1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

5. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Poll: Turning music on and off

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Yin_, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Should there be a option to turn off the in-game music?

1. Yes, it is very annoying!

7.8%
  2. Yes, it would help focus on the game more

15.7%
  3. Yes

45.1%
  4. No

5.9%
  5. No, I think the game is fine the way it is

25.5%
  1. Yin_

Yin_ Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2325-6454-5517
    I hope this isn't already a feature or else I will feel dumb.

Wouldn't it be nice to turn the music off every once in a while? I think that would help the game. What do you guys think?

Ansible and ※Zachary like this.
  2. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Mr. Squiggly Squid Inkling Commander

I think a feature like this would be nice. Would mean we wouldn’t have to deal with people complaining about the music anymore. :rolleyes: I think it should allow us to turn certain songs off instead of just turning the music off altogether, though.

#2 Mr. Squiggly Squid, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ϛ(°³°)/`, the, Yin_ and 3 others like this.
  3. ※Zachary

※Zachary Semi-Pro Squid

Eh, I'd like an option to use the Splatoon 1 music instead of the new Splatoon 2 music.

4. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Semi-Pro Squid

The music of splatoon is part of what makes the game so special to me, It’s a niche genre that I’ve fallen in love with!

I think a game without music, just with SFX would just be bland :(

Kamliee, Yin_, Ansible and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr. Squiggly Squid

I want to have the new themes and the old ones playing, because man, there isn’t a single battle theme that I don’t love! (With the exception of Off The Hook’s music...)

Silxer and ※Zachary like this.
  6. Jayy

Jayy Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2045-0142-7156
    All day.

Give us the option. A slider even. It doesn’t even have to be an on/off toggle.

Like every pvp game I’ve gotten into I want to add my own soundtrack without having to sacrifice sound effects. I don’t see it as an issue or any advantage or disadvantage if everyone had the option. At this point if I want my own music I have to mute the game or barely hear the effects.

What if I want the jaws theme when I’m using ninja squid? I can’t. And that just... won’t do.

7. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    Yes, yes, yes.

This is one of the most basic features to be expected in just about every game and Splatoon 2 does not have it, and to me that's just plain inexcusable. I can't imagine it'd be hard to program in, so why is it not there?

It doesn't matter how good the OST is, once you've played and practiced it for hundreds of hours you'll get burned out on the in-game OST eventually. You could listen to your own stuff, but Splatoon 2 won't let you. Either you gotta mute the entire game or have to suffer through Ink Theory for the umpteenth time, or have your own music blend seamlessly with that of the game itself.

Even outside of muting the ost, there are people who just like to have the OST a little quieter just so they can hear sound cues a little better. Again, Splatoon 2 won't let you.

8. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Well, that clearly ain’t true for everyone because I never get tired of the music. It’s too good if you ask me.

SquidletSquidlet and ※Zachary like this.
  9. Drew Sebastino

Drew Sebastino Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    Why would anyone answer "no" to this? If you want to hear it, great, keep the volume on. The same applies to voice chat; you don't want to hear people cussing? No one is stopping you from turning it off. Having a sound balance has been a standard feature in games since the 6th console generation, and was still prevalent in the 5th. Even for the first Splatoon, having so sound balance was absurd. Never mind letting you choose what songs to turn on or off, or even better, letting you add your own music.

I doubt Nintendo will do anything about it in a patch, but people have at least cracked the old Switch firmware...

Mr. Squiggly Squid likes this.
  10. LiX

LiX Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8003-1880-5821
    Definitely, it would be a good feauture for the competitive people. You could turn it off and focus more on the sounds surrounding you.

You could hear the Splatling charghing up behind you, or the brush making its first swipes behind you more clearly. It would save the temporarily life of so many kids and squids. It should be done!

11. Nukester

Nukester Inkling

Since the music generally stinks compared to Splat 1. Yes, please.

SquidletSquidlet likes this.
  12. Mr. Squiggly Squid

:(

seaWEED and BashfulBetta like this.
  13. Windstar

Windstar Pro Squid

That’s actually a good idea. Maybe they could be remixed by Off the Hook or a certain character in the Story Mode.

14. Drew Sebastino

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    Please no.

ϛ(°³°)/` and seaWEED like this.
  15. Berry

Berry Senior Squid

NNID:
    BlazzBerry
    Its funny because when recon'ing any stage, you get exactly what you ask for. You just can't have it during a match.

But yeah, I'd like that option.

16. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Please no Off The Hook versions of Squid Squad...

seaWEED and Drew Sebastino like this.
  17. Jayy

Jayy Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2045-0142-7156
    How do we, the player base, get Nintendo to hear our plight? A petition? I don’t think Nintendo reads forums the way Blizz reads forums for feedback.

Imagine a plea like this where the players aren’t demanding new guns, new stages, new modes, new cosmetics, but a simple alteration to sound/music control so we can play with what they’ve already given us. That’s a girl worth fighting for (Mulan) that isn’t a demand for things I’m sure they’re used to hearing about.

18. seaWEED

seaWEED Senior Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3569-5511-7797
    I wish they added the options for Splat1 music and to choose the music. Sometimes, I really want to listen to “Kraken Up” without having to play Splat1.

19. Jayy

Jayy Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2045-0142-7156
    To be honest I’m just sick of the f*&$@; losing music. For some odd reason they were spot on with making the music that plays when you lose make me feel like sh*t. As if losing wasn’t enough that horrible music makes it worse for me. I cannot stand it. It must be psychological because I’ll take the loss but Jesus Christ if I could just mute that loser music. I wish you could altogether just skip out of the match results instantly instead of being made to look at the stats and listen to that god. D*mn. Music.

Take an example from overwatch. You don’t have to be forced to watch the play of the game whereby the enemy reaper pushes the FU button and you’re the only player on the team that gets killed.

Why did Nintendo not take what works from other MP games and implement them in their own way? I get they try to be pioneers and veer away from the norm but sometimes it feels like in their process they completely lose sight of some of the aspects of games that come as almost necessary.

20. Mr. Squiggly Squid

I love the losing theme though....;_;

Sifu and AllToonedUp like this.
  21. SquidletSquidlet

SquidletSquidlet Inkster Jr.

I guess it would be cool. Count me as another squid that prefers Splatoon 1's music.

22. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Inkling Commander

NNID:
    BattadaBeast
    Turning off the music would be great, but the sound fx aren't enough to make the game feel enjoyable. If you could sub in the music with your own music, that would be really cool. (And trust me, nintendo isn't that smart to implement that)

The reason why I say that is because the splatoon 2 ost isn't that good anyway. I don't listen to any of the multiplayer tracks and say "this is an amazing song, I'll listen to this one later." None of them feel extremely memorable or engaging. Even after the new music rolled out, I got tired of it and registered it as background noise in about 2 weeks. And whenever I upload a youtube video, I put music over the gameplay because the normal music is the same bland material we've been listening to for months. I would love to put just sound fx with some music I found though.

Small nitpick, I love this game, but the music is pretty bland. I've played games for fractions of the time I've played splatoon and instantly loved their soundtracks. And I love replaying them all the time, and they never get old to me.

BashfulBetta, Yin_ and Drew Sebastino like this.
  23. Drew Sebastino

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    I felt this way until the new music was released in the update. These were memorable, just not in the way I wanted... I wish I could register them as background noise, because some of the songs, particularly the one that sounds like somebody is talking through a fan, really diminish my enjoyment of the game. It gets particularly grating when the same song keeps getting played by chance.

Yin_ likes this.
  24. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    It's good that you may like it, but i don't. Having a method of controlling audio will literally hurt nobody's experience with the game and only improve it for those who actually want to tinker with the audio settings.
    Unless you're like some weirdo who insists that everyone has, has to enjoy this OST like it's law and damn you if you don't. For those people i wish nothing but G&K teammates with E4K's till the end of time.

Nuclear Throne is a game that has an amazing soundtrack but once you get past the first 200 hours i can imagine people wanting to play their own OST instead. Even if the ost is super good, you can only hear Drylands for so long before you'll get bored of it.

BashfulBetta and Drew Sebastino like this.
  25. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Oh, naw. I don’t care if someone doesn’t like th OST. I was just pointing out that you made an assumption that everyone was having a problem with it in your original post. Also, I voted for there to be an option to turn it off.

#25 Mr. Squiggly Squid, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  26. Mr. Squiggly Squid

I find it extremely memorable, Just saying.

#26 Mr. Squiggly Squid, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  27. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Ever since Splatoon 1 I've wanted music and sound sliders!!

Yes, I enjoy the music in both games but there are times when I want to listen to something else, turn down the music, or whatever without having to sacrifice sfx volume as well.
    Email? Physical mail? Social media contact? Take your pick or use them all.

28. Dark Sage Walker

Dark Sage Walker Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    It's funny that you mention that. I was just talking about how either a song toggle option or sliders similar to what exists in Smash 4 would be perfect for this game! Splatoon's music is a big part of the world and lore, so let us choose what we want to hear from ALL the songs! I'd love to hear the theme's from the first game along side these themes. Maybe even get some good ol' Squid Sisters music to fight with. It would be perfect! So, Nintendo, need a good idea for an update to the game? Start here!

29. SP3CT3R

SP3CT3R Full Squid

Honestly, I'd probably crack up listening to the sounds the weapons make, but I can see why people would want an option like that.

And if they add that, I'd like to be able to control the songs that DO play so that I can listen to Splattack and Hooked instead of Wet Floor's weak squit.

30. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    That's what I meant with the toggle/slider option. Make it so you have more choice in which songs play on an individual level. A lot like Smash 4. This just seems like a no-brainer option that would make the game ten times more enjoyable for all of us!

31. Yin_

Yin_ Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2325-6454-5517
    Geez I never thought this would get this far. These are all great ideas(*cough cough* Nintendo...) and we should send them to Nintendo. I have an idea for that.

A new thread on here that sends them straight to Nintendo but have to be mod approved so it's not just spam. This would be a good idea so we can get our ideas noticed without haveing to do all the work (yes I'm lazy).

Also, we should consolidate our ideas.

1: Ability to select your own music from splat 1 or 2.

2: Have a slider for the SFK and music.

If there is any others or I'm wrong correct me.

32. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    I'd be down for this idea. So many ideas we could be sending to Nintendo to get things into the game that we love! Can we make it happen?

33. Yin_

Yin_ Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2325-6454-5517
    Idk I hope so, I would have to flag down some mods but idk how to do that

34. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Isn't @Dessgeega a mod? You can ask him if he would be willing to do some leg work to get this to happen. We all want this game to get better after all. Now that the game feels more like a proper sequel and not just a slight update of the original, this seems like a good time for the community to come together and make the experience the best it can be!

35. Ludic

Ludic Inkling

NNID:
    Ludic.C
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2992-1972-6203
    I wouldn't call this a very good idea if I'm honest
    Considering a lack of music would mean you can hear the game better, it would become a "meta" so competitive players would get the short end of that stick and as a competitive player, a world where Splatoon has no music is not one I'd like to be in

36. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    @Ludic It's not about having no music. It's about getting to pick what songs you want to hear and how frequently you hear them. Let's use an example from Smash 4. Let's say that you are playing on the Hyrule Castle stage and you really, really like the remixed Gerudo Valley music that sounds like it is being performed by a Mariachi band (like everyone should :mad:) but you can't stand the song from Spirit Tracks. In that game, you have a slider option to increase or decrease the frequency of the different tracks that can play on that stage. I am simply suggesting something similar for Splatoon. Part of Splatoon's lifeblood is the music, so why not let us listen to any songs we like while we are battling? It only makes perfect sense.

37. Windstar

Windstar Pro Squid

Actually, know that I think about it, I don’t think the old music is coming back. The soundtrack shift is supposed to represent the music industry itself, constantly changing from one style to another. Before anybody says it is, no, it’s not poetic.

Just have to wait until Inklings go retro.

38. Drew Sebastino

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    @Windstar I thought that was obvious. The thing is, if they were aiming for realism (which would be one of the first times this game was doing so) typically the best songs from two or so years ago still get played from time to time; they don't all simultaneously disappear forever.

39. Windstar

Windstar Pro Squid

To be fair, some songs like Tide pod Goes Out and Calimari Inkantation are remixed, but only in Single Player.

40. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    @Drew Sebastino has a point. Songs that were popular a couple of years ago don't just vanish. If we listen to one of our lovely radio stations, we would still be hearing music from the 90s playing. The music industry may be evolving (easy way of saying following trends for more money) but the truly good songs never go out of fashion.

Yin_ likes this.