• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Please stop taking the custom jr. into ranked

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I nearly lost a rank this morning because of people using the custom jr. I've seen one person get 9 kills with it ONCE and imagine how much better he would've been with another shooter. I understand that it's a new weapon but I just want it to die faster because every time someone with it is on my team they get like 2 kills and we lose. I still think the regular jr. is much better despite the armor nerf.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
Why do you suppose the opposing team is less likely to have a custom jr.?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
People can and will use whatever weapons they want, there's no stopping that mate. Plus the Custom Jr. is not even that bad, and I've seen myself and plenty others do well with it.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
My point was kind of that I think it was stupid a bunch of people took a weapon into S+ that they knew they would get like 2 kills with. Personally when I learn a new weapon I take it into turf war first then into ranked if I think I can win with it. I understand some people don't mind losing because they're such a high rank it doesn't matter or they can easily win and don't get many cracks but whatever. I regret posting this I was just angry that a bunch of people who were awful at a weapon were handicapping my team so much. People are getting better at it now (although they could be doing better with other weapons still) so I don't mind seeing shooting stars (custom jr) on my team anymore. I just didn't understand...

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
See: There were a lot Dual Squelcher as that weapon came out. There were almost no chance for me against all those Forge Splattershot Pros and now its the direct post-release of the Custom Splattershot Jr.. I even saw someone complaining that the Dual-Squelcher is OP but now I rarely see someone with that weapons, even I cant say its bad by any means because I main it.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I also hate if someone takes a weapon their not familiar with directly into ranked (even S+).
Happened alot when the brella came out.
The custom jr. is a different case as it still has the same main weapon, but still...
The weapon can be great in ranked but, you should first get the hang of a new weapon in turf before diving in ranked with no prior experience with it.
Also reason why you need to get to LV10 plus before you can do ranked.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
There is a problems with Chargers. I used more time with Chargers in Turf than any other weapons I learned to play. And I still can't play the Charger.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Lol how do you know they aren't bad to begin with? The custom jr. Isn't hard to use, it's a basic shooter. It's the same as the previous one just a different sub and special. I still feel you though, the goo tuber isn't even new and I wish people would stop using it in ranked...

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
So you're saying people should stop trying to test the weapons where it actually matters, i.e. in ranked instead of where you can't collect real data on their viability in certain game modes, read: turf?

I know it sucks when you lose a couple matches because someone hasn't picked the best weapon for the job (according to you) but let's be frank here for a moment: this is not restricted to new weapons... people would weapons that are not exactly viable for the mode in question all the time. Ask me about those matches I had where all my teammates were Aerosprays. Now hey, I won't blame them, maybe they can have a place in RM/TC and I'm not seeing it yet ... *shrugs* It's easy to pin the loss to "that one guy who picked this instead of that".
Even if he did only get two elims there's more to win/loss contribution than the count of your elims alone. Heck, I could've had a great back/mid support who's been turfing to keep area control and firing his special for area denial but it was our failed pushes and deaths at bad moments why we lost?

But I digress. Testing every new weapon in turf is a great notion if you haven't played the base weapon yet, in this case the Custom Jr. As long as it's a weapon that's viable for Turf, please do get the general feel of the weapon first. I think this is a given and it will not only benefit you but your team as well. But now imagine weapons that won't work in turf, like Lunas ... don't tell people to test new weapons like those in Turf, that's a terrible idea, really. It's only contributing to the toxicity and anti-fun mentality that's beginning to sprout here. And I certainly don't want to see this become a huge thing.

And after all's been said or done, you can't really find out whether a weapon is viable in ranked anywhere other than ranked.

Yes, people can or will fail sometimes and all so if you care about your rank enough to make a thread on this you might want to consider waiting a few days or play in quad squads.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I think Custom Jr is a good weapon in most cases, especially on Tower Control. I have played Custom Jr in S+, and lost very few matches, and in addition have played 3 League rotations in twins where I exclusively played Custom Jr, where I got 3rd, 6th and 7th place. It is foremost a support type weapon, more so than the vanilla Jr is even. You should go on the app, and see how much turf they covered in each ranked game, because I almost always cover 1500-1700p of turf, although generally my kills are also decent because of assists.

I consider the Custom Jr, with specific gear more so, a tactician type weapon. Most of your kills come from assisting teammates, or throwing out Autobombs, or Ink Storms, that do the killing for you. It is easily possible to see people who do not take such an articulate mindset to the game, and are detrimental to your team, but I think it is flawed reasoning to assume that every single Custom Jr is going to be a detriment to your team, before you see them in action.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
So you're saying people should stop trying to test the weapons where it actually matters, i.e. in ranked instead of where you can't collect real data on their viability in certain game modes, read: turf?

I know it sucks when you lose a couple matches because someone hasn't picked the best weapon for the job (according to you) but let's be frank here for a moment: this is not restricted to new weapons... people would weapons that are not exactly viable for the mode in question all the time. Ask me about those matches I had where all my teammates were Aerosprays. Now hey, I won't blame them, maybe they can have a place in RM/TC and I'm not seeing it yet ... *shrugs* It's easy to pin the loss to "that one guy who picked this instead of that".
Even if he did only get two elims there's more to win/loss contribution than the count of your elims alone. Heck, I could've had a great back/mid support who's been turfing to keep area control and firing his special for area denial but it was our failed pushes and deaths at bad moments why we lost?

But I digress. Testing every new weapon in turf is a great notion if you haven't played the base weapon yet, in this case the Custom Jr. As long as it's a weapon that's viable for Turf, please do get the general feel of the weapon first. I think this is a given and it will not only benefit you but your team as well. But now imagine weapons that won't work in turf, like Lunas ... don't tell people to test new weapons like those in Turf, that's a terrible idea, really. It's only contributing to the toxicity and anti-fun mentality that's beginning to sprout here. And I certainly don't want to see this become a huge thing.

And after all's been said or done, you can't really find out whether a weapon is viable in ranked anywhere other than ranked.

Yes, people can or will fail sometimes and all so if you care about your rank enough to make a thread on this you might want to consider waiting a few days or play in quad squads.
I like to test weapons out while playing league pairs with my wife. She's not good enough that we ever have even the notion of placing anywhere on the leaderboards, so it's not like me being worse is messing up anyone's ability to get a good power level. Our power level is never high enough regardless for that to be an issue.

I know not everyone has this opportunity available to them, but it's a pretty rad way to test stuff out.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I like to test weapons out while playing league pairs with my wife. She's not good enough that we ever have even the notion of placing anywhere on the leaderboards, so it's not like me being worse is messing up anyone's ability to get a good power level. Our power level is never high enough regardless for that to be an issue.

I know not everyone has this opportunity available to them, but it's a pretty rad way to test stuff out.
People would still argue that you could be that one duo who just had to test new weapons, ruining other people's placement matches (since it's being reset each rotation or so) but I would argue too that league, especially when you're around well-below 1.9k anyway, is the safest place to test stuff. But it shouldn't keep you from testing things in solo ranked when you can't duo either. From people having bad days to just being bad team players in general are other reasons why you can be losing a match and I think this thread is a great way to remind people of that.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
People would still argue that you could be that one duo who just had to test new weapons, ruining other people's placement matches (since it's being reset each rotation or so) but I would argue too that league, especially when you're around well-below 1.9k anyway, is the safest place to test stuff. But it shouldn't keep you from testing things in solo ranked when you can't duo either. From people having bad days to just being bad team players in general are other reasons why you can be losing a match and I think this thread is a great way to remind people of that.
We're well well well below that. I'd feel guilty anything at 1800+, but we're always at a power level MUCH lower than that, and I'm usually the best player on my team regardless. That is rarely the case at higher power levels even when I'm wielding one of my mains, so it's all relative. But I'd never want to mess around with a weapon if I'm at a power level that could threaten anyone's placement. I definitely agree with you on that.

You did remind me that I'll sometimes take unfamiliar weapon into the solo rank queue when I'm having a bad playing day with one of my familiar weapons. A one or two game change of pace can kick start things again. That change of pace weapon might not be equal to what I am at my best with one of my mains, but sometimes it's better than what I am at my worst with a main. This game can be funny like that sometimes.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would feel guilty about taking a new weapon I've never played into S+ ranked right away...
But then I remember how often I've already done this, and how much of those games I did much better than the tentaeks and what have you on my team.
This is not always the case, but for how well it sticks in my memory, I can't help but feel this is the case at least 50% of these matches.

-"Maybe those guys just had an off game"
I completely understand this =[ Most likely the case and there sadly isn't much I can do from my end when it comes to solo ranked. . .

-"Maybe you were dragging them down"
I can also admit this may be the case. I make it a strong point for the past year now to play heavy objective and ONLY push when we have a numbers+special advantage or there is a painfully obvious hole in the enemies defense(hello there, cheeky Reef RM push) so my own bias towards myself is inclined to think that this is not the case: I think it's a mis-synch of strategy between myself and any one or all of my teammates, OR the former bullet point is the case and my teammates are just playing a poopy round.

-"Maybe you having a new weapon is putting them into a bad mindset and they give up before the match has even started"
When you get the new weapon squid on your team and the enemy doesn't, yeah its common to sigh and think "it'll be up to me to splat I guess" But lets be honest, how many times have you gone into solo ranked and have NOT felt pressured to hard carry when trying to rank up?I don't matter what weapons your teammates have, you're inclined to think they all stink xP

^^^And this is exactly why I've been trying really hard to stop giving a flying fish about ranked, getting to S+ the first time is magical, but after the dopamine wears down those nuerons(which was pretty quick for me), you realize it only really means a couple hundred extra cash when you get a KO win and longer queue time in the new regional matchmaking.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I nearly lost a rank this morning because of people using the custom jr. I've seen one person get 9 kills with it ONCE and imagine how much better he would've been with another shooter. I understand that it's a new weapon but I just want it to die faster because every time someone with it is on my team they get like 2 kills and we lose. I still think the regular jr. is much better despite the armor nerf.
Eh, you got some unlucky teammates then. I was using it for RM and was averaging around 14 kills over 5 matches. I won 4 of the 5. The ink storm is ideal for pushing forward and "riding" the storm. Whereas the autobombs are great for getting the carrier & teammates when they're stalled at a choke point. It's a fully viable weapon for ranked and I plan to continue to use it.

You shouldn't make such a large blanket statement like that. Maybe you meant to say "stop testing the custom jr. in ranked if you suck at close range weapons".

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Eh, you got some unlucky teammates then. I was using it for RM and was averaging around 14 kills over 5 matches. I won 4 of the 5. The ink storm is ideal for pushing forward and "riding" the storm. Whereas the autobombs are great for getting the carrier & teammates when they're stalled at a choke point. It's a fully viable weapon for ranked and I plan to continue to use it.

You shouldn't make such a large blanket statement like that. Maybe you meant to say "stop testing the custom jr. in ranked if you suck at close range weapons".
yeah that's what I meant really I regret making a general statement like that I just didn't understand why people would take a close range weapon they know nothing about into ranked where they would continuously get 2 kills every time. I'm fine now and people are pretty good with it now.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

It's a great RM weapon for sure. I'm not a huge fan of autobombs, but I know other people are so I'm not going to complain about it from that standpoint. But the special is so so good for RM. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom