• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Original Squid Sisters: Straight Outta Calamari County

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753

So, this version of Calamari Inkantation was uploaded recently, apparently part of the official Splatune album (or related to it somehow. Honestly, I'm foggy on the facts.)

Anyways, I am sort of in love with this traditional folk sounding version of the song!
It's even connected to the Sunken Sea scroll lore, like that one scroll referring to this song as customary chorus of Calamari county.
What do other people think of this version?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet

So, this version of Calamari Inkantation was uploaded recently, apparently part of the official Splatune album (or related to it somehow. Honestly, I'm foggy on the facts.)

Anyways, I am sort of in love with this traditional folk sounding version of the song!
It's even connected to the Sunken Sea scroll lore, like that one scroll referring to this song as customary chorus of Calamari county.
What do other people think of this version?
holy carp, i love this. i could hear the religious influences in the techno version, but this is very "celebratory." a nice little easter egg to the people who follow the lore.

what's going on at the end, though? it's rather ominous...

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
I am in 100% love with this version~!
The beautiful anthem for their land. uvu
I already listen to this for the beginnin' of the day!
Such a beautiful song remix'd or not!

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Interestingly enough, I don't think I heard the squid sisters' voices in this.
I love that what you can hear, though, is sounds of the sea or an open market and different age groups. Then all of the traditional Japanese instruments like a shamisen and lute. And the "YOOOO's"
Those are important.

As for world building, this was probably stuff the young squid sisters listened to growing up? Inspired them?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
To confirm, yes, this is off of splatune. The tracklist was released some time in september and this was listed.

On the subject of Splatune, I just clicked on the person's upload of "Splattack! (Jam Session)", which is the music that plays in the tutorial. When the song was ripped from the game, it was found to be unable to loop and it ended awkwardly; a cool guitar effect before cutting out to a sweet bass solo, which was abruptly ended. Presumably the bass solo part was just looped when you got to the launchpad that took you to inkopolis plaza. Anyway, seems they just looped the guitar effect thing to fade out. Still sounds awkward, but I guess with a jam session that epic, it's hard to really make it come to an end.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Now my imagination came up with a mental image of the young Squid Sisters in miko costumes during a festival.

Worldbuilding fanon: The Squid Sisters modernized a bunch of traditional Inkling cultural traditions when they hit the bigtime in Inkopolis, so things like the Splatfest are based on old festivals that may still be happening in Calamari County.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Now my imagination came up with a mental image of the young Squid Sisters in miko costumes during a festival.

Worldbuilding fanon: The Squid Sisters modernized a bunch of traditional Inkling cultural traditions when they hit the bigtime in Inkopolis, so things like the Splatfest are based on old festivals that may still be happening in Calamari County.
It's awesome because this sort of goes with how the Squid sisters were supposed to be Shrine maidens in early designs. Maybe they even could have been when they were younger? (Headcanon maybe?)

Also, I'm pretty sure they say that Splatfest is just "an excuse to party" but it could totally be Callie and Marie trying to share their childhoods with Inkopolis. I would want to see adorable Calamari childhood in festival yukatas and everything.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Since this is a folk song it should be quite old, right? Maybe well before the Great Turf War old?

Now I'm imagining squids and octos joining togheter to sing this tune in festivals, at least before the war started.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Very relaxing and peaceful. This song makes you feel the culture's likely relaxed way of living and it's a different experience compared to Inkopolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom