• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Players Sabotage Turf Wars.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Idk if it's just me, but I've noticed a trend lately in Turf wars that bothers me.

I'll see two, sometimes 3 players either go all out, or completely screw around during a match, and they always seem to be together unless on the other team.

I think there are people purposely not playing when against their friends to help them win and level up easier/faster. Nothing confirmed, but I've noticed it for a while now and it's making turf wars extremely un-fun.

Thoughts?
Again, speculation, but it's not off base.

EDIT: I've had Splatoon 2 for about 3 weeks now and it's extremely noticeable, and I used to play Splatoon 1 non stop, so it's not as if I'm new to this sort of thing.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Are we talking about Squid parties? That stuff's been happening since S1.

Sabotaging has no real value in TW, seeing as you still get a fair share of points even if you lose. It'd be way more productive to just keep playing the game normally instead of doing it in a roundabout way like this.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I'll see two, sometimes 3 players either go all out, or completely screw around during a match, and they always seem to be together unless on the other team.
Hmmm, the easiest way to explain this is with a weird analogy because I like those so ye. If you've ever played TF2, you'd occasionally see a heavy crouching around with his fists out. Those players are friendly, and in Splatoon this Squid Partying is just another way to signal that they're friendly. I'd just leave them be, people enjoy the game in different ways. If they do it in ranked it's a problem, but there's no problem with them doing it in turf. It's not so much messing around to help their friends get more XP it's more like just messing around with their friends to do something silly.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've had it happen only a couple of times in Splatoon 2 thank god. But yeah, f*** people who intentionally mess up other people's matches. Even if that's not their intention, that's still what it amounts to.

It really sucks if you frequently have very busy periods in your life, and you just want to relax for half an hour only for someone to waste your time like this. With how Nintendo is currently locking people out who have internet issues pretty quickly (be it only for a few minutes), I kind of wonder why they're not doing anything about this kind of crap. If they aren't. Anyone participating in a squid party even once should be permabanned from the game at once.

It's complete BS to imply that it is a problem in ranked but not in Turf War.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
I get around it personally because I know you win even when you lose in turf wars, but my friend gets so frustrated and demotivated by consecutive losses (I'm talking like 10 in a row due to these kinds of players.) and I don't blame him. For him, being new and being stuck leveling up at such a snail pace (he's level 6, for example) has to be frustrating as ****.

It kinda ruins the fun. That's what turf wars all about. It almost makes me want to do the same thing they're doing for my friend, but I'd never.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
While there may be some blame on the players, ultimately the biggest problem is this game's matchmaking. Me (and probably several other people on here) can speak from experience that it's really poor. The game basically throws random people in one room without regard to level or weapon comps, turf war being especially guilty of this. Level 5< players sharing lobbies with level 45> players are an unfortunate but common sight even when this game was relatively new.

It works a little bit better in Ranked mode, but you gotta unlock that first.

DJ Particle

Senior Squid
NNID
DJParticle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0728-9987-8856
Frankly, I love a good Squid Party but... yeah, if your friend doesn't like it, have said friend back out of that lobby and get a new random lobby. :)

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
While there may be some blame on the players, ultimately the biggest problem is this game's matchmaking. Me (and probably several other people on here) can speak from experience that it's really poor. The game basically throws random people in one room without regard to level or weapon comps, turf war being especially guilty of this. Level 5< players sharing lobbies with level 45> players are an unfortunate but common sight even when this game was relatively new.

It works a little bit better in Ranked mode, but you gotta unlock that first.
It's 100% the players' decision to go squid party, how does that have anything to do with the matchmaking?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's 100% the players' decision to go squid party, how does that have anything to do with the matchmaking?
I'm still uncertain whenever Chie is talking about squid parties or just being shoved in lobbies with level 40> players, since in the second post they said that their friend had a losing streak, so i changed my mind and i assumed the latter. If everyone's squid partying, there's an even chance the partiers will be on the other team and as such it would not (normally) result a losing streak especially during multiple lobbies/sessions.

It would be the most logical conclusion because squid parties are rare as is and throughout my entire playtime I've never seen a case where one side would intentionally throw the game in order to give the other team a free win. It's completely unproductive especially if they intend on doing it to grind for cash/exp.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I've had it happen only a couple of times in Splatoon 2 thank god. But yeah, f*** people who intentionally mess up other people's matches. Even if that's not their intention, that's still what it amounts to.

It really sucks if you frequently have very busy periods in your life, and you just want to relax for half an hour only for someone to waste your time like this. With how Nintendo is currently locking people out who have internet issues pretty quickly (be it only for a few minutes), I kind of wonder why they're not doing anything about this kind of crap. If they aren't. Anyone participating in a squid party even once should be permabanned from the game at once.

It's complete BS to imply that it is a problem in ranked but not in Turf War.
Honestly, I have no problem with Squid Partying at all. It's a silly little thing that only adds to the personality of the game. People enjoy the game in different ways, and for some people it's very fun to just be a friendly and get others to join in. Permabanning people for being friendly seems stupid to me. It would just make Turf War feel more serious and pressure based, which makes no sense for a casual mode. Just carry on or join in. For me at least, after a bunch of heated turf games, it's always fun to just goof around squid partying.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
It’s situational.. If I get in a good lobby and have some players on my team that are good and we establish a type of teamwork ( as much as you can in solo lobby) they will eventually be on the other team. One or the other of us will establish we aren’t going to splat each other when we run into each other, maybe party for a minute because it’s fun;) I always try to actually win though..I don’t think there is any real reason to throw a turf war match other than to just be a troll..

Egg Queen

Full Squid
I've never heard of someone sabotaging a turf war battle to help a friend level up. Seems kinda dumb considering it's just turf wars.
For me, squid parties do seem a bit more common nowadays. I'm only able to play a few hours each weekend (bc college) but it seems like I'll encounter a squid party every two weekends or so. During thanksgiving break, I came across at least 3 different parties.
From my observation, it seems like it's just random. I've seen squid parties happen for multiple reasons- the opposing team has two DCs, the whole team booyahs a lot at the beginning, etc.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've seen players throw matches more than once when their friends were in the lobby. In one infuriating case, someone spent the entire match hopping across the stage, doing nothing else, finishing by hopping next to their clanner friends on the enemy team. I can't speak for how often this happens, but it DOES happen.
Honestly, I have no problem with Squid Partying at all. It's a silly little thing that only adds to the personality of the game. People enjoy the game in different ways, and for some people it's very fun to just be a friendly and get others to join in. Permabanning people for being friendly seems stupid to me. It would just make Turf War feel more serious and pressure based, which makes no sense for a casual mode. Just carry on or join in. For me at least, after a bunch of heated turf games, it's always fun to just goof around squid partying.
I wouldn't go as far as demanding bans like Minkukel did, but I had hundreds of matches ruined on the first game by players mashing the squid button instead of playing, in all modes. If 2 people participate in a squid party, that's 6 other people that are denied a fair match. It's not a huge deal at the end of the day, but at the same time... Between match throwers and squid parties, is it really asking so much to expect people to play the game?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
People enjoy the game in different ways,
That's no excuse to be a **** to others. Go do it in a private match or something.

And Turf War isn't supposed to be a casual mode. Just because the devs arbitrarily made a distinction between Ranked and 'normal' battle doesn't mean that people who primarily play Turf War should be the subject to bullcrap like this. Turf War is the mode I play mostly and it gets just as intense and serious as any other mode.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Seldomly I encounter fullblown squidparties (with more than just 2 or 3 players participating), but I often encounter small ones where 2 people in my team decide to do bugger all and then of course we end up with 20% us to 70% them, because 2 people decided to ruin the match for us.

The notion that they do it to be friendly misses the point. Splatoon 2 is not a "friendly" game, we're talking about a game mode called "Turf War".

Secondly, what MINKUKEL suggested is completely right: Turf War is not supposed to be a casual mode at all. It may be one to relax a little and try new weapons, but it's definitely not for just jumping around, smashing that booyah button and giggle with your partner in trolling-crime as the two other players in your team struggle to somehow gain control of this match that you decided to ruin for them.
There's always PBs if you want to just hop around.

Third, there is of course something you can lose through this. Many players, including myself, use Turf to work on gear. So we're running ol' Crusty's tickets while we spread the ink. An unneeded loss means a fight wasted: We get less exp./money/whatever else the coupon would've given us, had we won.

Fourth, it is other people's time you're wasting. Yeah, video games are a waste of time in itself, I know. But atleast let your teammates waste their free time more productively by playing your best, heh.

But I'm sure many of the people doing this are well aware of this. It's probably exactly the reason why they're doing it. I've always viewed squidparty-goers as trolls. Is it salty to complain about them? Yeah, most likely. But we have a right to!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I leave the lobby whenever I notice squid partyers... I like playing TW the standard way, and I feel bad when I splat the dancing squids while they're happily flopping about, so it feels better if I just leave them to their own devices. x*) I never report those players, but it can be a bit annoying to leave a room which was otherwise great to play in.

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Sometimes they do this to make friends since most of the time they have none

But that's just my piece of the pie

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
And banning them makes you more of the *******

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Needless to say but if you have friends then party with them and also to those who may think otherwise I also disagree since the switch lacks communication through a better miiverse and also because you can't say why your friending them so partying is really your only hope besides the forums

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Hooo boi, there's so much confusion-fu floating around, I can't help but explain a thing or two to you. First of all, "casual" does not mean "don't try at all", it means "there is no ranking / competitive playing involved". So trying to justify over-the-top and in-yo-face 3v4 curbstomps just because there's "War" in the English localization of Turf War by saying it's not a casual mode at all doesn't make you less of a jerk than those who actually, well, pull this kind of carp against teams who experience 1-2 DCs or consist of mainly lowbie-levels. Arguably them being thrown to the wolves ain't nice for everyone involved, but do-some just have to be over the top "my life rides on this" S+-battle style against them.

Second of all, throwing matches by either putting your console in sleep mode (DC) or not participating in the match by either squid partying or goofing around, filling the smallest gaps of ink or somethin' is still a bag of suck for everyone, casual mode or not. There's a good reason Private Battles exist where players can party hard without ruining the experience for a couple unlucky players, too bad most people who do this kinda stuff don't really care about others in the first place so they do it across all modes. Yeah, you read that right.

That being said, what makes a casual mode so fun is that there's a small portion of humor to be found for those who are open towards these things (and no, I'm not just talking Squidbagging, that's another can of worms I ain't openin' tonight), and I can't wait to land in another JP lobby again. They're casual with a side of gud play as I've found.

And finally, Edit function, use it. It's at the bottom-left of your posts. |3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom