• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Paper Mario? Paper, clay, ink, and wool assets for 2016 game?

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
If we get Paper Mario for this year we'll have, effectively, four beautiful 'craft-material' based game styles.

Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo found a way to milk all these different assets in one game?

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Can't even imagine how that would look like lol The styles of those games are so different i dont think they would fit in one game

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
Can't even imagine how that would look like lol The styles of those games are so different i dont think they would fit in one game
I could definitely picture card-board cut-out characters in Woolly World or at times even Rainbow Curse, or ink and paper interacting, or flowing ink and clay as ground/rocks.

Leigh

Inkster Jr.
Any Paper Mario would be amazing if they followed the formula of the first two games.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
Any Paper Mario would be amazing if they followed the formula of the first two games.
How about one that is a bit like Thousand Year Door but with the flip mechanic from Super Paper Mario?

Leigh

Inkster Jr.
How about one that is a bit like Thousand Year Door but with the flip mechanic from Super Paper Mario?
Why they didn't do that in Sticker Star + ability to play as Peach, Bowser and Luigi again is beyond me.

Why fix what isn't broken??

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
As long as no mechanics from sticker star are in, and it's similar to the first three games I'm good. Sticker star was trash.

Leigh

Inkster Jr.
As long as no mechanics from sticker star are in, and it's similar to the first three games I'm good. Sticker star was trash.
Amen to that. What were they thinking during development?

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I have no clue, I feel like it was intended for people under the age of 12. I couldn't even get through a lets play of the game tbh.

Also personally I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario. The story with Tipi and everything was great, and art style was clutch. Also Mr. L. Just Mr. L.

Leigh

Inkster Jr.
Also personally I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario. The story with Tipi and everything was great, and art style was clutch. Also Mr. L. Just Mr. L.
I really enjoyed it as well, but it was my first PM game so I could be a bit biased.
I thought the best part is
when Mario and Co. died. It was really unexpected (especially being a kid when I first played it) and the whole concept was really cool.
and lets not forget about one of the most disturbing tracks in a video game:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I really enjoyed it as well, but it was my first PM game so I could be a bit biased.
I thought the best part is
when Mario and Co. died. It was really unexpected (especially being a kid when I first played it) and the whole concept was really cool.
and lets not forget about one of the most disturbing tracks in a video game:
Yeah the whole heaven hell thing was really cool. The only thing that was really lame about that game was the flopside pit of 100 trials, you could tell how lazy that got at the point.

Sharkpuncher

Inkling
A true successor to The Thousand Year Door would be a dream come true for me. Super Paper Mario was good, but it was too different from its predecessors for me. TTYD was one of my favorite games, period... SPM I can forgive, but Sticker Star was just toying with my heart, especially when I thought I saw the return of the partner system in some early screenshots...

Jacob777

Full Squid
NNID
Jacob_Games777
If there's another Paper Mario game announced I want it to be similar to the first one, it's the best one (haven't played TTYD). Sticker Star just felt too different and I don't want a sequel to it. Super Paper Mario wouldn't be a bad one for a sequel though

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
If a new game were to be announced, I wouldn't mind seeing some other art styles mixed in with what we have now. That is if they can manage to make it look good with the paper though.

I would like to see a new Paper Mario game sometime soon. We're due for a new game anytime soon, and the Wii U seems like a good console to make one on. The power of the Wii U could certainly make a good Paper Mario game. It would be nice if we could get the partner system back. They were a little more creative than the pixel things from Super Paper Mario. In other words, I would rather see the older mechanics get used rather than the more recent mechanics.

shrooby

Get Kraken
"They" were Miyamoto.
And Miyamoto thought that making a game that basically seemed like another TYD (which it apparently was in early development) wasn't a good idea, so he kept telling them to scrap ideas until they came to what we have now.
Also the decision to only use Mario characters and enemies which appear in the main-series (aside from Kersti) was also Miyamoto.

So yea it was Miyamoto being crazy.

At least the music was amazing imo.

Last edited:

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
If we get Paper Mario for this year we'll have, effectively, four beautiful 'craft-material' based game styles.

Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo found a way to milk all these different assets in one game?
I wouldn't call it "milking" the assets, I would call it... artistic or aesthetic theming. For example, they could use the "world" approach seen in Mario platformers. Make there be a Clay World, or a Yarn World, and a Paper World. They could get very creative with this idea by having levels in taken in the style of the games they emulate (Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Paper Mario).

Personally, I would love to see Nintendo extend this idea to other series that normally wouldn't get a artsy makeover, such as Fire Emblem, Metroid, or F-Zero. I know it is easier to makeover a light-hearted and "cute" looking game, but what about a darker more serious game? That would really be unique. But I'm sure that people don't like unique, they like familiar.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I wouldn't call it "milking" the assets, I would call it... artistic or aesthetic theming. For example, they could use the "world" approach seen in Mario platformers. Make there be a Clay World, or a Yarn World, and a Paper World. They could get very creative with this idea by having levels in taken in the style of the games they emulate (Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Paper Mario).

Personally, I would love to see Nintendo extend this idea to other series that normally wouldn't get a artsy makeover, such as Fire Emblem, Metroid, or F-Zero. I know it is easier to makeover a light-hearted and "cute" looking game, but what about a darker more serious game? That would really be unique. But I'm sure that people don't like unique, they like familiar.
Zelda could get away with it easiest I think. I'd play a wood carving themed Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom