• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rainmaker mode - what will it be?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Today's Splatoon Direct mentioned a future game mode called Rainmaker. All we know is that it will have something to do with this guy:

That looks to me like a big shachihoko, a mythical creature known for shooting water out of its mouth at great speed. They can be seen atop nearly every Japanese castle, as it is believed they can summon the rain, and will protect the structure from fire. That makes me think this mode will have a lot of ink sprayed around...

What are your ideas? I wanna hear your speculation!

Setnaro X

Full Squid
It might be a weapon that a player can pick up. Probably able to shoot an endless stream of ink if the name is any indication.

I was also thinking it could be a leader based thing. Like, on each team, one player is selected to carry the weapon, and it's their only source of ink. The other players must protect that leader. Something like that I guess.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
It might be a weapon that a player can pick up. Probably able to shoot an endless stream of ink if the name is any indication.

I was also thinking it could be a leader based thing. Like, on each team, one player is selected to carry the weapon, and it's their only source of ink. The other players must protect that leader. Something like that I guess.
I was kind of thinking that, too. Some kind of super-weapon or turret or something that the player has to strive for.

Maybe it could also be an item that, when captured, sprays a large amount of the team's ink all over the map.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
I would assume this is a capture the flag mode where 1 person holds the rainmaker and everyone is trying to get it. Point collection on time spent holding it. Hopefully this mode is free for all and not team based, but I am sure that's just wishful thinking.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
There is the possibility that is it similar to the nukes of the Call of Duty games where a person needs to go on a rampage of sorts and gets this after hitting a certain goal whether it be kills or area covered in ink.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I think the objective is to do something to trigger the rainmaker, which would then make your color of ink "rain" on the map, not sure how it would be more effective than using your own ink to splatter the map, or if they can disable your ink from painting the map somehow.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
I wonder if Rainmaker is literal and it's actually a flying NPC that sprays water everywhere, washing away people's ink. You can hit him to disable it, or maybe direct him so that he erases opposing ink instead. As an added bonus, maybe the water lingers a bit and new paint can't be applied until it dries after some short duration. That would help make it more worth it to control instead of just cover opposing ink yourself.

Setnaro X

Full Squid
It's part of a new gamemode guys, not an new weapon.
We're well aware that it's a new gamemode. However, our only hint to this new gamemode is this fish-like object, which can be anything, and that includes a weapon. It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that this new gamemode may center around the use of this as a weapon.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I am assuming it is some sort of Bomb gamemode. You fight to grab the rainmaker, and then you can shoot water out of it to wash away the enemies' ink. As for how you could win, I dunno. Either that, or you need to hold a set point for a certain amount of time to activate the rainmaker, and then it gives your team free reign to do whatever, as the rain washes away the enemies' ink. Or you need to take like a flag or something, and bring it to the rainmaker. One side plays offense, the other side plays defense.

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
I wonder if Rainmaker is literal and it's actually a flying NPC that sprays water everywhere, washing away people's ink. You can hit him to disable it, or maybe direct him so that he erases opposing ink instead. As an added bonus, maybe the water lingers a bit and new paint can't be applied until it dries after some short duration. That would help make it more worth it to control instead of just cover opposing ink yourself.
@Citanul I digress. You see, Squid ink is actually water proof.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I think it is a Capture the Flag variant where the fish is the flag and when it is being held, it shoots out your team's ink vertically so that it rains down around you.

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
Inari, they also live under water ;) but yeah, I have been following the post from the Squid Research Lab :)

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think it could be something similar to the legendary air ride machines or the Daybreak. You gather pieces of something and then make the ultimate weapon to destroy something or attack foes with it.

Other then that, the name "Rain maker" certainly makes me intrigued. So many possibilities.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Interesting idea about parts, maybe there are four parts and each squid can only carry one, when all 4 squids in a team collect one part the rainmaker "activates" for that team. The part could slow down the Inkling so it makes them an easy target and more difficult for the whole team to gather all parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom