Enperry dualies. The KShot would missile, the Blob would storm, and we would all paint the zone from our maximum ranges. Worked just swell.
Yeah I could see that as a useful option, though if anything you should be focusing on retake of the whole map not just capping zone. There are wayyyy more ways to just cap zone like baller or bomb rush or bubbles or really anything but think about how you can follow up capping zone w getting picks every time not just “happens if it happens.” This always includes strong killing specials like ray or baller or inkjet and such.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Yeah I could see that as a useful option, though if anything you should be focusing on retake of the whole map not just capping zone. There are wayyyy more ways to just cap zone like baller or bomb rush or bubbles or really anything but think about how you can follow up capping zone w getting picks every time not just “happens if it happens.” This always includes strong killing specials like ray or baller or inkjet and such.
That's why I said it could be useful on maps with larger zones, where getting zone is getting map control as well, especially on something like Musselforge or Sturgeon.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Stingray can literally end your TC or RM game. I mean I’m personally terrible with it but there’s a reason why so many still want it nerfed again. On the right map, it’s a pain in the a** to deal with. I think hammer is the worst. Hard to control and people can easily get out of the way. And those with good awareness know if you’re gonna throw it at them. My favorite special will always be ink cloud. I love how it can lock a team out or put distance between you and the enemy. If they’re already weak you get lucky and kill them with your cloud. :)

NekoBlast

Inkling
If I have to choose one of the weakest, I'd choose Tenta Missiles.
FYI, to deal with missiles, stay in one place until you hear the hissing sound or see the dots on the ground, then move. This way all missiles fall in a small area, so you don't lose turf and don't mess up team mates.
Stamp was weak, but it just got buffed. I can't tell how good it is right now.
Sting Ray has little use in Turf War, but it is super strong in many maps & modes in ranked. It is actually one of the stronger specials.
My favorite special is Ink Armor. It is incredibly strong on every map and every mode.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
Yeah, no. Sting Ray is faaaar from the worst special. It's a great way to see positions and denying access to the tower, plus if you can predict where the enemy is going to move, you can get an easy kill.

The BEST special, in my opinion, is between Stingray and Baller. Sting Ray I've already said, and Baller because of it's lethal... ness. It can also be used to paint the zone and chase down the rainmaker.

The worst special is DEFINITELY Splash Down. While not terrible, most players are able To take it down relatively easy, and is usually only useful for a safe superjump. Before the new update, I thought the Ultra Stamp was pretty lackluster, though now it's actually kinda decent from what I've seen.

My most favourite special is the Booyah Bomb. It's super fun to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom