• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Problems my Friend has about Splatoon

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
My friend and I got into a discussion about Splatoon. During this discussion he called out problems he had with the game. I want to see the community's reaction to these problems.

His problems were:
- You can't switch Items mid match
- No unsymmetrical stages.
- Random team selection.
- No local online multiplayer

I don't know why I made this post. Just wanting to see if others shared one of our opinions.

Last edited:

Lefty

Nice la~
No local online multiplayer is a bit of a turnoff, otherwise all the other reasons can be swiped away.

I asked my friend to get splatoon, he said in response, "No the game looks boring."

Boring.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Isn't the mall stage asymmetrical? From what I could tell by screenshots...

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Isn't the mall stage asymmetrical? From what I could tell by screenshots...
I am positive all maps are symmetrical so that both sides of the map have an equal amount of territory to cover in ink. it would be bad if one spawn had an edge over the other.

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
My friend and I got into a discussion about Splatoon. During this discussion he called out problems he had with the game. I want to see the community's reaction to these problems.

His problems were:
- You can't switch Items mid match (it slows down in between matches. Also, doesn't really matter if it's random.)
- No unsymmetrical stages. (makes it fair for both sides. It is a territory game; the best way to balance is to have both sides the same)
- Random team selection. (it makes it more casual and easily accessible. A team could be premade and totally wipe out a noob team; if random, that team would probably be split up)
- No local online multiplayer (probably a framerate issue; the ink probably takes up quite a bit of processing power. They could make a non-ink mode based on kills, but that would take away a lot of the mechanics of the game that's just like other shooters)

I don't know why I made this post. Just wanting to see if others shared one of our opinions.
Answers in bold. They aren't justifications, but trying to think from the developers' perspective (since I think the game should have most of these).

I know it's too early to think about the sequel, but I have high hopes for what they will do to improve the game after they learn from the first one.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
[QUOTE="Book81able, post: 18558, member: 1410"- No local online multiplayer[/QUOTE]
I definitely agree this is annoying, but random team selection? How can you complain about it, that's in.. like every game?

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
There is no local multiplayer because you need the Wii U Gamepad to play online multiplayer. Teams will also be split up each game, so if your friend is on the other team then you can screen peek and know where the other team is and what they are doing, that would provide an unfair advantage that other players won't have.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
His problems were:
- You can't switch Items mid match: Games are so short it doesn't matter :rolleyes:. I applaud the devs for locking people into a kit the whole 3 minute round.
- No unsymmetrical stages. He must be OCD this is not really a problem, just something he doesn't like.
- Random team selection. Short term problem I'll share till August. Still, won't hinder my playing Splatoon.
- No local online multiplayer. I can see how this would be a legit problem for people who wanted friends to come over and play. maybe it will get changed in the future. but this game is meant to be played online for the here & now.
Only 2 real problems listed and neither would hinder or prevent me from playing. Splatoon is a fun game and I've made people who were previously on the fence about playing, all into it.

Piratekiwi

Inkling
NNID
Piratekiwi
Hi, i'm the friend that Book was talking about. We had this conversation before I bought the game, and even before I knew much about it. Also, it appears that he misunderstood some problems. Let me reiterate to see if anyone else also considers these problems.

- You can't switch Items mid match- I still have a problem with this. I wish that I would at least be able to change items while waiting in the lobby, instead of quitting out of the match.
- No unsymmetrical stages.-I have since gotten over this. After playing the game for a while, I realize that symmetrical stages were a good choice.
- Random team selection.- He misunderstood this one. Random teams are fine, but there needs to be balancing. I'm sick of one team being all 20's and the other all beginners.
- No local online multiplayer.- Why? Just, why Nintendo? Smash had it!

Also, since playing, I have found a few other problems (Yes, I know I'm just being nitpicky now)
-I feel like the hud is waaay to empty. I especially wish there was an ammo bar on the hud, because I hate having to look at the backpack and I never do it. I toggleable minimap would be nice too, so I don't have to keep looking down at the gamepad.
-Balancing problems: It feels like some weapons, and especially some specials, are very unbalanced. For example, the inkstrike is amazing while I have not yet found much use for the echo-locator. There needs to be some nerfs/buffs.

Does anyone else see these as problems too?

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely adore this game. I personally consider it the 2nd best game on the Wiiu (after smash). It's just that my cynical, pessimistic side of me is dying to point out every flaw in the game.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
- You can't switch Items mid match- I still have a problem with this. I wish that I would at least be able to change items while waiting in the lobby, instead of quitting out of the match.
Mid-match would change the game too much, but I think almost everyone agrees that not being able to do so in the lobby between matches is an annoying oversight. Hope they fix that.
- No unsymmetrical stages.-I have since gotten over this. After playing the game for a while, I realize that symmetrical stages were a good choice.
It could work if they ever add an asymmetric game mode later on. But it only makes sense to have symmetric maps in symmetric modes.

I will say though, one thing that does annoy me is that the rotationally symmetric maps lack distinguishable landmarks to help you remember which way you're going. Like TF2 has the RED/BLU arrows to guide you, but here I gotta glance down at the gamepad to double check.
- Random team selection.- He misunderstood this one. Random teams are fine, but there needs to be balancing. I'm sick of one team being all 20's and the other all beginners.
Unranked is unranked, ranked is ranked. Ranked is where the skill matchmaking is (though it'll need some time to for players to reach accurate measurements).
- No local online multiplayer.- Why? Just, why Nintendo? Smash had it!
Just not possible with the way the game is designed. There are too many hurdles, both in terms of mechanics and probably hardware too.

Tophermonn

Inkling
NNID
Tophermonn
LAN parties, yo
My roommate and I both have our setups in the living room right now and it's really a good time. LAN parties were always a blast back in the early xbox days and my current setup reminds me of them quite a bit.

LAN parties of splatoon would be legit.

Gweb

Inkling
I think asymmetrical maps would work well when both teams have different objectives (ie. One team defends a crystal while other team aims to destroy it)

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
No local online multiplayer is a bit of a turnoff, otherwise all the other reasons can be swiped away.

I asked my friend to get splatoon, he said in response, "No the game looks boring."

Boring.

Tell your friend to join ranked battles on salt spray rig xD. Then see what he says about boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom