• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Playing for Kills ... why?

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
i have only played this game for 2 days now and when i am not on with friends some of the other players on this game think this is another Call of Duty game ...

we lose every match but my team has a lot of kills but only like 20% of the map inked

is anybody having this problem? ... if so maybe we could team up on Skype and have a four player team :)

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
No, I don't have this problem generally because I play with friends. :P

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
It's incredibly annoying, to say the least. I hope people do realise that kills don't win games. It's frustrating when the game starts, and I ink around the spawn point, only to find once I'm done that my team have done nothing but make a straight line of ink charging straight at the enemy. Do they not realise it's a Turf War? A Turf War where our own ****ing side of the map apparently isn't worth marking, lmao.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
It's incredibly annoying, to say the least. I hope people do realise that kills don't win games. It's frustrating when the game starts, and I ink around the spawn point, only to find once I'm done that my team have done nothing but make a straight line of ink charging straight at the enemy. Do they not realise it's a Turf War? A Turf War where our own ****ing side of the map apparently isn't worth marking, lmao.
i agree ... people think i have a gun must need to get all them kills then its says defeat and they must get so confused lol

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Let people play the way they want to play. Geez. Or just play with a group of known people and stomp the players playing for kills.

tentanman

Inkling
NNID
Tentanman
Honestly the way I see it is when the match starts that's the most important point to rush forward and take choke spots. I shake my head at people who sit at base and paint when it starts because it's our base, we have three minutes of moving around, respawning, and defending to paint it. It's the easiest of access to us. We're better off fighting the enemy early on and getting to spots faster.

I win the majority of my games because by the time the enemy leaves they're base I'm already there killing them and painting their side

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Honestly the way I see it is when the match starts that's the most important point to rush forward and take choke spots. I shake my head at people who sit at base and paint when it starts because it's our base, we have three minutes of moving around, respawning, and defending to paint it. It's the easiest of access to us. We're better off fighting the enemy early on and getting to spots faster.

I win the majority of my games because by the time the enemy leaves they're base I'm already there killing them and painting their side
I think it depends a lot on your special weapon.

I spend a little more time inking the base because the Inkstrike is so stupidly good early on. If you nab a kill with that the enemy team just got put at a huge disadvantage. I mean, inking every pixel at the start isn't the best idea but don't just bee line for the action either. Unless you're on Salt Spray >x>

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
Let people play the way they want to play. Geez. Or just play with a group of known people and stomp the players playing for kills.
i would love to play with a bunch of people that knew but i have no friends that play this game in my time zone ... thats why i was hoping to find some friends on here that i can play with. :)

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09

yes that can be a good way to play but i play better with communication witch this game lacks

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
It may not be the main objective of Turf War, but it's definitely not a useless thing. Each enemy splatted is one less enemy painting the area, so if they're really efficient at taking out enemies, that could end up helping quite a bit.

Also, every shot they take is more area painted, so that helps as well.

Geistbox

Full Squid
An odd admission - even though kills aren't the goal, they're pretty satisfying all the same to pull off.

In spite of that I've found that killing people adds a lot to the strategy and meta of the game. I've found that in Saltspray I like to cover an extensive amount of unclaimed territory and then hold that point for a few seconds before an enemy inevitably approaches, and ambush them. That way I can temporarily disable one player and keep the turf managed while making headway toward more enemy/unclaimed territory, who now have less to fall back on.

Going solo in Splatoon is both a curse and a blessing depending on how you play your cards and kills have a lot to do with that. I kind of look forward to Ranked Battles - I might get more usage of the Blaster.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
starting to think that i am not a good player at this game lol

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Whenever I play as a charger I go for a kill centric approach by setting myself up in an important area (the crates on Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig, high platforms next to the center of Arowana Mall, central tower in Blackbelly Skatepark, and the side paths in Urchin Underpass) and doing my best to snipe any enemy who goes in that area. My goal is to help my team control that area, it's not about spreading lots of ink, it's about making sure my team can spread lots of ink safely.

I actually get annoyed when my score isn't the lowest amongst my team when I use that tactic, because the whole point of it is to have a terrible score in exchange for the rest of my team having terrific scores. Also when I look at the map and see that nobody has covered one of our side routes, doing that is basically the exact opposite of my job when I use lockdown tactics, so having to do it irritates me (especially when there's a roller on my team). I'm guessing that's what the op is talking about, people ignoring turf that's easy to take and hard to lose in favor of rushing into a fight.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
1. Paint
2. Check your surroundings
3. Splat enemies in your way
4. Paint

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
if your team is obsessed with killing, do the painting yourself. while they're forcing the other side back to their spawn point and having a good time, you can splat all the territory without anyone in your way

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
You're acting as if we're making some attempt to stop them playing this way, all we've done is say it's annoying. And it is, when it's causing a loss. You're acting like we're stripping people of their fun but all we're saying is it's not fun losing because the team is acting like it's a Team Deathmatch

I guess we disagree then, because those choke spots change possession so often throughout the game, it's a lot rarer that the enemy gets all the way to your base. If you paint your base first, and then move on to reclaim the choke spots the enemy have taken, not only do you as an individual get more points, but you have a big chunk of the map already painted that is far less likely to be reclaimed than the middle of the map.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
if your team is obsessed with killing, do the painting yourself. while they're forcing the other side back to their spawn point and having a good time, you can splat all the territory without anyone in your way
thats what i do ... nut they are not good at killing them most of the time so our base gets raided

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
what level do u unlock that?
I forget the level, but you need to do some of the story before you get it. I believe its the...3rd boss that gives the normal and another gives the golden one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom