• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Penalty Timer in Splat Zones

Teshie U

Inkster Jr.
Having trouble wrapping my mind around this concept. As lame as it already is to be punished for taking the lead first, why does the game REPEATEDLY punish you?

How is it fair that the penalty timer keeps rising even though you never scored more points (all you did was reduce the penalty timer)?

The silly comeback mechanic makes splat zones feel almost as casual as turf war.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
IMO its kinda lame. 1 point away from losing and my team decided to spam all our aggressive specials just to give them a 97 penalty and to take the zone back. After that we went from 100 to 0

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
The system is a bit frustrating. Like Vesetnet said though, it doesn't punish whoever gets the zone first. Even if they take it from you, if you take it back they're in the same boat. It's also necessary to prevent the zone from flip-flopping too much. You need to hold it for long periods at a time to win.
How is it fair that the penalty timer keeps rising even though you never scored more points (all you did was reduce the penalty timer)?
I TOTALLY agree here though... it just feels awful to make no progress.

My friend recommended having the penalty always count down. This way getting a lead is more rewarding, but there are still comebacks, and no flip-flopping. Still not certain it that would be healthy.

Teshie U

Inkster Jr.
I'm fine with the massive +75 you get when its 10-100. I can handle that, but then when you take the zone back and bring the timer down to like +10, the game will raise it back to +75 again.

I didn't ACTUALLY make any more progress towards victory. The losing team can actually more easily score points by flip flopping the zone as they only get a few seconds each time and I am repeatedly punished for being in the lead.

Vesetnet

Inkling
NNID
Vesetnet
Except that you DID get progress towards victory, you ran down the game timer and your opponents got no extra points. If you hold it enough and they take it for a second before losing it a couple times, it'll eventually get to the point where the penalties are inconsequential.

Or much more likely, you timeout and win because you hold the lead. If you lose the lead, it means that your team lost the point and then was unable to get back to control for a significant amount of time, significant enough for the opposing team to take control and keep it til the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom