• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle Progress Bar

##_0##

Inkling
Hi all!
I'm new here, but I'm playing Splatoon 2 since it released. I live in Asia. And I apologized for my English if it is bad.

I've heard that Splatoon 2 devided players base on regions. Is it corect?

Today I just watch video on YouTube about someone tried hard to aim for S+ rank and devided in several videos. So When I'm watching those series, I have very curios question regarding the progress bar.

In my experience playing Splatoon 2 for almost 5 months. This is how progress bar crack works
1st crack at 2nd lost
2nd crack at 3rd lost
3rd crack at 4th or 5th lost
4th ceack at 5th or 6th lost

To get the OK Line needs 4 wins, and to get ranked up need 10 wins.
That above rules applied start from C- rank.

When the progress bar breaks. I need 1-4 wins to reach the OK line depands on how much fill the progress bar before it breaks. But when you ranked down this is the worst, lately I need 3 wins to go back to Ok line.

So on the video YouTube I saw. The player only need 3 wins to reach OK line. And just another 3 wins to ranked up (from B+ to A-).
And the crack works very different from mine ( A- rank)
1st crack at 3rd lost
2nd crack at 5 lost
3rd to 4th still unknown because I cant find the other videos from that player. But I bet 7-9 lost to break the progress bar.

So why mine rule very hard? While others very easy? Is because of different region server different set of rules?

Because of this punishing rules, I need months to reach A-. Not mention how many times I ranked down from B to C.
More over Nintendo server adds more difficulty with no reason. By ditch player by doing communication error in game or unreasonable unstable connection in game.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The game has two meters for Ranked, one fills with every win (the orange one) and one fills with every loss. The failure meter isn't shown directly but instead it's partially shown through the cracks in the meter.

Whenever you lose, the failure gauge fills to an amount, depending on how the match went and the power levels of the teams involved. This is why it sometimes will shake and otherwise it'll create a crack on a single loss.

To be honest, even we aren't clear on how the game judges how much the bar should be filled on a win/loss. It's kind of random.

##_0##

Inkling
Thanks for the info Elecmaw.

Some of the rules are certain. 10 wins to rank up. 5 to 6 loses to make progress bar broken. 4 wins to get OK line (from empty bar). I always counted everytime I play ranked battle. No matter you win by KO or not still the same. As if the point you win no use at all. That's why I go here to make sure everyone have same rules like that or not. I felt like Nintendo do make the game much more harder then it used to be. Almost every progress to rank up, communication error always happened without reason.

If players disconnected in early state such as around 30 seconds or 1 minute the progress bar will remain even we lose. But if a player or players disconnected after that the lose always counted. That's such a not make sense rule. You know playing splatoon, in seconds, enemy can change the tide of the game. Lose become win if you lose a player or more. Yesterday 2 players in my team disconnected in last 1 minute. And you already know the result.
And what more absurd is I got communication error right when the game just started and got crack on my progress bar.

I wonder if players in splatoon 2 ever noticed this? Or maybe Nintendo in purpose do this to make players very hard to reach highest rank and make players still motivated to pay for online service next year so they can keep playing splatoon 2.

Sorry if I vented my upset about splatoon 2 here. I love very much this game. But the rank battle rule is very tiring and way way too punishing.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Those rules are not at all "certain." You can rank up in more or fewer than 10 wins depending on... something. Certainly wins against a team with a disconnect earn you very few points. I've had as many as 9 losses before the bar shattered (not counting ones with the disconnect message), and 3-5 wins to get to the OK line. If someone disconnects within the first few seconds but you get KO'ed immediately, you can still get a crack.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah, same story. Sometimes it takes 7 losses to crack the bar, other times 8 or 9. The only consistency I've noticed is that your bar never gets 2 cracks at once, or at least I've never seen that happen.

In that game it sounds like everyone disconnected, not just you. It's likely the other team d/c'd aswell. It sometimes happens. This game is a lot more prone to disconnecting you than Splatoon 1, for some reason.

And you're not the only one who's upset with the matchmaking. This game has a lot of problems when it comes to matchmaking, especially when you reach S+. By S+ the skill ranges from either above-average players or the very best of the game, making it less of a competition but more a case of who gets the tournament players on their team.

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
My theory is it has to do with the power of your opponents (some theorize it also has to do with whether you KO them or get KO’d, this has some plausibility I’d say). I notice when I defeat a very stacked team my progress bar goes up big time, and when I lose against a team I shouldn’t have lost against, especially if I get KO’d, I crack very quickly.

Some theorize it plays a role in rank skipping as well, though that’s an issue for another day.

##_0##

Inkling
Thank you for sharing your experience. I really hope there are clear rules for this ranked battle progress bar. Uncertainty really frustrating.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I have a spreadsheet where I've been keeping track of my meters for a few months, and literally the only thing that I've figured out so far is that there is no easy pattern. Various factors contribute to how much meter you gain and when you get the next crack, and it's fairly opaque

##_0##

Inkling
@Sifu. For me it's pretty certain. Everyday I'm playing this game almost have same pattern. Maybe other people have better and much eaiser then mine.

Lots of my experience are pretty absurd. Each time I need just less then 2 wins to rank up, something will come up. Such as communication error, connection unstable and then I disconnected, or your team member have that problem. Sometimes like as if the server do this on purpose.

Some other absurd experience playing ranked battle is how the server mix the weapon that being used by the player. Sometime I got team with 3 of 4 using range weapon / heavy such as sniper weapon or blaster, sometimes 4 team have same weapon such as NZap. Or else most of team have same special ability. The mixture of the weapon can have huge impact to win or lose.

Last edited:

ljplayz

Inkling
NNID
ljplayzmc
Hoi is temmie I mean LJ and I think that it is certain I have nearly had every single time it cracked match your "status ber crack" for me it's like this

1st crack at 3rd lost
2nd crack at 4th lost
3rd crack at 5th lost
4th crack at 6th lost

so I am basically stumped I don't know who to believe but I believe you @##_0##

##_0##

Inkling
@ljplayz: thank you for believing in me.

Lately the difficulty level on ranked battle more challenging. I think around 60% chance 6 loses got 4 cracks, and 40% chance 5 loses got 4 cracks. Usually 5 loses got 4 cracks pretty rare to happen.

##_0##

Inkling
Clam blitz ranked battle arrived. I have new thought about how the progress bar's cracks work.
I think cracks and ranked up much more depends on how much players on same region / server that have same rank categories.
While I'm playing clam blitz I got rank jump fom C- to B- and got rank down after 8 loses. So because of this is new ranked battle I bet S+ class players on other ranked battle will start from C-. So while they are already on B class not much players that can be matched by the server. That's why ranked jump happened. And the server will give you much time to lose the game before got 4 cracks to balance the amout of players between rank categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom