• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Plotting Out Gear: Need Perk Feedback

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I need some feedback based on the usefulness of stacking very few sub slots of certain abilities, specifically :ability_defenseup::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_specialsaver:, for use with short-range weapons.

When I upgrade my gear, I like to make it as modular as possible - I should be able to swap out one piece of gear and have the set fill a new role. Because of this, I tend to avoid staggering my subs over multiple pieces of gear, for example if I wanted three subs of Special Charge Up, they'd be all on the same piece of clothing rather than spread over multiple, as it'd be harder to achieve the modular approach. In addition, purely for my own sense of satisfaction, I like to pre-plan my gear so that it doesn't look ugly. For Splatlings I like to run 2x mains of Run Speed. Because of the reliance on running mobility, I've opted to use Rockenberg brand clothes and fill in sub abilities to fill in missing perks for each Splatling. This screenshot demonstrates my idea of modularity:

I'm now trying to add a "Utility" set of 3 sub abilities to modularize.

Now to the meat of my question: There are a few sub abilities that provide notable benefit when stacked in small quantities, mostly due to the rates of return on them:
:ability_defenseup:: a single sub of Bomb Defence lets you survive two near misses from Tenta Missiles and Inkjet.
:ability_specialsaver:: Inkipedia states that the first sub lets you save 8.7% with one sub and 14.6% (+5.9%) with two; this displays immediate diminishing returns.
:ability_quicksuperjump:: Probably the most interesting in my opinion, QSJ affects both the time spent in the air, and more importantly the time spent preparing your jump on the ground (making for quicker getaways). The preparation normally takes 81 frames, while with one sub it's reduced to 58 (-23 frames). 2 subs drops it to 50 frames (-8 frames).

So here's what I'm asking: If I want to make a "Utility" set of sub abilities, what should those three subs be?

My initial assumption would be to have one of each, but I see a fair number of people running 2x:ability_quicksuperjump: or 2x:ability_specialsaver: and I wanted to start a conversation on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom