• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Proof That Analog Controls Are Competitively Viable

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Just as with the launch of Splatoon 1 there are a ton of people asking what control scheme to use. Almost all top players will say don't use analog, its a waste of time.

But this is not entirely true. There are a few weapons where analog can be used at a high level (albeit more difficult than motion but still possible)

Daze is a top notch analog charger, one of the few of her kinds. Now she is a little rusty, and her team was pretty bad, so take this as more of a proof of concept that analog chargers can be viable.

Let me know what you think about it below. I'm always up for discussion ^_^

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Honestly analog helps more of the movement chargers and their shots

While motion helps stand still chargers snap shots
I am going to practice using sticks with a charger because with motion I can't snap shots

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That's one weapon class out of nine, and an analog charger is most likely going to struggle more against the enemies that inevitably get in their face than a motion control user would. I can see the logic but I still think analog is inferior in the end.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Honestly analog helps more of the movement chargers and their shots

While motion helps stand still chargers snap shots
I've actually had a pretty good e-liter main (Latias) say that Daze's stand still shots were really good.

That's one weapon class out of nine, and an analog charger is most likely going to struggle more against the enemies that inevitably get in their face than a motion control user would. I can see the logic but I still think analog is inferior in the end.
I said nothing about one being better than the other. Obviously motion works in more situations with more weapons. This is just showing that analog can be done in competitive. It's not an impossibility.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I said nothing about one being better than the other. Obviously motion works in more situations with more weapons. This is just showing that analog can be done in competitive. It's not an impossibility.
Wasn't talking about that either. I'm just saying analog users caught with their pants down are extra doomed, while the rest of us are just regular doomed :P

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
You are right Dessgeega that's just one weapon class yet every class has its pros and cons with sticks and motion

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Wasn't talking about that either. I'm just saying analog users caught with their pants down are extra doomed, while the rest of us are just regular doomed :p
Haha, nice analogy.
Hopefully though a charger is never caught with their pants down. If you watch high level chargers they usually flat out die if they didn't see a flank coming. If they see it coming they either run or stay to fight, depending if they think they can get the kill

GreatGateway

Full Squid
I use analogue controls for the Inkbrush, Slosher and Rollers. Currently A-

Honestly, motion controls are some of the worst I've ever had the misfortune of trying, and while I'm no FPS expert, I'd rather use the sticks as the lesser handicap.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
From what I could see from other players, it appears that movement controls are ultimately more convenient than analog. Heck, from briefly playing my uncle's copy of Splatoon 2 last weekend, I found that motion controls are easier to handle.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
There are a few people who are really damn good with analog, but they usually have years of experience playing fps games with a controller. You can bridge the gap so to speak, but for most people motion controls are much easier to master.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
There are a few people who are really damn good with analog, but they usually have years of experience playing fps games with a controller. You can bridge the gap so to speak, but for most people motion controls are much easier to master.
That was my scenario in Splatoon 1. With all my console shooter experience behind me the stick controls were immediately very good for me. Early on in Splatoon 1's life, I was nigh unstoppable while most other players were learning motion and learning to play shooters in general. But then, once more and more people began to master motion, my level of skill got less and less impressive over time. Sure, I climbed the ranks and generally played well, but I was always far from the best on my teams in ranked. I definitely did not have the competitive edge, in part because I was being out aimed by people with motion.

I feel like I've told the story of my conversion to motion controls in so many threads here now, but I really believe using motion is just so much wiser in the long run. I've played enough of both to tell which is likely going to produce better results for most weapons. I have VERY little experience or authority to speak for chargers, so I could never say what is better for the class, and I always encourage people use what controls work best for them. As someone who stubbornly used sticks for so long, seeing others keep with it is really cool.

speedySonic

Full Squid
Yes, you can play with analog. Playing with stick is completely fine.

Motion control is just better. :P

It's all based on personal preference. If you're used to other shooters, ypu probably want to play stick. But if you're new, or stick isn't working out for you, pick gyro.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I mean, just because Motion is objectively better, doesn't mean it will be the best control scheme for everyone.

Last edited:

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Look, like OP said, pros will tell you to use motion. They say that for a reason. Why do you think they're pros? Because they use motion. Seriously, they know it's better. That's why they recommend it.
I'm hoping this video doesn't convince you. (No offense to her of course. Her sniping was pretty good) This is a B rank game, and basically all of the targets were standing still. I main chargers and inkbrushes, and I'm S+ in splatoon 1, currently S almost S+ in everything in splat2. USE MOTION CONTROLS. I KNOW YOU LIKE ANALOG BUT IT CAN ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR! If you don't like motion controls because you're struggling to use it, look up ThatSrb2DUDE on YouTube and watch his videos on how to use motion controls. Even I learned something, and I've been playing nothing but motion since the game launch 2 years ago.

At least watch this video if nothing else.
I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I swear everyone who uses analog and switched over to motion will tell you motion is better. Just keep trying at it, you'll get it eventually.

iLosT

Inkling
NNID
iLosT
I run analog but I only run Splattershots... it stems from Ratchet and Clank, I find it very easy to get around where as the motion control seems way to difficult to get used to for me.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I swear everyone who uses analog and switched over to motion will tell you motion is better. Just keep trying at it, you'll get it eventually.
I'm one of those that switched to motion after starting analog.

Personally, I've always hated FPS/TPS using analogs and thus went the PC route for those types of games. However, I started out using analog because I found motion frustrating as ****, and tweaked the analogs a bunch until I had the perfect balance of X-Y sensitivity. But then I was told by my squad to ditch analog and go motion, and I'm now seeing the benefits of doing so. As with the keyboard+mouse combo on a computer, the aiming accuracy of motion will almost always be better, unless you're a freak with the analogs (to which the switch analogs aren't all too accurate, at least compared to the Xbox One controller). Now, I might not be too good at motion controls yet, but I'm also getting better at an accelerated rate in comparison to the analogs. I 100% recommend people to use motion controls. It's frustrating at first but you will be a better player once you get the hang of it.

And if you're struggling at motion controls, start with low sensitivity and try different configurations of controller setup. For me, I've tried both joycons separate (you end up controlling motions with just the right controller), using the grip, and attached to the Switch. In terms of the easiest to understand motion controls, use it attached to the Switch. This allows the direct motion correlation to be translated to what you see on the screen. Using the controllers separately also gives a neat perspective, having the right one more like "aiming" in that sense. Just some things I've picked up during my switch to motion controls.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Look, like OP said, pros will tell you to use motion. They say that for a reason. Why do you think they're pros? Because they use motion. Seriously, they know it's better. That's why they recommend it.
I'm hoping this video doesn't convince you. (No offense to her of course. Her sniping was pretty good) This is a B rank game, and basically all of the targets were standing still. I main chargers and inkbrushes, and I'm S+ in splatoon 1, currently S almost S+ in everything in splat2. USE MOTION CONTROLS. I KNOW YOU LIKE ANALOG BUT IT CAN ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR! If you don't like motion controls because you're struggling to use it, look up ThatSrb2DUDE on YouTube and watch his videos on how to use motion controls. Even I learned something, and I've been playing nothing but motion since the game launch 2 years ago.

At least watch this video if nothing else.
1: this was the first footage I could get of Daze. It's a proof if concept video, not saying that analog is better in some way, but viable.
Daze was S+ in splatoon 1 and got there using analog charger.

2. Daze has tried switching to motion control. She hates it. Pisces her off to no end. Gave it a shot over weeks of gameplay and couldn't do it.

3. She used this con roller scheme on the competitive team Calamari Crusaders back in the day, where we weren't too heavily invested in tournaments, but still managed to go to game 5 vs top teams such as C- and Chimera

So ya, analog charger can work if you are good enough. It's harder ya, but still viable. Not better, viable

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
1: this was the first footage I could get of Daze. It's a proof if concept video, not saying that analog is better in some way, but viable.
Daze was S+ in splatoon 1 and got there using analog charger.

2. Daze has tried switching to motion control. She hates it. Pisces her off to no end. Gave it a shot over weeks of gameplay and couldn't do it.

3. She used this con roller scheme on the competitive team Calamari Crusaders back in the day, where we weren't too heavily invested in tournaments, but still managed to go to game 5 vs top teams such as C- and Chimera
I appreciate the points you're making, and I kinda want to apologize for getting the ball rolling, but really, attracting the "MOTION IS BETTAR" crowd was kinda inevitable :oops:

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
I appreciate the points you're making, and I kinda want to apologize for getting the ball rolling, but really, attracting the "MOTION IS BETTAR" crowd was kinda inevitable :oops:
It's alright. I was kinda expecting it. Having a solid discussion with people who give concessions to both sides is pretty rare

JayShyy

Inkling
I'm one of those that switched to motion after starting analog.

Personally, I've always hated FPS/TPS using analogs and thus went the PC route for those types of games. However, I started out using analog because I found motion frustrating as ****, and tweaked the analogs a bunch until I had the perfect balance of X-Y sensitivity. But then I was told by my squad to ditch analog and go motion, and I'm now seeing the benefits of doing so. As with the keyboard+mouse combo on a computer, the aiming accuracy of motion will almost always be better, unless you're a freak with the analogs (to which the switch analogs aren't all too accurate, at least compared to the Xbox One controller). Now, I might not be too good at motion controls yet, but I'm also getting better at an accelerated rate in comparison to the analogs. I 100% recommend people to use motion controls. It's frustrating at first but you will be a better player once you get the hang of it.

And if you're struggling at motion controls, start with low sensitivity and try different configurations of controller setup. For me, I've tried both joycons separate (you end up controlling motions with just the right controller), using the grip, and attached to the Switch. In terms of the easiest to understand motion controls, use it attached to the Switch. This allows the direct motion correlation to be translated to what you see on the screen. Using the controllers separately also gives a neat perspective, having the right one more like "aiming" in that sense. Just some things I've picked up during my switch to motion controls.
Same here! I've never used any kind of motion controls on any game, and I figured I'd give it a shot after watching the video the OP posted. Now it seems perfectly natural! All this since the launch of Splatoon 2!

By the way I'm new to Nintendo consoles and Splatoon, (and this forum) and it's been a fun week. I haven't been this excited about a multiplayer shooter since BF1. Who woulda known...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom