• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pro Controller Wired vs. Wireless

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
Hey all,

I recently compared Wired vs. Wireless mode on the Switch Pro Controller to compare latency. This was using the same test method I previously used to compare the Wii U Pro Controller to the USB Adapter + GameCube Controller for SSB4.

Here are the results. They're very unexpected -- The wired mode was never faster than wireless. In fact, it was notably slower:

SUMMARY

In a low wireless noise environment:
  • Approx. 63% chance a wired Pro Controller will register 1 frame later than a wireless Pro Controller.
  • Approx. 8% chance a wired Pro Controller will register 2 frames later than a wireless Pro Controller.
  • The Switch Dock does not affect wired latency.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
That is weird, you think that having the controller hook up by cord to the system will result a better connection. It would seem years after the wavebird, Nintendo has extensively improved on the wireless performance! And thanks for making the video, I love little tidbits explaining details on system functions.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
Thank you for doing this research; I'm sure it will all prove useful in the upcoming release of Splatoon 2 (and it saves me a ton of research, time, and headaches!). :D

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
:) Happy to help out!

I just performed a much smaller test with Ultra Street Fighter II to find similar results, proving this is not a problem exclusive to ARMS:
Tie: 41/102 = ~40%
Wired 1 frame later: 42/102 = ~41%
Wired 2 frames later: 19/102 = ~17%

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thanks for your work you put into this.

Any guesses why there's a wired latency?

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
Thanks for your work you put into this.

Any guesses why there's a wired latency?
My best guess is a problem with controller firmware. Could also be a problem with the Switch system software/input system.

Please let Nintendo know that you want an update to fix it... I'm fairly certain that this problem could be fixed in a controller firmware update (which, as of System 3.0.0, can be applied through the system settings of the switch).

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, since wireless has the least amount of latency, I will go for that. Really weird that wired is slower though. Hopefully Nintendo can fix this in the future.

sygys.nl

Inkling
I would love to see "the moment of press the button" in the video so that the actual delay can be tested rather the difference between wired and wireless. a 2 frame delay means 32 ms on 60 FPS thats allot! where a mouse and keyboard on pc have less then 1ms

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Good idea... it's a USB controller I assume? I'll take a peek into this...
Yep. You can get them for 10-15$ at GameStop too if you're going to buy one.

Not trying to sound like a sellout but it's a pretty good controller. It should work on anything that takes a generic USB controller, and as long as you don't need analog sticks it's compatible with any Switch game. Everything is pretty solid except for the slightly weird ZL and ZR placements.

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
If anyone knows of a 3 or 4 local player game that runs at 60fps let me know. Specifically something that has a game mode with an infinite timer and easy to see changes based on button feedback. Games like ARMS run at 30fps with 3 or 4 players. Games like Bomberman are just too awkward to record hundreds of button presses through video.

(Like, if there was 4 player local street fighter, that would be ideal. Or Smash would work great.)

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
If anyone knows of a 3 or 4 local player game that runs at 60fps let me know. Specifically something that has a game mode with an infinite timer and easy to see changes based on button feedback. Games like ARMS run at 30fps with 3 or 4 players. Games like Bomberman are just too awkward to record hundreds of button presses through video.

(Like, if there was 4 player local street fighter, that would be ideal. Or Smash would work great.)
Puyo Puyo Tetris should be, and it even has a free demo.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Hmm. You know if there's an infinite time mode that doesn't require you paying attention to the game? (Is there a no-lose mode?)
Sadly no... Brainfarted on the infinite timer thing. Though you can make it last a while if you turn handicaps down.

In the full game there's a party mode where you can't die early, and there's a mode called Big Bang which may go on forever if nobody accomplishes anything. Supposedly there's a glitch to access them in the demo but it's probably patched by now.

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
Sadly no... Brainfarted on the infinite timer thing. Though you can make it last a while if you turn handicaps down.

In the full game there's a party mode where you can't die early, and there's a mode called Big Bang which may go on forever if nobody accomplishes anything. Supposedly there's a glitch to access them in the demo but it's probably patched by now.
Ok, I know some people who have the game, I might check in with them a bit more. Testing a bunch of different controllers at once can sometimes be nice, since normally a couple will have the same performance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom