• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranking System in Splatoon 2

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
Trying to learn alot about the game till I get a hold of a switch and the game itself. I have heard some say ranking up in this game is not as challenging as it was in the first game. That some are new to the game or not that skilled and they are able to hit A-S ranks with not much trouble.

Now I'm not sure how true all that is, but I wanna know how ranking in this game works. I noticed when I watch some people play, there is this gauge instead of numbers. And when you lose a match, it gauge cracks. After a while it does down some if you lose enough matches. So im not sure if this gives you more chances to rank up in compared to the first game, where in this game, you can lose 2-3 matches and still only have to win one game to rank up. Is that how the ranking system is?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If you lose 1-2 games, the gauge cracks. Four cracks, and you either derank (if the orange meter is behind the ok bar) or your bar will get reset but you'll keep your current rank (if the orange meter is past the ok bar). On average you can expect 8 losses in total before you'll crack the bar, but you'll likely only need 2-3 wins to retain your rank. Combined with the idea of skipping rank (if you get a strong winning streak going on and rank up, you'll jump a few ranks ahead at once), and you'll have an easier time getting to S+.

Basically yeah, ranking up in this game is pretty easy. I'd say this game's S+ is more like the A rank in the original game. The real struggle will likely come from getting a high league score or getting the vibe bonuses in Turf War.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
What are vibe bonuses?
The (exp) bonuses you get the better your W/L ratio on your weapon becomes. Vibe/Freshness goes up with wins and down with losses in Turf. Once you break a certain threshhold you get extra EXP per step. Hope this helps!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Remember the vibe meter from the first game, where you get little flags that add up with each win and lose with each loss?
They changed it up a little.

Now it's persistent and no longer resets between rotations, but also each weapon is given it's own meter. Reaching certain milestones (510/15) will not only give you a big exp bonus, but will add a little colored flag next to your weapon in the weapon selection screen. While your score can dip below the requirements for a flag, the flag you get in the inventory screen are presistent no matter what.

You always get one point for winning, but losing changes the further you go. Below 5 points you'll only lose half a point per loss, go past that and then each loss costs 1 point, then past 10 points losses cost 1.5 points. And so on forth.

I really don't know if you get more once you go beyond the 15 mark, but i really cannot find much info about this subject. Aside from the exp bonus it's mostly just for bragging rights.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've said it often, but the ranking system in Splatoon 2 is definitely more of a level/grind that you happen to be able to level down in than an actual ranking system. I find it easier to wrap my head around when I just think of it like that.

Jon914

Pro Squid
(I've redacted this post because it had some info we now know isn't quite true. It was mostly true though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: aji

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I skipped very strangely:
Splatzones:
  • C- to B-
  • B+ to A
Tower Control:
  • C- to C+
  • B+ to A
Rainmaker:
  • C- to C+
I don't understand why I skipped C- to B- in on go, then had to rank up to B+ though every rank to skip A- again. I thought that I get trouble ranking up in A+ but instead I ranked up to S+3 (who thought of splitting S+ into 51 ranks? S+0 to S+50. And If you lose your S+1 to S+50 rank you fall back to S+0. Yep if you fail to reach that OK line in S+50, which is at the right end of the gauge, you fall back to S+0)

I always had 15-25 kills/assists (kills and assists are count together) in C- to B+ but now I almost always get around 5-10 kills/assists. Also: I never reached S+ in Splatoon1 but did very quickly in Splatoon2.

Jon914

Pro Squid
(I've redacted this post because it had some info we now know isn't quite true. It was mostly true though.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom