• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Mode Switching

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
By the looks of the UI, it appears that when Tower Control is released, then that mode will alternate with Splat Zones every 4 hours, like the maps. So that means you won't be able to play both modes in one 4 hour cycle. I think this because the lobby has a box that says "Mode:" just like there is a box that says "Maps:" and the Mode box will likely change to say what mode you'll be currently be playing in Ranked Mode.

How would you feel if this was true?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is most likely how it will work. I think Nintendo doesn't want to split the playerbase even more, so the modes rotating is an interesting design choice.

As long as the other modes don't straight up suck, I am fine with rotation. I am easy to please anyways.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Unsure on how I feel about this, as it's possible somebody's favourite mode will be locked off for 4 hours just so waiting times aren't bad. I do understand the design choice and will refrain from judging until release but right now I'm not confident it's for the best.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Mode rotation will most likely happen, as the mode is displayed on the selection screen. It would be hilarious, if we get the possibility to play Turf War in Ranked Mode. Probably won't happen, though.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Mode rotation will most likely happen, as the mode is displayed on the selection screen. It would be hilarious, if we get the possibility to play Turf War in Ranked Mode. Probably won't happen, though.
I don't see why not.

And I'd personally way rather have a random chance of what mode is played. Locking out certain game modes for 4 hours seems silly and slightly archaic.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
It would seem like a lot of people might get really upset when they want to play one but they are stuck with the other for the next four hours. And then what happens when the third Ranked mode, Rainmaker, comes out? Then you have to wait 8 hours to play your favorite mode? Seems like a bad decision. But I won't be surprised if it is that way.

Tophermonn

Inkling
NNID
Tophermonn
That is a good observation. As long as one mode doesn't always rotate into a 1 am time slot or something like that, I think it will play out well.

I also wonder how many total stages there will have to be before they make the rotations consist of three stages. Clearly the space on stage listings in the lobby and on the game pad hints that three stage rotations will be a thing eventually.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Yeah I'm kinda on the fence about this one.

On the one hand, mode rotation wouldn't be a bad thing, especially since if you really wanted to play a certain mode, you'd have at least four hours to grind it, and it means people who like a certain mode can be playing with people who usually play that mode. It would also force you to take a break from the hell pit that is ranked. (Good teams or bad, losing always hurts.) But at the same time, yeah, how many modes would be in that rotation?

Unless they're all guaranteed to be good, I'd rather prefer the ability to pick what I want to play. Since there is no such guarantee, I'm a little worried about it. Hopefully it won't happen, so we don't have to guess if a mode will be decent or not...

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
would be nice to be able to pick and choose which mode you'd like to play independently but given how splatoon's switching is already laid out, seems like it's already inordinately plausible that's how ranked would work as well.

get ROWDY

Inkster Jr.
They likely put one ranked mode on at a time because adding more will split the player base

If they had two ranked modes, that immediately doubles the queue time and splits the player base for each mode. I rather have one alternating mode, than have both and have a high wait time for tower control (or whatever mode is less populated)

While it does "suck" since you're limited, I think it also better reflects the ranking system. An A+ player will have to be A+ in both modes, which is nice.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
An A+ player will have to be A+ in both modes, which is nice.
Or just not play when the one he's bad at is on rotation.

I guess I really wouldn't mind it being this way myself. But I can see how it would probably upset many people. I'm cool with wait times staying low for games though.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
I'm hoping that once all the maps/modes/weapons are released (barring unplanned future DLC) that there will be opportunities to choose how you want to play. I know that it will let you choose when playing with 8 friends, but I think that the reason they're doing this rotation at the moment is so that everyone is playing together and is forced to try everything. In several months/a year once everything has started to settle and there is a plethora of game to play, and they have a good idea of how many people are playing at what times of day etc, they'll be able to bring more selection into it.

But if not, I don't mind the forced rotation. My only complaint would be if there's a mode I really like, but when I get home from work I'm stuck with some other mode until I go to sleep. I hope the rotation increases with more content. Or maybe mode will be random with every match and only the maps will be on a fixed rotation? I'd love that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom