• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Reddit's Going Private in Protest of a recent termination.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
hey everyone. just a heads up, tons of subreddits (including r/splatoon) have gone private in protest to the termination of an ama coordinator. apparently the mods have had it w/ admins' lack of communication and mod tool accessability.

you can find out more in the live subreddit link below:
https://np.reddit.com/live/v6d0vi6c8veb

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
I can't be the only one who feels that this going dark thing is very childish.

Maybe its because I really don't know much about the admin's lack of communication.

pinguino

Inkling
NNID
pinguinoEO
Some subreddits have legitimate beef over it. The fired admin was vital to a good number of subs. Going dark is "If the admins don't respect the time and effort we volunteer to this site, we'll stop doing it and see how they react" or something like that.

Other subs just seem to be following the crowd. I have no idea why r/splatoon closed its doors. They weren't involved at all, far as I know.

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
I can't be the only one who feels that this going dark thing is very childish.

Maybe its because I really don't know much about the admin's lack of communication.
It's very childish. The entire concept of "solidarity" over something so abysmally small for reddits like Splatoon is just inane...

Seriously, debating whether or not I'll even be returning to /r/splatoon after it's all over. Protests like these are fine for legitimate reasons... this was just ridiculous.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
Well the subreddit is no longer private. You just can't make any new posts. Doesn't make it any better.

EDIT: They put it back on private lol

Last edited:

Blitzblazer

Inkling
Fortunately, r/Splatoon is the only one of the Subreddits that I'm subed to that went private.

Did the mods even ask the community before going dark?

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
Welp, here's my two cents:

The entire protest is about mods not being given enough communication and tools, and essentially being ignored by the Admins at Reddit HQ... at least the big picture. It was instigated by a crucial admin who helped with /r/IAmA so that sub put itself on private to adjust and find a new strategy around her leaving. So reddit's mods are having a big hug party / protest in solidarity at the cost of the users...

Seriously, from here they look like the very admins they protest... ignoring us, and making an arbitrary choice. /r/splatoon is so far removed from this whole mess they're simply doing this to "fit in" while ignoring us... Why shouldn't we protest them? What makes them any better?

The irony is, this is an abuse of mod power... No matter where I went if the mods just started locking thread for no reason willy nilly - I'd probably leave and never come back.

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
Fortunately, r/Splatoon is the only one of the Subreddits that I'm subed to that went private.

Did the mods even ask the community before going dark?
No, no they did not... It was sudden, and then they had one of the mods pop on and write a "Chill the hell out, it's temporary" post, and then put it on private again... most jank *** modding I've ever seen.

Blitzblazer

Inkling
No, no they did not... It was sudden, and then they had one of the mods pop on and write a "Chill the hell out, it's temporary" post, and then put it on private again... most jank *** modding I've ever seen.
Damn. Guess I'm unsubing when it come's back. Sucks because that was my main source for news and fan content.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Everyone needs to chill. /r/Splatoon went private in support of the reddit community as a whole.

Reddit has had problems support the moderators that devote their time to curating content FOR FREE. /u/Chooter's dismissal from the company was just the straw on the camel's back. This is something that has been building up for a long time that is just now getting the chance to fully develop.

Kirbyfan391

Inkling
/r/Splatoon blacking out will have nothing but negative effects. It's not like the reddit admins will even care about it in relevance to the recent termination...in the end it'll only just harm those that want to browse or contribute /r/Splatoon, aka the users.
Of course, it's back now, and that's good.

Last edited:

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
Everyone needs to chill. /r/Splatoon went private in support of the reddit community as a whole.

Reddit has had problems support the moderators that devote their time to curating content FOR FREE. /u/Chooter's dismissal from the company was just the straw on the camel's back. This is something that has been building up for a long time that is just now getting the chance to fully develop.
Even so, There was no warning, asking, or even running it by the community (many other subs at least talked with their communities before doing so), and when a mod did reach out they simply told us to chill... Not everyone on that sub frequents all of reddit. So the sudden blockage would be surprising for anyone who's not a big reddit goer. Even if they went private to support the "community as a whole" they needed to run it by their own friggin' community before going for the gusto, and not immediately responding to frustration with condescension. Mods shouldn't be making arbitrary decisions that affect everyone like that.

Besides apparently only a handful of mods knew about it, and the "head mod" just did it without running it by anyone, which surprised even a few mods... I'm sorry, but they handled it horribly.

EDIT: I also want to add: most forum moderation has been free since dial up - it's kind of a community service type job. You're not supposed to expect things out of it aside from a rewarding community. I'm not saying they don't deserve respect, but they also took it too far. We're users and we add the content to curate... Without us they don't have that. It's a machine every gear needs to work in tandem to produce results, when they start grinding, or one gear stalls out for some seemingly random reason - you get problems, and working in tandem means communication BEFORE you make big decisions like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom