• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture

Welcome to the Multiplayer Discussion Board's Ranked Battle Discussion Thread!

Ranked Battle's current modes are:
Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker

In Splat Zones, each team of four attempts to capture zones (like King of the Hill) by spreading paint in the zone. The first team to have zone control for a total of 100 seconds or has the least amount of time left to be in control wins the match!

In Tower Control, each team fights to control possession of the tower. By standing on the tower, it moves along a set path toward the other team's base. The team who reaches the other base with the tower first, or gets the closest to the other base when time runs out, wins!

In Rainmaker, two teams fight to obtain a weapon called the "Rainmaker" which is encased in a shield and must be popped out. One person from a team carries the Rainmaker and their teammates must protect them as they advance to the enemy base. When carrying the Rainmaker, the wielder has 60 seconds to reach their goal or it will "inksplode"
This thread is for general discussion regarding Ranked Battle (Turf War). Be sure to keep discussion in this thread about Splat Zones, playing in Ranked Battle, and related topics.

Last edited:

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Shouldn't this be under competitive since it's ranked? These subforums are really confusing.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Shouldn't this be under competitive since it's ranked? These subforums are really confusing.
Well there is a distinction between ranked and competitive. So i think it's fine here. Like, I'm sure there will be people who play ranked battle because they enjoy the gametypes, but don't really care for tournaments or competitive rule sets etc.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Ranked Battle is a multiplayer mode. Just because you play Ranked Battle doesn't mean you're a "competitive" player.
Heck, in fightan games ranked tends to be where most "casual" players play anyway. (Well, netplay in general)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I agree but TheRapture is always right XD. Anyway can't wait for this mode to be released!
No, he isn't. No one is always right.

Anyways, this mode sounds interesting and I wondering which weapons will be the ideal ones for splat zones. I don't get why this is considered ranked and the other isn't. It is a silly distinction.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
No, he isn't. No one is always right.

Anyways, this mode sounds interesting and I wondering which weapons will be the ideal ones for splat zones. I don't get why this is considered ranked and the other isn't. It is a silly distinction.
I have to agree, they should have made a ranked version of both and separated the two.

You'd have a ranked Turf War rank and a Ranked Splat Zone rank.
I'm sure some people want to be able to play Splat Zone without the threat of their rank decreasing, though rank tends to mean little more than bragging rights anyway.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I just want to play Ranked already... I like having a goal to work towards and watching myself get better while rising in ranks.

Plus I'm not a fan of Free-For-All types modes, prefer objectives where splats and playing the objective both matter, not to mention people being able to help by using Chargers.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
I'm confused, at what point do we get to all queue up as like, a ranked team? Is this even a thing in Splatoon?

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
August. I'm sorry... Guess they want us all to "git gud" first. =[
Actually I think that they just aren't ready for that yet. In the splatoon "Iwata Asks", the devs said that only 10% of the game was done at E3, and they finished the remaining 90% in 10 months. That's hardly any time at all. I'm pretty sure that feature was just put on the back burner to get the base game out as quickly as as possible.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Actually I think that they just aren't ready for that yet. In the splatoon "Iwata Asks", the devs said that only 10% of the game was done at E3, and they finished the remaining 90% in 10 months. That's hardly any time at all. I'm pretty sure that feature was just put on the back burner to get the base game out as quickly as as possible.
Unlikely. The game is most likely complete, not releasing it fully on May 29th was a matter of choice.

Wintry

Inkling
I wonder if Splat Zones will make Chargers more viable. I can understand that if we're playing King of the Hill style, then snipers know where players will be concentrated and have a better shot at scoring more kills in a short time.

I only say that because I think in Turf War, especially on more open maps, you can just plain not see enough people to make kills count for something. 1 Kill is not enough to make much of a difference, but 2 is.

2 Kills gives the other team about 8 seconds of being at half strength. In Splat Zones, 8 seconds can do a lot it sounds like. I dunno though, I'm just speculating, cause I'd really like to play Charger more.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Yeah depending on where the zones are for each map chargers could become very useful, especially when kills mean much more compared to turf war. Cant wait to play tonight!!!

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I suppose that's possible, but I don't see any evidence for it...
There is no evidence supporting the game wasn't complete by May 29th either... At any rate, this discussion is kind of irrelevant.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Gold Aerospray is the bomb in this mode.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
If you are last alive and you are by the splatzone do not go in... give your team a good spawn. It destroys your team if you go in and suicide like 80% of the player base is doing at the moment. Also don't instantly jump to your teammates, actually look if you will live on landing.

one bubble user is extremely good for overtaking the site since bubbler spreads to teammates.

the new zapper seems pretty good as it has more range so you can stay safer away from the splatzone itself and still do work, but is terrible when behind because doesn't have a special that can retake site.

inkstrike special is good for obvious reasons, you can just strike the zone and make the enemy lose control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom