• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Ranking Specials In Splatoon 2

What is the best special?

• Total voters

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I saw a topic for this for Splatoon 1. Let’s try to come to an agreement in what the best Specials are, as well as the worst. All bomb rushes are considered separate Specials.
Just to remind everyone these are the current specials in Splatoon 2:
Ink Storm
Ink Armor
Ink Jet
Sting Ray
Splashdown
Baller
Bubbler
Splat Bomb Launcher
Suction Bomb Launcher
Tenta Missles

Upcoming Specials:
Burst Bomb Launcher

We don’t need to rank the Burst Bomb Launcher. I think that an Autobomb Rush might come at some time.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Personally, it's a tie for me between bubble blower, tenta missiles, and splashdown. Splashdown is great for moving out enemies, tenta missiles is also good for moving enemies, but ones far away, and bubble blower is a great support special.

the

Inkling Commander
Tenta missiles and stingray are good for bullying enemies. Tenta missiles have an edge due to their tracking and “fire and forget” quickness, but are also harder to kill with directly. Still, I definitely think tentamissiles are one of the best specials in the game if only because of their minimal inconvenience for their great effect.

Btw, I think you missed the Curling Bomb Launcher in your list of specials. Though i’m not sure that’s really in the running for “best special”...

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
Bubbles because they're so powerful. Ink storm ties for second with splat bomb launcher.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Stingray, can’t comment on bublle blower since i don’t have much expierence with it.
Stingray: whille it leaves you vulnurable, it can directly hit anything from anywhere making it extremly good for both pushing and denying space due it’s AoE. (Wich is godly in ranked)
It’s basicly a killer wail but adjustable during it’s duration in a sense.
Only downside is that you’re very vulnarable when using it so you may need to find a save spot first and/or fall back.

Also, pls no auto-bomb launcher, it’s satan’s spawn.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Pretty much in every ranked, the Sting Ray will just be deadly.
In Splat Zones everyone is going to be in the Zones, so you can pick them off there or move them out of there.
In Tower Control just aim at the Tower from the other side o& 5e map, and get people off the Tower, or just Splat them.
In Rainmaker you can aim it at the Rainmaker’s shield (although it doesn’t do much towards breaking it) and if the enemy team has it just aim if at them
In a Clam Blitz a similar concept, aim it at someone with the Power Clam.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Honestly I thing Sting Ray and Splashdown are the best. While I think Splashdown is sort of like the Inkstrike from Splatoon 1, just without the ability to make it happen where ever, I think mechanically it works similar to Kraken and Bubbler, because it is like a panic button. More like the bubbler than the Kraken though.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I'd have to say it's pretty close between Splashdown, Stingray, and Bubbles. Ray can singlehandedly stop an overtime push, Splashown is basically a free kill (especially on that FREAKING BLASTER) and zone neutralizer, and Bubble Blower can be used in so many ridiculous ways. Heavy Deco can essentially turn the bubbles into the Bubbler (from Splatoon 1) with selective half charges and by standing in them. They are insane with Special Power Up as well, mostly because the ability seems to have little-no diminishing returns when using them.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I'd have to say it's pretty close between Splashdown, Stingray, and Bubbles. Ray can singlehandedly stop an overtime push, Splashown is basically a free kill (especially on that FREAKING BLASTER) and zone neutralizer, and Bubble Blower can be used in so many ridiculous ways. Heavy Deco can essentially turn the bubbles into the Bubbler (from Splatoon 1) with selective half charges and by standing in them. They are insane with Special Power Up as well, mostly because the ability seems to have little-no diminishing returns when using them.
I'd just like to comment on the blaster + splashdown combo and why it's so good. First of all the blast radius on this thing is already insane, and it extends outward too giving the lethal distance on this thing some broken range. On top of this it is a highly mobile weapon with buffed endlag (decreased). So, with most weapons being played not having the range to conquer it in a 1v1, your best option is to get very close to get your kill, but then out comes the (somewhat effective) panic button and you're dead. This leaves only the best players who know how to get quick kills and maneuver around the best, and have the muscle memory to shut down splashdowns, the best capability of shutting down a blaster. On flat terrain and around obstacles it remains the king of 1v1's, especially a practiced blaster knowing and having the muscle memory how to shut down people in many situations, including the 180 directs (which turn out to be more skill than luck in my experience with this weapon. It's a tough one to conquer, and I think the only nerf it needs is decreased blast radius (along with clash) and maybe 10 more points for special.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I'd just like to comment on the blaster + splashdown combo and why it's so good. First of all the blast radius on this thing is already insane, and it extends outward too giving the lethal distance on this thing some broken range. On top of this it is a highly mobile weapon with buffed endlag (decreased). So, with most weapons being played not having the range to conquer it in a 1v1, your best option is to get very close to get your kill, but then out comes the (somewhat effective) panic button and you're dead. This leaves only the best players who know how to get quick kills and maneuver around the best, and have the muscle memory to shut down splashdowns, the best capability of shutting down a blaster. On flat terrain and around obstacles it remains the king of 1v1's, especially a practiced blaster knowing and having the muscle memory how to shut down people in many situations, including the 180 directs (which turn out to be more skill than luck in my experience with this weapon. It's a tough one to conquer, and I think the only nerf it needs is decreased blast radius (along with clash) and maybe 10 more points for special.
Yep, all of this. I would also like to see a nerf to Splashdown in the form of not being able to move for like, 5-15 frames after it lands so Blasters and Splattershots can't follow it up with an easy kill as often.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Yeah. Thanks for the visualization. Now I know why the community wants Blasters to become nerfed

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Tenta Missles are really OP with 3 mains of Special Power up....I may or may not have done this before and got quadruple targets like 3 times I an row...

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Tenta Missles are really OP with 3 mains of Special Power up....I may or may not have done this before and got quadruple targets like 3 times I an row...
Interesting that you say that since most of the competitive scene agrees that Missiles are the worst special in the game. All SPU does is increase the size of the circle, and with the new ability to swim with Missiles active, all you really need to do is swim backwards a little and get most of the team locked on.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Interesting that you say that since most of the competitive scene agrees that Missiles are the worst special in the game. All SPU does is increase the size of the circle, and with the new ability to swim with Missiles active, all you really need to do is swim backwards a little and get most of the team locked on.
Yes, I know that, but if you think about it, in every ranked mode except for Clam Blitz really, the other team is going to be tightly packed together. In Splat Zones they are going to be in the zone of close to it. In Tower Vontrol people are either going to be on the Tower or near it. And same The for Rainamker. When the other team is clumped together you can get a lot of kills actually. Quite underated

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Yes, I know that, but if you think about it, in every ranked mode except for Clam Blitz really, the other team is going to be tightly packed together. In Splat Zones they are going to be in the zone of close to it. In Tower Vontrol people are either going to be on the Tower or near it. And same The for Rainamker. When the other team is clumped together you can get a lot of kills actually. Quite underated
In ranked maybe. In actual competitive games, teams won't be so clumped together. Have you ever heard of "pencil formation"? Basically, it is a strat in which many people attack the same target from different areas at the same time. Kinda hampers Tentamissle's viability at a high level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom