• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Opinions on Being Targeted

Kaaz!n

Inkling
NNID
Necro84
Switch Friend Code
SW-5692-9200-1434
Basically being targeted for those who don't know is when a player or group of players on the enemy team needlessly focus on you when they could be accomplishing the goal or doing something else to help out their team.

With that out of the way I would like to know......
What are your opinions on Being Targeted????

Personally I find being targeted to be a great honor as it either means one of two things either they:
A. Know I am a huge if not the biggest threat to their victory so I need to be neutralized as much as possible
B. If multiple of them have to come at me it just shows how much higher my skill is if I can survive a 2 or 3v1 with no help
C. Means I have managed to play well enough to frustrate my opponent and blind them into only focusing on me and not the objective which means I can take him where I want to go and force him to pursue me effectively taking him away from a potentially bad situation for his own team granted his my team is in a 3v3 because I'm baiting him away from the objecive but if my team is deep in their territory he's not getting back in time to help his team. before we can at least tack on a few extra points and that's if he does kill me or decide to give up the chase in the latter case of which I can just shoot him in the back while he's not paying attention.

That's just what I personally think
What about you?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Anything in order to aid pushing the objective.

Anybody being an obstruction to reaching the end goal is a target. Have a decent Charger or Splatling on a perch who it doing a fair job suppressing other members of my team, they become somebody I may focus on. Either confront them in a ranged battle, or try to sneak up from the side or under them.

The same applies for people targeting me. Especially if I'm playing Heavy Splatling Deco on Splat Zones, being as I'm probably the biggest contributor to maintaining the zone out of enemy reach, I do find myself a target or people trying to flank. It's just part of the game and I simply just have to try and be ready for it. Be observant of the typical entry points and either take them out when approaching or ward them off.

Kaaz!n

Inkling
NNID
Necro84
Switch Friend Code
SW-5692-9200-1434
Anything in order to aid pushing the objective.

Anybody being an obstruction to reaching the end goal is a target. Have a decent Charger or Splatling on a perch who it doing a fair job suppressing other members of my team, they become somebody I may focus on. Either confront them in a ranged battle, or try to sneak up from the side or under them.

The same applies for people targeting me. Especially if I'm playing Heavy Splatling Deco on Splat Zones, being as I'm probably the biggest contributor to maintaining the zone out of enemy reach, I do find myself a target or people trying to flank. It's just part of the game and I simply just have to try and be ready for it. Be observant of the typical entry points and either take them out when approaching or ward them off.
Well said, I play a lot of forge pro and jet squelcher as well as bloblobber so I abuse the frick frack frazzle dazzle out of my range and you always have to be ready for people to try to flank thankfully splash walls can be your eyes for a few seconds which is very helpful. And like you said the people who are most likely to be target are the ones who you perceive as the biggest threats to your victory.

techton

Senior Squid
I play turf the most, so I often use weapons that I'm completely unfamiliar with when I play.
I personally hate it when I find myself getting targeted by a player who knows I'm bad at the weapon I'm running just to rub salt in the wound.
The latter, of course, is what you mentioned; being targeted from being the biggest threat, which I'm fine with if that were to be the case.

Cephalobro

I often target snipers since they can completely lock out certain areas. Once those areas are freed, then my teammates can continue on to cover them and focusing on any remaining opponents with a little less pressure. This is especially crucial in Moray Towers since E-Liters in particular can lock out certain areas.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
So recently I’ve been playing the Custom Hydra to great success in Splat Zones. I often get 10+ kills and the opponents usually see me as a notable obstacle and I’ll wind up getting tunnel visioned. I’m 100% okay with it, and it’s helped me get better at predicting enemy movements; it’s almost comical how I can have completely separate games with brand new players, and every single Splattershot, N-Zap, Splash, Sploosh, and Dapple will come through the same flanking route on every map. My favourite is in Ancho V Games where people come up the right side pillar to rush me down. It’s become a game for me to try and bait them into climbing the pillar so I can get a clean shot at them; usually it’s pretty obvious when they’re there, so I just keep them in my field of view while aiming at the objective, readying a shot for them when they feel like they can make their move.

heyitschad

Inkling
NNID
scuzyxzero
Switch Friend Code
SW-2554-9598-1105
It’s one thing to target someone at the moment for game reasons, its another when its because they become upset. I usually play charger/splatling and it often happens. Yes it is free entertainment for me when several go after me. I usually don’t mind considering like you said it distracts the opposing team and lets my teammates push that much harder. One thing that does allow me to last longer is being on the move. Depending on your opponents, camping can be either a good decision or bad. I try to find a few places I can stay reasonably safe in. There are plenty of times I will hop into the front or mid-field if I see my team struggling or we need to push deeper. Also I intentionally target other support players for this exact same reason.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
I personally hate being targeted; it seems to happen a lot in real life, too (thankfully not with weapons, though). I feel it's like bullying and it makes me feel sad and depressed. I guess because it feels like I'm the worst player and can't fight back. I'm vulnerable and completely helpless. Very frustrating in a nutshell!

Kaaz!n

Inkling
NNID
Necro84
Switch Friend Code
SW-5692-9200-1434
I personally hate being targeted; it seems to happen a lot in real life, too (thankfully not with weapons, though). I feel it's like bullying and it makes me feel sad and depressed. I guess because it feels like I'm the worst player and can't fight back. I'm vulnerable and completely helpless. Very frustrating in a nutshell!
Yeah I can understand that but hey just keep in mind if they target you because you're the weakest link or at least they think you are that just means they lack any confidence in their own skill and trust me you are not the worst splatoon player...... I've seen way worse I've literally had a guy stand there and let me shoot him dead. I'm sure you aren't that bad

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I was subject to bullying a lot as a kid as well, and although I'm typically a pessimistic player I wouldn't feel like people are picking on you because you've become a target. Sometimes it's as benign as "I see you, I'll shoot you" with no particular objective in mind. What gets severely irritating is when you get splatted, make your way back to the field only to get splatted by the same person who was hiding there waiting for you. -and even THEN I wouldn't consider it bullying, they're mostly just being a scumbag.

As @Kaaz!n said, I wouldn't ever consider yourself the worst player. I've seen people try to squish me with a Carbon Roller, and I've seen other people get squished by an Inkbrush because they got hit by it five times consecutively like a homing missile. You may not be good at fighting back, but that could be because of any number of things. What weapons do you normally play?

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
I was subject to bullying a lot as a kid as well, and although I'm typically a pessimistic player I wouldn't feel like people are picking on you because you've become a target. Sometimes it's as benign as "I see you, I'll shoot you" with no particular objective in mind. What gets severely irritating is when you get splatted, make your way back to the field only to get splatted by the same person who was hiding there waiting for you. -and even THEN I wouldn't consider it bullying, they're mostly just being a scumbag.

As @Kaaz!n said, I wouldn't ever consider yourself the worst player. I've seen people try to squish me with a Carbon Roller, and I've seen other people get squished by an Inkbrush because they got hit by it five times consecutively like a homing missile. You may not be good at fighting back, but that could be because of any number of things. What weapons do you normally play?
The last part seems to always be true in my case...I get back to the field after being splatted and instantly (or almost instantly) am targeted and/or splatted again by the same player time and again. I guess they are just being scumbags (to use your word :) ). I'll try to remember that next time it happens! :D Thanks!

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
The last part seems to always be true in my case...I get back to the field after being splatted and instantly (or almost instantly) am targeted and/or splatted again by the same player time and again. I guess they are just being scumbags (to use your word :) ). I'll try to remember that next time it happens! :D Thanks!
Try and watch what they do in your death cam. Often if you get flanked by a short range weapon, they’ll cover the area and hide in a corner to splat you again. Your best bet is to cover that area from a distance, throw a bomb, or use a point sensor to flush them out.

KamaItachi

Inkling
So apparently there's some vendetta between myself and every goddamn Roller player out there because in any given game I end up spending half the match going back and forth with them

After a few games I just end up wanting to shoot every roller player on sight, objective be damned.

-*-

Full Squid
Basically being targeted for those who don't know is when a player or group of players on the enemy team needlessly focus on you when they could be accomplishing the goal or doing something else to help out their team.

With that out of the way I would like to know......
What are your opinions on Being Targeted????

Personally I find being targeted to be a great honor as it either means one of two things either they:
A. Know I am a huge if not the biggest threat to their victory so I need to be neutralized as much as possible
B. If multiple of them have to come at me it just shows how much higher my skill is if I can survive a 2 or 3v1 with no help
C. Means I have managed to play well enough to frustrate my opponent and blind them into only focusing on me and not the objective which means I can take him where I want to go and force him to pursue me effectively taking him away from a potentially bad situation for his own team granted his my team is in a 3v3 because I'm baiting him away from the objecive but if my team is deep in their territory he's not getting back in time to help his team. before we can at least tack on a few extra points and that's if he does kill me or decide to give up the chase in the latter case of which I can just shoot him in the back while he's not paying attention.

That's just what I personally think
What about you?
You must conquer or be conquered

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Usually if you're being targeted, you have something the enemy team finds annoying to deal with on their path to victory.

It could be just your main weapon
"Yeah there's a splatterscope on the enemy team, and none of our weapons reach him, so we'll focus him down".
So maybe they'll achieve this by throwing subs towards you, and then having one flank you. Or they'll give one of their teammates ink armor so they can reliably win the matchup.

It could be your skill level or they realize mid match you're destroying their team.
"Man this Brella is really giving our team trouble, maybe instead of focusing the clash blaster player, we can focus this guy"
This is a bit of a stretch, but it happens from time to time.

Or it could just be your special.
Say the game mode is Tower Control, and you're playing Vanilla Heavy. If the enemy team wants an undisturbed push, they're going to have to get your stingray out of the picture to have a peaceful tower ride. If they don't get rid of you, they can enjoy pushes destroyed by laser beams.

Either way, you're going to need a team with proper game sense (especially in solo) for your team to be able to decide what to do next, or you're voice chatting with your team in league or competitive. Focusing enemy team members may not be something you think about all the time, but it's a key to advancing forward as a player. Recognizing that making fights unfair for the enemy (starting fights with a 2v1) is advantageous for yourself.

Or it could just be as simple as "Oh no, bad guy is shooting my friend! I'll shoot him back."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom