• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ranged Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ranged Blaster
wst_shot_explong00.png

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
-WIP-

Cost:
-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High
Impact: High
Fire Rate: Low

Sub:
wsb_shield.png
Splash Wall

Special:
wsp_tornado.png
Inkstrike

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Ranged Blaster.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
It's like Nintendo wants me to kill myself. Blasters were already hard enough to beat, and now we're all doomed.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Did i just pay for this junk?
Having an increase of range by two squidsteps and reduced fire rate is not gonna make this gun more threatening at all.
It's pretty much a third version of the blaster.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I'm so glad all I did was try it in the test area. So not wasting money on it rn.
Idk why they thought giving it only 1 test area lines worth of increase in range(reg blaster has the range of 2 lines, and ranged is 3) and decreasing its fire rate to zero would make a good weapon.

If it misses against anything it out ranges than they'll kill you way before the next shot fires. Anything at its range, that it misses will kill it before the next shot fires. And anything that out ranges the range blaster will just laugh at you.

And for those that will defend it due to it having the splash wall, I main the .52 gal. The wall gives a ton of protection, but you don't want to keep having to toss the wall time and time again while not splatting the enemy/ies on the other side of it. Especially when they'll eventually get their special and put an end to you/the wall. Not to go into a discussion about the wall and what not, but my point is that this weapon will have lots of trouble against most of the others.

But despite all I think of it I'm sure it has some niche. And good luck to all that use/main this weapon. :)

Last edited:

Ze Dewott

Inkling
NNID
ZeDewott
When I saw "Ranged" I thought it would be closer to that of the N-Zaps and the Tentatek, but it's not. Not the best weapon, I'm not a Blaster user, but I'd probably still use the Luna over this.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Did you guys know you can compensate for the low fire rate by fairly by quickly dipping into your ink between shots? This REALLy helps the fire rate!

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I'd probably still use the Luna over this.
Not sure why, you would want to use a weapon, that's range is 3 times shorter, than that of the splat roller. You gotta question yourself, when you use a weapon, that can be zoned by a roller.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Not sure why, you would want to use a weapon, that's range is 3 times shorter, than that of the splat roller. You gotta question yourself, when you use a weapon, that can be zoned by a roller.
The exact same reason why you'd use a splat roller versus anything else that outranges it. And let's not overexaggerate that range.

As for the Range Blaster, as someone has already mentioned, dipping back in the ink reduces the delay. If you do need to spam faster, you can hold down the L button and rapidly tap the fire button. It makes the delay slightly slower than a standard Blaster.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I like the Range Blaster. It's not for me, but I like it.
It fires pretty slowly, yeah, but that extra range lets you get splats where the regular Blaster wouldn't reach. Sure, it's not that much, but it's a little extra range on a one-hit-splat weapon, that's pretty good to have.
But the real selling point for the Range Blaster should be its loadout, because holy s*** this is a good loadout. Splash Walls are great to hide behind; even if you can't get within range, you can hide and replenish your ink, then throw another one when it runs out to stay safe, or you can hide behind it to stay safe between shots. And Inkstrike is good too, giving you a way to ink a sizable area with a Blaster.
Overall, it's a good weapon, mostly for the great loadout in my opinion, but I still won't be using it. Why? Because I have to slow my movement to a crawl while firing, and I hate that. Even if I have a Splash Wall up, I hate not being able to move quickly, feel like a sitting duck until I can move normally again.
Though I might change my mind if you can cancel some of the lag by going squid, that could be neat.

florence

Full Squid
i'm not a blaster user, but this is the only blaster i've really liked. high fire rate has never really helped me with blasters, and i prefer to stay as far away from enemies as possible (maybe i'm just too used to the squelcher).

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I like the Range Blaster. It's not for me, but I like it.
It fires pretty slowly, yeah, but that extra range lets you get splats where the regular Blaster wouldn't reach. Sure, it's not that much, but it's a little extra range on a one-hit-splat weapon, that's pretty good to have.
But the real selling point for the Range Blaster should be its loadout, because holy s*** this is a good loadout. Splash Walls are great to hide behind; even if you can't get within range, you can hide and replenish your ink, then throw another one when it runs out to stay safe, or you can hide behind it to stay safe between shots. And Inkstrike is good too, giving you a way to ink a sizable area with a Blaster.
Overall, it's a good weapon, mostly for the great loadout in my opinion, but I still won't be using it. Why? Because I have to slow my movement to a crawl while firing, and I hate that. Even if I have a Splash Wall up, I hate not being able to move quickly, feel like a sitting duck until I can move normally again.
Though I might change my mind if you can cancel some of the lag by going squid, that could be neat.
Jet Squelcher has this loadout too. Why is that weapon so underused?

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
This is looking to become my Blaster of choice. I love the Splash Wall sub and am okay with the Inkstrike but I would prefer something else. As a Charger main range is something I'm always looking for (although ironically my sub main is Inkbrush) and this weapon has enough range t allow me to play the way I'm comfortable with. The Blaster has always been my Shooter of choice so this is gunna be a weapon I use a ton more.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
This is looking to become my Blaster of choice. I love the Splash Wall sub and am okay with the Inkstrike but I would prefer something else. As a Charger main range is something I'm always looking for (although ironically my sub main is Inkbrush) and this weapon has enough range t allow me to play the way I'm comfortable with. The Blaster has always been my Shooter of choice so this is gunna be a weapon I use a ton more.
The Custom Range Blaster will come with Splat Bombs and the Kraken, if that would be a prefered loadout.

Last edited:

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Jet Squelcher has this loadout too. Why is that weapon so underused?
I dunno, but I do know why I don't use it: it's not that strong and doesn't fire very quickly, so I always lose at close range. And I like being at close range, so that's kind of a dealbreaker for me.

The Custom Range Blaster will come with Splat Bombs and the Kraken, if that would he a prefered loadout.
Ooh, another Kraken weapon. Splat Bombs are alright too, but I'd prefer Splash Wall. Still, for an alternate loadout, Splat Bomb/Kraken is far from bad, in fact it's definitely worth a shot.

Hinichii.ez.™

The exact same reason why you'd use a splat roller versus anything else that outranges it. And let's not overexaggerate that range.
Overexaggerate? Luna has a range of 15 and splat roller has a range of 55. There is no exaggerating here.

Rollers are valuable in every mode. The same can not be said about the Luna.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
This weapon works like an squiffer that is more suitable for Tower Control. A lot shorter in distance than the squiffer but the way blasters function hits the ppl in the tower better. You pretty much stay in one point far away aiming the tower, moving when it's out of range and try to avoid unecessary battles. Plus, Splash Wall stalls the hell out of the tower on flat stages.

Do you guys agree with me on that? I think it is the ONLY competitive reason to use this weapon set.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Overexaggerate? Luna has a range of 15 and splat roller has a range of 55. There is no exaggerating here.
By that same logic, an E-Liter (95) doesn't even have twice the range of a Splat Roller. I'd love to see a Splat Roller flick that is three times the distance of a Luna Blaster.

Rollers are valuable in every mode. The same can not be said about the Luna.
You could say the same thing about alot of other weapons.

Hinichii.ez.™

By that same logic, an E-Liter (95) doesn't even have twice the range of a Splat Roller. I'd love to see a Splat Roller flick that is three times the distance of a Luna Blaster.

You could say the same thing about alot of other weapons.
Check the wiki, look at the numbers. The splat/krak-on has 3.66 more range.

Luna even gets zoned by the aerosprays. Its range is abysmal.

And no, with the weapons in question, you don't have a case.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Check the wiki, look at the numbers. The splat/krak-on has 3.66 more range.

Luna even gets zoned by the aerosprays. Its range is abysmal.

And no, with the weapons in question, you don't have a case.
Thanks for considering the E-Liter case. But I mean, if you're going to stick to comparing ranges by their theoretical number instead of their actual ranges, then I really see little reason to discuss this any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom