• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Regular Battle (Turf War) Discussion

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture

Welcome to the Multiplayer Discussion Board's Regular Battle Discussion Thread!

Regular Battle's current mode is: Turf War

In Turf War, your objective is to cover as much of your team's paint across the map before time ends, more than your opponent spread their own team's paint! Players team up in squads of four with different kinds of weapons to splat opponents and cover the map with paint.
This thread is for general discussion regarding Regular Battle (Turf War). Be sure to keep discussion in this thread about Turf War, playing in Regular Battle, and related topics.

Last edited:

Cardon

Inkling
NNID
CardonT
After 4 hours I'm still not quite sure what this little card thingy with the flags, a 'rank' (Toasty, Smokin', On Fire etc.) and the numbers does. Is it Regular Battle's Matchmaking, since I noticed a raise in difficulty, or does it increase rewards in some way?

All I know is that it's rising by one point for every win, and I think it loses half a point for losses, so it's not really a win streak, either.

Does anyone have a clear idea on this? The manual mentioned nothing.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
After 4 hours I'm still not quite sure what this little card thingy with the flags, a 'rank' (Toasty, Smokin', On Fire etc.) and the numbers does. Is it Regular Battle's Matchmaking, since I noticed a raise in difficulty, or does it increase rewards in some way?

All I know is that it's rising by one point for every win, and I think it loses half a point for losses, so it's not really a win streak, either.

Does anyone have a clear idea on this? The manual mentioned nothing.
Judd tells you what it means if you talked to him. Basically, the higher your "rank" (Toasty, Smokin', etc) the bigger the reward you get from Judd after you finish playing online. However, the higher your rank is, the more prone you are to losing a lot if you lose a match. It's basically risk vs reward. Do you risk it all and keep getting higher ranks? Or do you stop after a certain point to secure a solid reward?

Just make sure to talk to Judd to get your reward! A lot of people forget this.

Cardon

Inkling
NNID
CardonT
Judd tells you what it means if you talked to him. Basically, the higher your "rank" (Toasty, Smokin', etc) the bigger the reward you get from Judd after you finish playing online. However, the higher your rank is, the more prone you are to losing a lot if you lose a match. It's basically risk vs reward. Do you risk it all and keep getting higher ranks? Or do you stop after a certain point to secure a solid reward?

Oh, that's good to know. I only talked to Judd once in the beginning where he told me to get cool or GTFO like all the other NPCs :p

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus

I might be wrong on this, I'll have to double check, but I believe I got rewarded for the highest rank I was at, so even though I dropped down before talking to Judd I still got the higher reward. As I said I'll double check and feedback.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Didn't know that. Good info!

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
I got to Smokin' then dropped back to Toasty, checked with Judd, got the Smokin' reward.

However, whenever the maps change your streak gets reset and you get no reward.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
Current maps (Blackbelly Skatepark and Arowana Mall) are the the best maps.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
Roller and Junior are looking to be very strong weapons for Turf Wars. It's a wild chaotic environment and you have to put out huge quantities of ink wherever you go. Winning fights in Turf Wars seems to mainly involve tricky movement and fast thinking, not precision shooting/reflex shots. With a team of Rollers/MGs you can bully opponents into submission all the while grabbing territory for your team at the same time.

I find utterly disrespectful aggression to be a most sublime strategy. You won't win every fight/match this way, but I've found good results in stupid, reckless mindless charges and got a surprising amount of splats along with territorial follow-through. Opponents often expect you to respect them, use that assumption to your advantage. Get up in their face quickly and show them you don't give a squid.

You have to take huge risks. If you play it safe you will not be able to influence the outcome game.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Roller and Junior are looking to be very strong weapons for Turf Wars. It's a wild chaotic environment and you have to put out huge quantities of ink wherever you go. Winning fights in Turf Wars seems to mainly involve tricky movement and fast thinking, not precision shooting/reflex shots. With a team of Rollers/MGs you can bully opponents into submission all the while grabbing territory for your team at the same time.

I find utterly disrespectful aggression to be a most sublime strategy. You won't win every fight/match this way, but I've found good results in stupid, reckless mindless charges and got a surprising amount of splats along with territorial follow-through. Opponents often expect you to respect them, use that assumption to your advantage. Get up in their face quickly and show them you don't give a squid.

You have to take huge risks. If you play it safe you will not be able to influence the outcome game.
I'm gonna have to disagree with ya, their are plenty of strats for Turf War, I'll focus on defense and let my partners advance and spawn on me while I very slowly push forward, making sure to always control the middle of the map, while retreating when two or more other enemies appear.

So far I have been loving the .52 Gal, Krack On Roller and Tentatek Splattershot. I'll play pretty aggro as you say with the roller, but with an emphasis on flanking and sneaking around. Regardless, just staying alive is one of the most important things you can do.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister

BOOONSAAAAIII!!!!! CHAERG!:mad: Seriously though I like to do the same thing. Though lately i've bin' Gravitating towards the humble Kelp Splat charger which requires a bit more sneaking but is o so satisfying. Also sprinkler is OP:p

Deru

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Derick

Oh, I didn't know about this! I've talked to him but he has never mentioned the ranking system so I stopped checking up with him. I'm assuming the reward is money?

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
I really enjoy the way the maps are set out. I feel like the limit of two maps at a time is meant for us to figure out the best weapons to take into a specific scenario. At the same time, the regular switching (is it like every 3 hours or so? not sure) has been keeping things interesting. Making up a strategy on the spot the first time I saw a stage was enjoyable.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf Wars are fun. It is so awesome to be playing with everyone on such a stable online environment. It is hopefully thanks to the Global Test fire this was possible.

But yeah, I'm having a blast experimenting.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
I really enjoy the way the maps are set out. I feel like the limit of two maps at a time is meant for us to figure out the best weapons to take into a specific scenario. At the same time, the regular switching (is it like every 3 hours or so? not sure) has been keeping things interesting. Making up a strategy on the spot the first time I saw a stage was enjoyable.
I agree with you about the map switching, good mechanic.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae

This is a adding factor of why I'm not going to be dropping Turf War after Ranked Battles come out. It completely luck based rather or not your team is actually good or not. Right when I was on the "SO HAWT!" rank, my team started losing and losing because most of them was level 1 - 5s. My rank dropped down to "Toasty" and it kept on dropping and dropping because my team was losing a lot.. I know it a risk and reward thing but that just putted a bad taste in my mouth. At least in Ranked Battles I can stand a chance and don't have to carry the whole damn team.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
This is a adding factor of why I'm not going to be dropping Turf War after Ranked Battles come out. It completely luck based rather or not your team is actually good or not. Right when I was on the "SO HAWT!" rank, my team started losing and losing because most of them was level 1 - 5s. My rank dropped down to "Toasty" and it kept on dropping and dropping because my team was losing a lot.. I know it a risk and reward thing but that just putted a bad taste in my mouth. At least in Ranked Battles I can stand a chance and don't have to carry the whole damn team.
Ranked Battles are even more reliant on having a solid team that can work together.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Having a lobby of 6-8 high level players is more fun than i've had in mario kart in years.

Reactions: flc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom