• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Plans for a Splatoon Weapons Tier List

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
Hello kids and squids, I've been playing Splatoon since the beginning and I was thinking about how would weapons work in various modes. It's been bothering me that that Squidboards doesn't have a weapon tier list and it is weird that no one ever posted this subject at hand even though Splatoon is out for a few months.So, people of Squidboards, I made this for the possibility of a weapon tier list and we can discuss how can it set up for this list and evolve as the meta change.

Here we can classify how the weapon can be placed in the list:
1.Versatility-How well the weapon work during a match.(Main,Subs,Specials)
2.Uses in Modes-How well the weapon work in these modes.
3.Uses in Stages-How well the weapon work in stages.
4. Uses in Combat-How well the weapon work in combat.
5.Matchups-How well the weapon work against other weapons.

If I miss any key points feel free to ask me:)

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
It's been bothering me that that Squidboards doesn't have a weapon tier list and it is weird that no one ever posted this subject at hand even though Splatoon is out for a few months.
People did try to make tier lists. Many of them, in fact. The problem is that each one was created by a single person or, at best, a small group of people. As a result, they were all just based on personal anecdotes. All that they really accomplished was showing that no single person has the data, insight, and authority necessary to create a proper tier list.

Creating a proper tier list would require much more effort than people's typical haphazard approach, which usually boils down to "I use Weapon A a lot, so I think it's good. People who use Weapon B give me a lot of trouble, so it must also be good. Weapon C doesn't do crap for me, and I hardly ever see it online, so it's trash." You can't just rely on your personal intuition; you have to compile a lot of data and get a wide variety of perspectives (from qualified players, mind you) in order to get a really good idea of what each weapon is worth.

There's also the matter of setting proper criteria for judging each weapon. Possible factors include the mode, the stage, the weapon's synergy with other weapons that could be on its team (which are chosen ahead of time in Squad Battles and tourneys but are essentially random in solo queue Ranked), and the weapon's ability to deal with other weapons on the opposing team. Taking all that into account and deciding where to make conditional splits in determining each weapon's rank is no simple task.

tl;dr: Making a good tier list takes a lot of hard work and cooperation. That's why there still isn't anything resembling an official tier list, even though it's "already been a few months."

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
People did try to make tier lists. Many of them, in fact. The problem is that each one was created by a single person or, at best, a small group of people. As a result, they were all just based on personal anecdotes. All that they really accomplished was showing that no single person has the data, insight, and authority necessary to create a proper tier list.

Creating a proper tier list would require much more effort than people's typical haphazard approach, which usually boils down to "I use Weapon A a lot, so I think it's good. People who use Weapon B give me a lot of trouble, so it must also be good. Weapon C doesn't do crap for me, and I hardly ever see it online, so it's trash." You can't just rely on your personal intuition; you have to compile a lot of data and get a wide variety of perspectives (from qualified players, mind you) in order to get a really good idea of what each weapon is worth.

There's also the matter of setting proper criteria for judging each weapon. Possible factors include the mode, the stage, the weapon's synergy with other weapons that could be on its team (which are chosen ahead of time in Squad Battles and tourneys but are essentially random in solo queue Ranked), and the weapon's ability to deal with other weapons on the opposing team. Taking all that into account and deciding where to make conditional splits in determining each weapon's rank is no simple task.

tl;dr: Making a good tier list takes a lot of hard work and cooperation. That's why there still isn't anything resembling an official tier list, even though it's "already been a few months."
That's why I need all the help I can get. I'm not making it based opon my opinions. It is for the community to discuss about making a proper tier list.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I feel it'd make sense to create a "viability thread" (just taking the name from another forum I dabbled in) where everyone gives input on where things should be. It's easy for someone to say their main weapon is the best in the game, but I'm sure with a consensus among other competent players we could get a tier list going that shows how weapons stack up among one another. These thing are always nice for people getting into competitive games, I don't see how this would be any different.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
There are already a few tier lists out there.

here
's a pretty good one, while i don't agree with everything on it it's still very accurate.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Since we now have tournament listings and results, it shouldn't really be a problem to have someone spectating keeping track of what weapons and gear get used. There's no need for personal anecdotes when you can just go watch the competitions and see for yourself. This is how it's handled in every other competitive game, and there's no reason to change that.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I made this about a month ago and people called me an idiot for ranking Luna and Dynamo so high. I'm sure now with Japan crushing US teams they'll stop disagreeing

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I think a tier list for every different mode would make more sense. That way, even a weapon that sucks in 3/4 modes, the weapon can shine in the mode that it excels in.

I made this about a month ago and people called me an idiot for ranking Luna and Dynamo so high. I'm sure now with Japan crushing US teams they'll stop disagreeing
Anyone who underestimates the Dynamo Roller must have never battled one with a short to medium range weapon.

Though I must ask, why is the mini splatling higher than the heavy one? It's probably the only thing on your list that I don't agree with. That and the Splash-o-matic being low, but I'm not here to argue that.

EDIT: Having used the mini splatling more since I posted this comment, I admit it can really put in work. I still prefer the range of the heavy splatling, and the splash wall is still a tremendous sub.

Last edited:

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
I think a tier list for every different mode would make more sense. That way, even a weapon that sucks in 3/4 modes, the weapon can shine in the mode that it excels in.

Anyone who underestimates the Dynamo Roller must have never battled one with a short to medium range weapon.

Though I must ask, why is the mini splatling higher than the heavy one? It's probably the only thing on your list that I don't agree with. That and the Splash-o-matic being low, but I'm not here to argue that.
That's the problem, they have personal preferences. We need to agree on it for its most optimal position in the list not just because everyone is using or not

Power

Inkling Commander
I feel like the idea has been done before and people already have a general idea on the "best" weapons. However things change and going further I feel we should break it down into best for each mode, or even maps. Whether or not someone is up to the task, I don't know, which raises the question, is it really worth it?

If so, than I would suggest getting opinions and start analyzing game play from several top teams. Try to avoid theory crafting, as tiers are just a representation of the meta at the moment.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
However things change and going further I feel we should break it down into best for each mode, or even maps.
This is very true. I (mostly) take back what I originally said. Some weapons are great for certain modes, even for certain maps alone, but terrible for others. So it's practically like there would need to be an individual tier list for every possible combination. :cool::confused:

Power

Inkling Commander
This is very true. I (mostly) take back what I originally said. Some weapons are great for certain modes, even for certain maps alone, but terrible for others. So it's practically like there would need to be an individual tier list for every possible combination. :cool::confused:
It should also be separated into what works for solo queue and actual organized play, as I feel many people mix in their ranked experience with the experiences of others in tournaments. No need to explain why that is problematic.

2xDair

Full Squid
NNID
Elecrogelion

I find myself agreeing with most of this list. I only see the Nozzlenose-D on your list though; what are your thoughts on the regular nozzlenose?

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I find myself agreeing with most of this list. I only see the Nozzlenose-D on your list though; what are your thoughts on the regular nozzlenose?
Assume branded/unbranded items not listed are either same tier or unreleased.

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
It should not be a tier in the typical sense of what is "best" but instead a diagram showing what beats what.

Water Inkling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jojobinki

I completely agree with u on this list. My problem is tho if people see it they may be discouraged to use other weapons. E.g someone has been using splash-o-magic since it came out like 3 months ago. They see this and they're like its crap I'll just use a tentatek since it's similar to it. I want to have variety when I play not just see weapons that people think are good. My main is regular blaster and n zap 85

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I completely agree with u on this list. My problem is tho if people see it they may be discouraged to use other weapons. E.g someone has been using splash-o-magic since it came out like 3 months ago. They see this and they're like its crap I'll just use a tentatek since it's similar to it. I want to have variety when I play not just see weapons that people think are good. My main is regular blaster and n zap 85
This is why I believe "Viability" is a better fit. Simply shows what weapons are the most viable in the most situations. It doesn't exactly insinuate that X weapon is trash, but instead requires more skill in order to be as viable as that of something above it. People tend to think of ranking as Good weapons are above A, and everything below is complete trash and if you use those weapons, you are also complete trash.

Either way, .96 Gal goes in S+ of course.

Water Inkling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jojobinki
This is why I believe "Viability" is a better fit. Simply shows what weapons are the most viable in the most situations. It doesn't exactly insinuate that X weapon is trash, but instead requires more skill in order to be as viable as that of something above it. People tend to think of ranking as Good weapons are above A, and everything below is complete trash and if you use those weapons, you are also complete trash.

Either way, .96 Gal goes in S+ of course.
Tru 96 is good and sorry for misunderstanding I would rlly Hate to see every team ( even the Japanese who find the Jr viable ) to just see 96, eliter scope, roller, rapid fire weapon at a tourney like inkstorm but still good tier list @Agosta44

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I do not believe this is unnecessary right now. The weapons meta is still being developed and probably will for a long time as new weapons and stages get released. Even with a large amount of opinions and stats we aren't there yet. However, @Of Moose & Men 's idea of a viability thread I think is a good idea right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom