• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Opinions on the new subs and specials?

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
As everyone already knows. Update 4.0 to now has introduced new weapons. Fizzy Bombs and Torpedoes for subs and Booyah Bomb and Ultra Stamp for specials. What's everyone's general thoughts on them? Do you think they're viable and will impact the current meta? Or do you think that they won't change much?

Do you think they should be buffed, nerfed, or left alone? Leave your thoughts here.

Wetboy >.<

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0714-7625-4602
Ahhh... Fizzy Bombs are so fun to use! Charging and releasing them is just so satisfying. They're good enough right where they're at.

Torpedos should probably be buffed to do a teensy bit more damage when not a direct hit. I guess they good be good potential "finishers", similar to the burst bomb, but stronger.

For the specials: Booyah Bomb is great in all ways, and is good being left alone. I was thinking that Ultra Stamp should have a shorter range when being thrown. If someone barely notices you from a far away distance, and posseses an Ultra Stamp, they would be able to throw it and immediately splat you, which is quite annoying.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Fizzy Bombs are a seriously cool area denial tool and I love the small micromanagement addition of charging them. It feels satisfying to use without being too cumbersome. Torpedos, though, are really underwhelming. Relatively slow trajectory, easily shot down and when they do land a direct hit, it's only as much as a Burst Bomb? Despite some small bonuses like limited tracking and splash damage pellets, it feels like the worst of both worlds from the Autobomb and Burst Bombs.

The Booyah Bomb is a neat special and as-is I think it's balanced quite well - it's a powerful area control special that has enough drawbacks to both you and your teammates that it's not always a must have. The only things I'd want to adjust is the armor you're given while using it since it's nearly impossible for one person to punish someone who's poorly placed while it's active and maybe making the special gain your teammates get a tad bit more substantial.

The Ultra Stamp, though... it feels sort of pointless. Maybe I just haven't been in the right situation for it to shine, but the vulnerability they were talking about in the reveal post is no joke and your protection from the front is shoddy as well. It feels like it's faster to start if you do a jump swing, but maybe that's just me? The best part about it is definitely the ability to throw it for a near-guarateed kill if you're accurate, but I don't think the downsides make up for it.

The real shame in all of this is that next month is supposed to be the last time we're getting new sets. Given a recent interview listing Splatoon 2 as an evergreen title, they might very well go back on that, but if they don't, whatever we're getting next is going to be the last hurrah for these, and at most a likely 4 weapons to each sub/special each is disappointing.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I can't stand the fizzy bombs, personally. They take too long to deploy and they leave you vulnerable while you're twitching around charging them. They're pretty good if you use them from a safe position, but they're much more niche than, say, Splat Bombs.

I actually kind of like the torpedoes, though. I was maining the Rockenburg Jr. for the splatfest, and I got more kills with the torpedoes than with the main (granted, not saying much for the Jr., but still). The tracking is really handy because you throw it up, meaning people can easily see it, and tell where it's going, from much further away than the autobomb. Sure, they can shoot it down, but this exposes them. It might be a bit ink-hungry for what you get, though--it felt about right with the Jr., but that's with the 110% ink tank.

I haven't seen the Booyah Bomb get a ton of great usage yet, but maybe people will learn. I keep seeing it get thrown against walls and obstacles. And it's so slow, there's a substantial opportunity cost there. Same with the Stamp, I don't think people have figured it out well enough to use it yet. You use specials so much more rarely than subs, the learning curve is much slower.

Ƶeno

Inkling
NNID
LuigiPlayer14
Switch Friend Code
SW-6550-1295-4233
I was thinking that Ultra Stamp should have a shorter range when being thrown. If someone barely notices you from a far away distance, and posseses an Ultra Stamp, they would be able to throw it and immediately splat you, which is quite annoying.
I think the ultra stamp throw is fair, it has a slow startup and it moves slowly in the air. Especially since doing anything else with the stamp is usually suicidal, so the throw is usually the only thing you can use in most situations.

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Booyah Bomb
Decently balanced. I'd drop the armor to around 300 (so you can actually kill the thing) but make the ball paint more and maybe expand faster too. It is literally impossible to kill someone while they have Booyah armor unless you get a few teammates. Because of this, Booyah has become both a better Inkstrike, but also a better Splashdown with how much armor you have.

Fizzy Bomb
Not really that useful imo, but certainly not bad. No balancing required.

Ultra Stamp
It has amazing potential. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I can almost never kill the enemy inkling with that giant hammer in the way. Then again, I also play Jet, which has a stupendously slow killtime so.... I can see it bieng used in RM and maybe CB too in the future.

Torpedo
A really good pressure tool if it's not the only thing on the field. Nintendo probably put it on the least fitting weapons too, Jr. and Undercover. Slap this thing on a long range weapon and I think it'll be solid.

Beaniegoose

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7682-3889-9866
Fizzy Bombs take a little too long to charge up for me. Honestly I'd knock about 40 frames off the total charge time for it and they'd be in a good spot. They zone really well and in the same vein as the Bloblobber it's really really good at making corridors completely impassable. They're kinda a joke in open terrain though, very easy to dodge so I guess that's natural balancing.

The Booyah Bomb is in a great spot balance wise IMO. Decent charge time, great for contesting objectives. As others have said in this thread it definitely has too much armor but that's kinda a small gripe because it has a lot of counterplay. A well placed Booyah Bomb can be amazing. A poorly used Booyah Bomb is a joke. Great addition to the game.

Ultra Stamp is... weak. Needs a buff for sure. The damage potential is fantastic but chargers and other high DPS weapons can take care of it wayyyy too easily even from the front. A semi-competent splat charger is basically GGs for that special. But it has a lot of potential and with some armor buffs it could also be a well-balanced special.

The Torpedo is... meh? I think the air speed needs to be buffed, or the damage needs to be buffed. To me right now it's just a worse autobomb. It's also on two weapons that just do not need that sub. Has potential for sure though.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
Ultra Stamp is... something. It's probably the hardest special to use properly since it has no protection besides the front and even then it's easy to take out, the throwing is nice because it gives you a ranged attack that while it can be dodged, is still really strong.

Fizzy Bomb is great! It's good for pressuring opponents and because it can be use to ink a path. (A tiny one) A like easy to dodge in the open and I feel it would be better on different weapons.

Torpedo is pretty meh. Not a whole good about it, it's nice that it flies toward the enemy though and the tiny bombs that get released do nice chip damage. I hate that it can be shot down, if it took more than one shot I'd probably like it more.

Booyah Bomb has become my favourite special. It's like Inkstrike ans Splashdown combined and it's just lovely! I do think it should paint a bit more and should give teammates more of their special charged.

-*-

Full Squid
As everyone already knows. Update 4.0 to now has introduced new weapons. Fizzy Bombs and Torpedoes for subs and Booyah Bomb and Ultra Stamp for specials. What's everyone's general thoughts on them? Do you think they're viable and will impact the current meta? Or do you think that they won't change much?

Do you think they should be buffed, nerfed, or left alone? Leave your thoughts here.
The creators saved the most ****ed up parts for last. Splatoon 2 is enjoying its last hoorah, splatoon 3 will be coming out next summer. Hence the introduction of increadibly unnecessary and ridiculous specials. The game is by far the fastest moving shooting game in existence, why tf complicate it with torpedoes when there are already tenta missles? The creators have more room to mess around since the game is in its last chapters. Booyah bomb is great because I truly despise the snobs who can say “ouch” but not “booyah” always booyah back. Only a holes don’t, so the weapon is excellent for attacking and rallying the team around a common cause.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The creators saved the most ****ed up parts for last. Splatoon 2 is enjoying its last hoorah, splatoon 3 will be coming out next summer. Hence the introduction of increadibly unnecessary and ridiculous specials. The game is by far the fastest moving shooting game in existence, why tf complicate it with torpedoes when there are already tenta missles? The creators have more room to mess around since the game is in its last chapters. Booyah bomb is great because I truly despise the snobs who can say “ouch” but not “booyah” always booyah back. Only a holes don’t, so the weapon is excellent for attacking and rallying the team around a common cause.
I hope this is satire.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
It is. And Bro eat sh*t and stop hopping on all of my threads
Lmao.

I only ask if it's satire because I've seen similar things on this site that aren't.
(*Cough* AgentXSalad *Cough*)

-*-

Full Squid
User was warned for this post
Lmao.

I only ask if it's satire because I've seen similar things on this site that aren't.
(*Cough* AgentXSalad *Cough*)
That’s what pisses me off. I don’t mind youre a prick and have no life and want to troll. It’s that you repeatedly say I’m whoever the hell youre talking about. First it’s x now it’s agent x salad. It’s really annoying and that’s why you’re trolling so hard. I don’t even know who you’re talking about but this endless trolling of any post I make over mistaken identity is getting old and worn out. Not sure if you’re gay for that player or something but do me a favor and stay off my posts

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
That’s what pisses me off. I don’t mind youre a prick and have no life and want to troll. It’s that you repeatedly say I’m whoever the hell youre talking about. First it’s x now it’s agent x salad. It’s really annoying and that’s why you’re trolling so hard. I don’t even know who you’re talking about but this endless trolling of any post I make over mistaken identity is getting old and worn out. Not sure if you’re gay for that player or something but do me a favor and stay off my posts
I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about. I was wondering if your post was satire, since A. It is hard to convey meaning and tone through text exclusively, and B. I've heard lower-level people actually say similar things. I am not a troll, I just wanted to make sure you weren't being serious, seeing as it was a preposterous claim. If I have ever asked similar questions on other post (I don't recall any) it was for the same reason.
It is. And Bro eat sh*t and stop hopping on all of my threads
Since you had told me the first post was satire, I had assumed, since this one is just as ridiculous, that it fell under the same category.

Now, let's look at the definition of "Internet Troll:"
"Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

"someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

Kawalski, analysis!

Sounds a bit like someone I know. Hmmmmmmmm, who could it be?

I'm only joking.

If anything, aren't I complimenting you? I basically told you that your sarcasm was so thick, a well-trained satirist such as myself couldn't determine if it was a joke or not. That's praise in your direction. You should be PROUD of the fact that there was a, albeit slight, thought in my mind that you were being serious.

On a side note, AgentXSalad is X's full tag.

-*-

Full Squid
I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about. I was wondering if your post was satire, since A. It is hard to convey meaning and tone through text exclusively, and B. I've heard lower-level people actually say similar things. I am not a troll, I just wanted to make sure you weren't being serious, seeing as it was a preposterous claim. If I have ever asked similar questions on other post (I don't recall any) it was for the same reason.

Since you had told me the first post was satire, I had assumed, since this one is just as ridiculous, that it fell under the same category.

Now, let's look at the definition of "Internet Troll:"
"Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

"someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

Kawalski, analysis!

Sounds a bit like someone I know. Hmmmmmmmm, who could it be?

I'm only joking.

If anything, aren't I complimenting you? I basically told you that your sarcasm was so thick, a well-trained satirist such as myself couldn't determine if it was a joke or not. That's praise in your direction. You should be PROUD of the fact that there was a, albeit slight, thought in my mind that you were being serious.

On a side note, AgentXSalad is X's full tag.

I DONT KNOW OR CARE WHO X IS. F**K X

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I DONT KNOW OR CARE WHO X IS. F**K X
This reaction proves you have no counterargument.

Fizzy Bombs take a little too long to charge up for me. Honestly I'd knock about 40 frames off the total charge time for it and they'd be in a good spot. They zone really well and in the same vein as the Bloblobber it's really really good at making corridors completely impassable. They're kinda a joke in open terrain though, very easy to dodge so I guess that's natural balancing.

The Booyah Bomb is in a great spot balance wise IMO. Decent charge time, great for contesting objectives. As others have said in this thread it definitely has too much armor but that's kinda a small gripe because it has a lot of counterplay. A well placed Booyah Bomb can be amazing. A poorly used Booyah Bomb is a joke. Great addition to the game.

Ultra Stamp is... weak. Needs a buff for sure. The damage potential is fantastic but chargers and other high DPS weapons can take care of it wayyyy too easily even from the front. A semi-competent splat charger is basically GGs for that special. But it has a lot of potential and with some armor buffs it could also be a well-balanced special.

The Torpedo is... meh? I think the air speed needs to be buffed, or the damage needs to be buffed. To me right now it's just a worse autobomb. It's also on two weapons that just do not need that sub. Has potential for sure though.
Back onto the subject of balance, chopping 40 (!!!) frames off the Fizzy charge time would be insane. That's over half of the charge time out the window. Fizzy would be way too strong.

I think Stamp is fine. You might be easy to take out, but you have options to fight just about any weapon. Hold ZR to take out short ranges and chuck that thing to fight backliners.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
Fizzy
eh. eh. ehhh. I like it. I find it useful to throw down linear passage ways/ramps. I think it mostly suffers from not knowing what it's trying to be. It's somehow stuck in some sort of weird limbo, where its both useful and has no use haha. It just kinda seems vaguely good at turfing and vaguely good at killing, but it isn't unquestionably good at anything.

Torpedo
Not really a fan. The thing has one hp, and can be shot down by literally anything. One splatling pellet, one charger tap-shot, one tap from a sprinkler. I can see it's use if there's a lot happening on screen, and you can't really give the torpedo any time to be dealt with. But at the same time, it's not even hard to just avoid it altogether. The thing moves a mile a millenia. I'd probably just give it the ability to have more than one active at any given time, and maybe have it take more than one shot to take down. Otherwise, I think it shows some amount of potential if buffed right.

Booyah Bomb
I aint gonna lie, this is slowly turning into one of my favorite specials. I think the idea of pressing booyah to charge it is a little dumb, but I think it's an absolutly solid special. i'd probably only change how effectivly it can ink tho, as it's a little lackluster. But aside from that, I quite like it.

Ultra Stamp
I'd probably just change the speed of its initial swing, as its kinda slow. I don't really know if this special is bad, or if I just suck with it haha. Gotta admit tho, throwing it and then killing someone is super fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom