• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

[POLL]Do you think that there should be a Splatoon Competitive player DLC pack?

Do you think Nintendo should add in a DLC pack for competitive players?

• Total voters

Ink dweller

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
I've been thinking about this idea for a while now. Here are my Ideas for a DLC pack.

As the title of the DLC pack suggests, it would be for competitive players. It could be at a price pint of about 4 to 6 dollars (3-4 British pounds)

Spectator mode added in the cafe. Watch recently played matches. Edit your videos for an MLG Splatoon compilation (I feel like a lot of people would make a compilation like that), and share it on Youtube.

Apartments. You would have to pay for them with your in-game money though and they would come in different sizes. You can buy them, or rent them. What would you do in them? Well, you could choose your own sub ability perks(for a higher amount of cash

Voice chat added for Ranked, Regular, and Private battles. Of course remembering that 7 year old kids play this game, before you are authorized to use voice chat, you need to take a quiz. Questions like "do you swear" would be added to that quiz. That makes sure that the game keeps it's E 10+ (Pegi 7+) rating. That was what Nintendo was afraid of when it came to voice chat for Splatoon so I think that I have found a way around.

Choosable maps, and modes. We've all hated the rotation that was present at some point. This DLC pack could give us the ability to choose our own maps, and ranked battles modes. Nintendo can even start "create your own Splatoon map" contests. This is how it would work in my head: People can make their own splatoon map suggestions Nintendo picks the top 50, and the general public can vote on the top 15.Those top 15 win.
Those are my ideas

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
Sounds pretty cool.
Granted, the quiz for VC could bring trolls to give false answers, just to be able to swear at players for 5 mins before being thrown off.
Perhaps it should be coded so only people who've bought the pack can hear VC, thus allowing people worried by it to just avoid it entirely?

Ink dweller

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
Maybe Nintendo could sorta copy sm4sh (sorta) by letting players report on other players if they stated on the quiz that they don't swear but yet, they swore. The way that Splatoon may indicate that the players swear is that maybe there would be a special icon next to the player stating that they swear. That same icon would appear mid-game. Also, update on that VC feature, you can chose to speak with team members, or everyone playing

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-I'd love spectator mode!
-Apartments are more of a casual piece of content than competitive. Still would be pretty cool to have though, but it wouldn't be entirely necessary. Don't think you'll need apartments to implement the idea of picking your own subs.
-I'd replace voice chat with more command options. "Watch out!" is one that i really want in the game right now.
-Said a dozen times already but i want 3 stages in rotation. As the pool of stages keeps expanding it'll mean some stages will become too common while other stages will appear rarely.

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
Let me address each of the ideas seperately:

First of all, this should be free. And this isn't just for competitive players.

Spectator Mode: That would be excellent. Something like Smash 4's replays or MK8's montage maker would be awesome.

Apartments: I'm a bit iffy on this one. Getting an apartment to choose your own sub ability perks would make the game seem a bit too easy. We should make it fun and just keep the people rolling for their own abilities.

Voice Chat: I have three points for voice chat.
  1. Voice chat on regular and ranked means that you'd be talking to a whole lot of strangers. Therefore;
  2. Nintendo would never allow voice chat on Regular and even Ranked.
  3. But, I would be up for voice chat in Private. Like Smash 4.
Choosable Maps: This seems like a good idea. If I had a suggestion on how this should be run, there should be an automatic rotation every game that switches the game mode between Splat Zones, Rainmaker, and Tower Control. And like MK8, each person votes for what stage they want and the stage will be picked at random from the players' picks.

Those are my suggestions. If you think any of this stuff I said should be changed, let me know.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
We should make it fun and just keep the people rolling for their own abilities.
Oh no. The whole sub-ability rolling along with the stage rotation system are my biggest complaints with what is otherwise my GOTY. I said this many times, but the idea that your entire other half of your loadout is determined at random has no place in a competitive game. It really feels like it should've belonged in a MMORPG instead, and honestly me (and i'd imagine a ton of other people) hate those systems there with a passion too. There's a reason why so many people rollscum to get the things they want.

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
Oh no. The whole sub-ability rolling along with the stage rotation system are my biggest complaints with what is otherwise my GOTY. I said this many times, but the idea that your entire other half of your loadout is determined at random has no place in a competitive game. It really feels like it should've belonged in a MMORPG instead, and honestly me (and i'd imagine a ton of other people) hate those systems there with a passion too. There's a reason why so many people rollscum to get the things they want.
I feel like that would take the excitement out of getting great rolls and make the game much easier.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I feel like that would take the excitement out of getting great rolls and make the game much easier.
Adding something like an option to pay 10 Super Snail Shells/300k to fill up the sub slots with abilities that are common to the related brand would not only keep the novelty of gear with rare subs, but remove the frustration of getting bad rolls. (Of course, this option wouldn't work with neutral brands like KOG)
If you think 10 Snails is too much, remember that there's only a 2% chance of getting thrice of the same brand-biased ability. Meaning you'll waste on average 50 Snail Shells just to get that, which practically encourages rollscumming. I don't feel accomplished getting that 2% chance, it just feels like "yeah, whatever, can finally apply a different strategy".

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
Watching our old matches shouldn't be considered a spectator mode, a spectator mode should be watching our friend's/any random player's matches while it's going on, this way streaming tournaments will be much easier.
Voice chat added for Ranked, Regular, and Private battles.
No, this is unnecessary for comp players because they have better means of communication than a gamepad microphone. If I were to ever use this it would be in a private with one of my cousins or something, voice chat in turf seems useless cause it's turf.
And ranked, oh god ranked, I can see it now.
"Alright guys I'm gonna put a wall on mid to cover fire and watch right flank."
"But I wanted to go mid and kill some people."
"Uhh, your'e using an RG, maybe you can help in mid for a bit but you should watch left."
"BUT I WANNA GO MID!"
The kid then overextends into mid and immediately dies.
"I can't believe you guys didn't help me! You guys suck!"
"Dude, we have the zone calm down."
"Shut up! If they get the lead I will disconnect!"
He proceeds to do the same thing over and over the whole game, because he wasn't supporting his team the other team gets the lead.
"HOW ARE YOU GUYS EVEN IN THIS RANK?! I HOPE YOU ALL DIE!" *disconnects*
They proceed to lose because the kid put the rest of the team on tilt.

Additionally it'd be putting more work on Nintendo's servers (the last thing they need). As a comp player, if this happens exactly like you said I would only buy it to use the gear and replay feature.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
I fail to see the point of apartments. Inkopolis Plaza works just fine as a hub.

Make more money by:
1. making new gear that has the same stats as existing free gear
2. making more amiibo

Use said money to:
1. add spectator mode as a free update

Spectator mode is not a competitive-only thing. Maybe I want to see how my friend is doing before I hop in a game with them. Or maybe I'm in the mood for splatoon but don't want to actually play it. Or maybe I'm playing with 8-9 other friends so a few of us have to sit out each game. Same goes for replays.

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
My opinion:
Spectator mode: Yes. Please.
Apartments: Yes. Please. Would be even more awesome with small customizations in the room.
Voice chat: Yes and no. I'd want it in Squad and Private, but basically nowhere else.
Choosable maps and modes: No, and yes. Splatoon should make it like MK8, two-three maps selected right before a match, vote on which you want, majority wins. You get 30 sec to get your gear and weapon ready, and then the battle begins. For, Ranked, at least. Turf war can keep the rotation.
Map suggestions: Would be hard to execute, and 15 is way too much, but a good concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom