• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rapid Blaster Pro Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Laat of the Shooter weapons to be released, here it is, the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco! (goodness what a mouthful; at least it isn't as much as Custom E-Liter 3K Scope) The Rapid Blaster Pro Deco has the same stats as the normal Rapid Blaster Pro, but with some snazzy yellow arrows to deck it up, like its normal Rapid Blaster Deco variant. This one, however, takes a bit more of an offensive/sneaky approach with the Disruptors for shutting foes down, and the Killer Wail to definitively finish them off. Certainly a type for those who like long range killing, but don't want to go the whole charging route.

Shop Description: The Rapid Blaster Pro Deco may be a bit of a mouthful, but it's worth it for that snazzy decoration! Its stats match the Rapid Blaster Pro's, but it includes Disruptors to weaken your foes before you splat them! Oh, and your Killer Wail can restrict them even more! Give this a try if that's your sprt of thing.

Shop Cost: 18,200

Sub Weapon: Disruptors

Special Weapon: Killer Wail

So, with that having been said, please leave your thoughts on Nintendo's present to us, the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, and Merry Squidmas to all!

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
I'm loving the sub/special combo on this weapon. The disruptors help a lot in close range combat (something the rapid blasters struggle in) and they also help in securing long range kills.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I tried out this weapon in both some Turf War and some Splat Zones, and for the record, this is a fun killer weapon. I know not everyone is as confident in Blasters, let alone Rapid Blasters, as I, but for anyone who is and like the killing playstyle, you'll love this setup. Like the Deco variant of the normal Rapid Blaster, this one favors a more agressive approach than the normal, but unlike the normal Rapid Blaster Deco, this one is not so turf-focused. I've always prefered the normal Rapid Blaster's faster fire rate over this one's longer range, but I find the Disruptors extremely helpful in close-ranged combat, and this weapon, as a result, shuts down agressive Rollers like a boss. Killer Wail is also good from both an assassination and middling approach, and I had some good success in blocking off the enemy's main route with it and landing some splats. I can tell that it will be better on some stages than others, however, because it was not suited to Kelp Dome's open and flat state. But overall, I like this weapon. It will take some getting used to, of course, but not as much as the normal variant, and I think it will pay off better.

Last edited:

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I tried it out and really really like it as a killer. I do well with it, it suits my playstyles well. It's the first of the "rapid" line that gets along well with me. I'd love the disruptors on the regular rapid more, becuse the faster rate of fire helps a lot more when enemies close in, but it does well here and moves the RBP from what I see as a nearly joke of a weapon to a serious favorite.

The issue I see with it is that it might just be the single worst coverage weapon in the game. I WANT to use this weapon, but my issues with terrible teammates in random makes it almostt useless. I can rack up 8+ kills just fine but it means nothing if I instead spend the whole match trying to ink the base with a weapon that covers only tiny lines.

I guess the challenge is: Given it's relatively poor inking, why use this instead of, say splat charger? Or bamboozler, both of which cover at least as good or better, and generally faster. They'd offer similar or better range. Be as fast or faster to kill. And ink terrain as good or better? The AoE playstyle is pretty addictive on its own though. Its a great shooter for charger users and offers a little more aggressive style. It's fun. And I think the new kit really makes it stand out on its own a little more as choice weapon. Before RBP users had to have been suicidal compared to even regular RB. But if going into a match and I have to choose betwen this, bamboozler Mk2 with disruptors, and splat charger, and knowing my team won't be doing enough inking, I' not sure I'd be able to take this into ranked without regretting it. This is easily my favorite fast blaster now, and so far I generally like this more than the ohko chargers except my beloved luna neo. But that turf coverage....

Last edited:

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
The issue I see with it is that it might just be the single worst coverage weapon in the game.
Honestly, I don't think it is that bad. You just need to position yourself and move sideways to cover as much turf as you can in an open area, then go back to playing for kills.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Honestly, I don't think it is that bad. You just need to position yourself and move sideways to cover as much turf as you can in an open area, then go back to playing for kills.
Yeah, that's how to play it with all vertically-inking weapons. Heck, I can eben play a successful E-Liter 3K in Turf War with the right spacing.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yeah, that's how to play it with all vertically-inking weapons. Heck, I can eben play a successful E-Liter 3K in Turf War with the right spacing.
Me too....but I find this to be waay worse for inking than eliter or splat charger due to its speed between shots. It's not rapid blaster slow (I tried that again, forgot just how awful that is for inking), but eliters can lay down solid ink coverage pretty rapidly with partial charges, so can splat charger, to say nothing of squiffer. I've been playing a lot of the big chargers the past week and RBP feels soooo crippled in comparison for turfing. And since my big issues have bee with the need to ink recently, that's important.

That said, I still love the weapon. I just have to reserve it for when I don't think my team is going to be disastrous. This is a fantastic addition. It's just very kill focused.

Turf-wise the only one I'm not sure of in comparison is bamboozler. The thin line and it's habit of dotted-lining may make it no better than this despite it's amazing speed advantage.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
With the current state of the Splatoon meta you could ask this sort of question for pretty much every weapon. Why play a shooter that isn't the Tentatek or one of the Gals? Why play another long range weapon than the Eliter? lf you were only interested in efficiency then you'd always see the same 5 weapons all the time, which is pretty much what's happening on the competitive scene.

Most people pick their weapon based on what feels fun to them. The RBP has a completely different feeling compared to chargers. It has a faster paced gameplay due to its fire rate and most importantly, it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy to rack up kills. Dude calls it a friendlier Jet Squelcher and l think it's a good description.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
With the current state of the Splatoon meta you could ask this sort of question for pretty much every weapon. Why play a shooter that isn't the Tentatek or one of the Gals? Why play another long range weapon than the Eliter? lf you were only interested in efficiency then you'd always see the same 5 weapons all the time, which is pretty much what's happening on the competitive scene.

Most people pick their weapon based on what feels fun to them. The RBP has a completely different feeling compared to chargers. It has a faster paced gameplay due to its fire rate and most importantly, it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy to rack up kills. Dude calls it a friendlier Jet Squelcher and l think it's a good description.
I ask, why play Splattershots or Gals.? Why play ResidentSleeper weapons while I'm better at more interesting ones?

And a friendlier Jet Squelcher? I dunno, it's a different playstyle than the Jet Squelcher, besides them both being back weapons. This is about outright defensive killing, whereas the Jet Squelcher is more focused on active tactical assassination and defense.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I really don't like it. It doesn't seem fun at all. it's got an extremely dull playstyle. Step1. equip bomb range Step2. throw disruptors to keep people in your optimal range Step3. win. However, this doesn't work very well against weapons already in your huge danger zone, or groups. Originally I thought this weapon would be really good, but now that its released i find it completely inferior to the rest of the rb's

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I really don't like it. It doesn't seem fun at all. it's got an extremely dull playstyle. Step1. equip bomb range Step2. throw disruptors to keep people in your optimal range Step3. win. However, this doesn't work very well against weapons already in your huge danger zone, or groups. Originally I thought this weapon would be really good, but now that its released i find it completely inferior to the rest of the rb's
You forgot to mention Killer Wail...???

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
wouldn't this apply to every weapon though?

.52 and .96 gal deco
step 1: throw a splash wall
step 2: win

Chargers:
Step 1: equip ridiculous amounts of damage up
step 2: charge
step 3: win

Rollers:
step 1: get in close
step 2: fling
step 3: win

Blasters:
step 1: aim in enemy's general direction

Splattershot Jr, Tri-Slosher:
Step 1:charge up special
Step 2: win

Dynamo Roller:
step 1: fling

I get that you don't like the weapon, but the argument you used against it is horrible.

Last edited:

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Ya not really feeling it in the 20k points I've used it for so far. Feels like I'm wasting time and ink throwing a disruptors in cqc when I could have potentially got a direct hit and a kill. Seekers are more useful if someone rushes you.

I like killer wail, but you can't spam it like other weapons due to how slow the Rapid pro inks turf. No way you can say it's better than the zooka either.

I would have like to have seen the echo/beacon combo on it actually.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
Ya not really feeling it in the 20k points I've used it for so far. Feels like I'm wasting time and ink throwing a disruptors in cqc when I could have potentially got a direct hit and a kill. Seekers are more useful if someone rushes you.

I like killer wail, but you can't spam it like other weapons due to how slow the Rapid pro inks turf. No way you can say it's better than the zooka either.

I would have like to have seen the echo/beacon combo on it actually.
If you're getting in cqc confrontations with this weapon then you're already doing it wrong. Disruptors are supposed to help you maintain your optimal range, not act as a magical get out of jail free card. That being said even in such a scenario l don't know how you can say disruptors are a waste compared to seekers. They have a bigger hitbox, come out faster and essentially immobilize your opponent making flanking and landing a direct far easier.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
If you're getting in cqc confrontations with this weapon then you're already doing it wrong.
nope not doing anything wrong. Just being realistic. I'd rather have a ohko bomb in my pocket to panic throw than something that doesn't do much to help you in close range. Maybe I'd like them better with an ink saver/bomb throw up piece of gear, but then I'd have to give up dmg up you know?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
nope not doing anything wrong. Just being realistic. I'd rather have a ohko bomb in my pocket to panic throw than something that doesn't do much to help you in close range. Maybe I'd like them better with an ink saver/bomb throw up piece of gear, but then I'd have to give up dmg up you know?
Then that's up to you to figure out your gear crisis. This is to analyze the weapon itself first and foremost, and then gear only afterwords.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Then that's up to you to figure out your gear crisis. This is to analyze the weapon itself first and foremost, and then gear only afterwords.
Disruptors suck with the Rapid pro and your wasting your time not running all dmg up gear.

Feel better?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@Of Moose & Men has a bomb range build that he(she?) seems to like a lot, but I'll admit that not running 3 dmg up mains and at least 1 sub feels weird.

I couldn't figure out the disruptors on this thing either, but I'm not good with them in general. The RBD is still my favorite rapid blaster; feels more intuitive. I'll probably give this another shot with all the newbies out there. Perfect time to test new weapons.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Problem with Damage ups is the fact that the RBPD caps out at 99.9, so there's no need to run max dmg up. With that said, you can run some, to help with Area damage, but considering the fact you have disruptors to severely slow their run speed, you shouldn't have a problem with killing. Just gotta get those disruptors down. Like I've said, this is very much a weapon that abuses the ever living hell out of being aware of its surroundings, and keeping people away. I run no damage ups at all and have been quite successful with it. I'm playing it as a constantly special charging "bot" of sorts, but it can of course be worked differently. I think the set I've found to be quite successful though. But, unlike ELiters there are multiple possibilities for this weapon, feel free to experiment.

I'm just not entirely sure carrying more than like, a set of damage up is worth it.

I'm a dude btw lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom