• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Proof That Analog Controls Are Competitively Viable

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Of course, I suppose it really doesn't matter to me what you use, but you are aware you're intended to use the right stick with motion, right? The stick is usually used for looking around or doing quick 180s, and the motion is for when you're actually in a fight. Although some people use stick in fights as well (I usually use it for faster snaps on chargers). Also, if the cursor jiggles around too much, try setting it on a lower sensitivity? I mean if you're using -5 like me and still find it too fast, I don't have advice there lol
(I mean, maybe it's just me, but the sensitivity in splat2 feels faster than splat1...)

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
The issue is that a top tier motion control user can turn faster than the fastest sensitivity analog affords as motion can combine stick movement with motion movement. This means a lot to close quarters fighters that need to precisely turn to their back to counter a back stabber.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
The issue is that a top tier motion control user can turn faster than the fastest sensitivity analog affords as motion can combine stick movement with motion movement. This means a lot to close quarters fighters that need to precisely turn to their back to counter a back stabber.
or you could just turn with Y.

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
Felt like dropping in and getting some opinions since I've been researching this topic recently.

Background: I personally just hit S+ in all 3 modes without using motion controls (my sensitivity is -1), back in the original I was around A+ but barely played around when S ranks were added. I exclusively use Enperry Splat Dualies for Rainmaker, Slosher for Tower Control, and Aerospray MG for Splat Zones, as I wanted to focus on mastering just a few weapons as I ranked up. I love the switch, particularly using the joycons separated, for the freedom that it allows my wrists; playing competitive Smash for about 6 or 7 years now as a top player in my state really did a number on my hands in general. Also worth noting is that I've experienced the worst issues in my right hand.

As a result of these factors, I haven't invested in a Switch Pro controller yet, and the joycons are solving my wrist problems (or at least not making them worse).

Normally while I play, I fully relax my hands in my lap. If I try motion controls, I have to strain specifically my right wrist (because only the right joycon affects motion controls) while aiming and moving. You can see why this would be a problem.

Since I'm not playing a charger (for which I admit I would attempt motion controls), is it generally worthwhile to still attempt to make the change? The only advantages I really hear about are the 180 degree turn (and quicker turns in general). And in the event that I was to make the switch, are joycons still usable or should I really invest in a pro controller?

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
It's alright. I was kinda expecting it. Having a solid discussion with people who give concessions to both sides is pretty rare
I don't have any problem with admitting that analog stick controls can be used well by a few people. Really, I don't think that even die-hard motion control supporters would argue that analog stick controls are unusable.

The issue I have with trying to "prove" the viability of stick controls is that I'm afraid it may discourage some people from giving motion controls a fair chance. I know that's probably not your intention here, but without explicit clarification, I could easily see some people pointing to "proof" like this to justify their unwillingness to change. Several people in this thread have mentioned that they started out with stick controls because it was what they were already familiar with, whereas motion controls required a certain amount of commitment to get past the learning curve. Given that motion controls offer several demonstrable advantages and are much more popular among competitive players, it would make sense for any serious player to at least try to learn how to use them (preferably not for a period of just one day), but if they have the excuse of "But stick controls are viable if you're good with them" to fall back on, they may never bother with motion controls.

If you've actually made an honest effort to learn motion controls and they just don't feel right for you, then by all means, use stick controls with a clear conscience. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that motion controls aren't worth trying out.

memk

Inkling
NNID
memk1213
Switch Friend Code
SW-3176-1508-5800
I'm actually at S currently with using only analog, motion just doesn't make sense to me, then again I have been playing console FPS for years

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I tried motion controls last night for about an hour. They are faster than analog but aiming at the edges of your screen is impossible. The need to use the right analog stick for turning and the motion controls to aim, just makes it too complicated. I found myself constantly having to reset my camera. The cursor also jiggles around way too much in order for it to be accurate.

I'm going to stick with sticks, and up the sensitivity on them a little. I'm currently A+ in most ranked modes, even though I've been handicapping myself all week by grinding my splatfest shirt for ability chunks. Once I get all three star gear with the abilities I want, I expect to break into S rank.
Aiming at the edges of the screen is possible, but you have to think of it differently. You can whip the cursor to anyone on your screen, but the camera might not move with it (or move enough/much). Honestly, I just use the right stick to flip the camera around with quick flip in the direction I want. I know others use the sticks/motion as twin-sticks with motion for fine movement (which seems to be what you were trying). Either is fine, but if you don't want to use both the stick AND the motion simultaneously to lock onto someone on the edges of your screen, you don't have to. It's just an adjustment in your way of thinking that you may be aiming onto someone without moving the camera much.

I know I just talked in circles there, but hopefully you get the point. I didn't use motion in S1 at all, but I'm all in on it in S2.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
With motion controls you have an advantage, and you can do a lot more with it than compared to analog. But if you manage to use Analog in the competitive scene, than good on you. You should still take the time to learn Gyro but it's not really that big of a deal.

FoxenMcBoxen

Inkling
A lot of the weapons in Splatoon 1 and 2 tend to have unique traits about them that lend themselves to different play-styles, and as a result, some require better aims than others.

For example, if you are trying to use a Splat Charger with stick controls then you're obviously doing something very wrong. However, I would find it slightly unintuitive to use motion controls with something like any of the brushes, simply because they don't reward accuracy in any regard what-so-ever.

Yes, I hear a lot of the people saying here that motion controls are superior to stick controls and that at the end of the day a player needs to achieve a higher amount of skill and precision with stick controls in order to match the fluid accuracy of motion controls, but not all of the weapons even require that level of accuracy and might even punish you for trying to be accurate with them.

TL;DR, your choice of controls should reflect what weapon you use, and what you're good at in general. If you're using something that rewards accuracy, use motion controls as they offer more precision. If you're using something that doesn't it might be more viable or viable enough to use stick controls.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
For example, if you are trying to use a Splat Charger with stick controls then you're obviously doing something very wrong. However, I would find it slightly unintuitive to use motion controls with something like any of the brushes, simply because they don't reward accuracy in any regard what-so-ever.
That's a little judgey don't you think? I'm a brush main and use motion. That doesn't make me unintuitive.
Same with Daze, she's not doing anything wrong playing analog charger, she just prefers it.

FoxenMcBoxen

Inkling
That's a little judgey don't you think? I'm a brush main and use motion. That doesn't make me unintuitive.
Same with Daze, she's not doing anything wrong playing analog charger, she just prefers it.
I mean yeah there's always exceptions, but then it's a case of whether you could vs whether you should. You can adjust the sensitivity of the analogue's horizontal sensitivity and the motion control's sensitivity to allow for a more fine-tuned experience to motion controls. Generally if you're using charger and you're offered that I would see no reason to avoid motion controls.

I'm also a brush main and I prefer stick controls with that weapon, simply because there is literally nearly zero requirement to aim and at that point you might as well bump the sensitivity high and go for it.

I mean you can use stick controls with the charger and you can most definitely be good using motion controls with the brushes; but the skill requirement to get good with the stick controls means that players will need to invest more time learning how to be more accurate with them.

In my opinion if you're a new player, or haven't actually tried motion controls it's best to give them a good shot. Take a few days to really try and learn them with a Splattershot or something.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
I mean yeah there's always exceptions, but then it's a case of whether you could vs whether you should. You can adjust the sensitivity of the analogue's horizontal sensitivity and the motion control's sensitivity to allow for a more fine-tuned experience to motion controls. Generally if you're using charger and you're offered that I would see no reason to avoid motion controls.

I'm also a brush main and I prefer stick controls with that weapon, simply because there is literally nearly zero requirement to aim and at that point you might as well bump the sensitivity high and go for it.

I mean you can use stick controls with the charger and you can most definitely be good using motion controls with the brushes; but the skill requirement to get good with the stick controls means that players will need to invest more time learning how to be more accurate with them.

In my opinion if you're a new player, or haven't actually tried motion controls it's best to give them a good shot. Take a few days to really try and learn them with a Splattershot or something.
You haven't read the above posts have you xD
Daze uses analog because she doesn't feel comfortable using motion, she put many hours behind trying to switch and it didn't feel right.
It has already been established above that motion is more versatile and superior in many situations. The point was that it is possible to use analog in competitive gameplay, more specifically analog charger.

The point was never "people should do this, or people should do that"
It's just as you said, people can use analog competitively.
But not what a person "should use"

FoxenMcBoxen

Inkling
You haven't read the above posts have you xD
Forgive me, you must be mistaken. I have.

Daze uses analog because she doesn't feel comfortable using motion, she put many hours behind trying to switch and it didn't feel right.
And good for her, if she genuinely cannot play well with motion controls she's probably better off doing what she does.

The point was that it is possible to use analog in competitive gameplay, more specifically analog charger.
Yeah but there's my problem. It's possible to play charger with stick controls; that's really never been debated. But I feel that by saying you can is almost gleefully forgetting the fact that it's hard to get to that level; very hard.

I assume this post says that analogue controls are viable in the competitive scene, and that much has not been debated. I mean, who would argue that playing some of the more underpowered characters in a fighting game somehow would not be viable, for example? I mean Daze does a good job of playing charger but... I would imagine it would be better to encourage people to use motion controls for a bit before really deciding on a control type.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Forgive me, you must be mistaken. I have.

And good for her, if she genuinely cannot play well with motion controls she's probably better off doing what she does.

Yeah but there's my problem. It's possible to play charger with stick controls; that's really never been debated. But I feel that by saying you can is almost gleefully forgetting the fact that it's hard to get to that level; very hard.

I assume this post says that analogue controls are viable in the competitive scene, and that much has not been debated. I mean, who would argue that playing some of the more underpowered characters in a fighting game somehow would not be viable, for example? I mean Daze does a good job of playing charger but... I would imagine it would be better to encourage people to use motion controls for a bit before really deciding on a control type.
Ok, I'll wrap it up with this. It is widely encouraged by top players in the Competitive Splatoon community (the best example being ThatSrb2DUDE) that you should NEVER bother with motion controls in the competitive scene. That was the point of this thread. To say that it's not a "never" situation. It's a "in rare cases" situation. It's to justify the people who have made the choice to use analog controls.

Now that I have made that explicitly clear, I rest my case because going in circles like this is silly.

FoxenMcBoxen

Inkling
It's to justify the people who have made the choice to use analog controls.
Ok... Well I mean if this whole thing was to just say 'Analogue controls are viable' then; yeah they are.

Sorry I think I'm over-analyzing stuff here. I'm on the same page that in rare cases that you can play competitive with either control method.

But I felt like the original post glorified the use of stick controls. Call it silly if you want but that's what I think.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I think my biggest issue on the whole motion vs analog debate isn't necessarily arguing that analog isn't viable. I just get the impression that most people I talk to who argue in analog's favor have never actually given motion a chance passed 2 hours, which is generally just annoying to deal with. If you ultimately find analog more comfortable after that, I'm not going to complain.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Possible? Yes. Viable? Definitely not.

Borp in Melee comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom