1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

3. We just overhauled our look and made some big updates. Learn about all the changes!

4. Nintendo has officially revealed their new console, previously codenamed NX! It's called the Nintendo Switch and they've announced Splatoon 2, coming this summer!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Regular Battle (Turf War) Discussion

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by TheRapture, May 28, 2015.

1. TheRapture

TheRapture Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
    Admin

NNID:
    Ya_Boi_Rapture
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the Multiplayer Discussion Board's Regular Battle Discussion Thread!

Regular Battle's current mode is: Turf War

[​IMG]

In Turf War, your objective is to cover as much of your team's paint across the map before time ends, more than your opponent spread their own team's paint! Players team up in squads of four with different kinds of weapons to splat opponents and cover the map with paint.
    This thread is for general discussion regarding Regular Battle (Turf War). Be sure to keep discussion in this thread about Turf War, playing in Regular Battle, and related topics.

#1 TheRapture, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Cardon

Cardon Inkling

NNID:
    CardonT
    After 4 hours I'm still not quite sure what this little card thingy with the flags, a 'rank' (Toasty, Smokin', On Fire etc.) and the numbers does. Is it Regular Battle's Matchmaking, since I noticed a raise in difficulty, or does it increase rewards in some way?

All I know is that it's rising by one point for every win, and I think it loses half a point for losses, so it's not really a win streak, either.

Does anyone have a clear idea on this? The manual mentioned nothing.

3. Shirma Akayaku

Shirma Akayaku Pro Squid

NNID:
    Toadette75
    Judd tells you what it means if you talked to him. Basically, the higher your "rank" (Toasty, Smokin', etc) the bigger the reward you get from Judd after you finish playing online. However, the higher your rank is, the more prone you are to losing a lot if you lose a match. It's basically risk vs reward. Do you risk it all and keep getting higher ranks? Or do you stop after a certain point to secure a solid reward?

Just make sure to talk to Judd to get your reward! A lot of people forget this.

spiffy, Cola and Cardon like this.
  4. Cardon

Cardon Inkling

NNID:
    CardonT
    Oh, that's good to know. I only talked to Judd once in the beginning where he told me to get cool or GTFO like all the other NPCs :p

5. Ellocus

Ellocus Senior Squid

NNID:
    rebellocus
    I might be wrong on this, I'll have to double check, but I believe I got rewarded for the highest rank I was at, so even though I dropped down before talking to Judd I still got the higher reward. As I said I'll double check and feedback.

6. Reila

Reila Inkling Fleet Admiral

Didn't know that. Good info!

7. Ellocus

Ellocus Senior Squid

NNID:
    rebellocus
    I got to Smokin' then dropped back to Toasty, checked with Judd, got the Smokin' reward.

However, whenever the maps change your streak gets reset and you get no reward.

8. RotomGuy

RotomGuy Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    RotomGuy
    Current maps (Blackbelly Skatepark and Arowana Mall) are the the best maps.

9. Reila

Arowana Mall is actually my least favorite one so far.

dustmyte likes this.
  10. dustmyte

dustmyte Full Squid

NNID:
    dustmyte
    Roller and Junior are looking to be very strong weapons for Turf Wars. It's a wild chaotic environment and you have to put out huge quantities of ink wherever you go. Winning fights in Turf Wars seems to mainly involve tricky movement and fast thinking, not precision shooting/reflex shots. With a team of Rollers/MGs you can bully opponents into submission all the while grabbing territory for your team at the same time.

I find utterly disrespectful aggression to be a most sublime strategy. You won't win every fight/match this way, but I've found good results in stupid, reckless mindless charges and got a surprising amount of splats along with territorial follow-through. Opponents often expect you to respect them, use that assumption to your advantage. Get up in their face quickly and show them you don't give a squid.

You have to take huge risks. If you play it safe you will not be able to influence the outcome game.

Cola, Howl, WiseSquid and 1 other person like this.
  11. WispBae

WispBae Pro Squid

NNID:
    The-Wispy
    I'm gonna have to disagree with ya, their are plenty of strats for Turf War, I'll focus on defense and let my partners advance and spawn on me while I very slowly push forward, making sure to always control the middle of the map, while retreating when two or more other enemies appear.

So far I have been loving the .52 Gal, Krack On Roller and Tentatek Splattershot. I'll play pretty aggro as you say with the roller, but with an emphasis on flanking and sneaking around. Regardless, just staying alive is one of the most important things you can do.

12. WiseSquid

WiseSquid Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Lornomeister
    BOOONSAAAAIII!!!!! CHAERG!:mad: Seriously though I like to do the same thing. Though lately i've bin' Gravitating towards the humble Kelp Splat charger which requires a bit more sneaking but is o so satisfying. Also sprinkler is OP:p

dustmyte likes this.
  13. Deru

Deru Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Derick
    Oh, I didn't know about this! I've talked to him but he has never mentioned the ranking system so I stopped checking up with him. I'm assuming the reward is money?

14. h.JC

h.JC Inkster Jr.

I really enjoy the way the maps are set out. I feel like the limit of two maps at a time is meant for us to figure out the best weapons to take into a specific scenario. At the same time, the regular switching (is it like every 3 hours or so? not sure) has been keeping things interesting. Making up a strategy on the spot the first time I saw a stage was enjoyable.

15. WaifuRaccoonBL

WaifuRaccoonBL Inkling Fleet Admiral

Turf Wars are fun. It is so awesome to be playing with everyone on such a stable online environment. It is hopefully thanks to the Global Test fire this was possible.

But yeah, I'm having a blast experimenting.

16. Actilide

Actilide Inkling Cadet

I agree with you about the map switching, good mechanic.

17. Shirma Akayaku

Shirma Akayaku Pro Squid

NNID:
    Toadette75
    Yep. The reward is money.

18. Chaozrush21

Chaozrush21 Full Squid

NNID:
    dotmae
    This is a adding factor of why I'm not going to be dropping Turf War after Ranked Battles come out. It completely luck based rather or not your team is actually good or not. Right when I was on the "SO HAWT!" rank, my team started losing and losing because most of them was level 1 - 5s. My rank dropped down to "Toasty" and it kept on dropping and dropping because my team was losing a lot.. I know it a risk and reward thing but that just putted a bad taste in my mouth. At least in Ranked Battles I can stand a chance and don't have to carry the whole damn team.

19. RotomGuy

RotomGuy Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    RotomGuy
    Ranked Battles are even more reliant on having a solid team that can work together.

20. Agosta44

Agosta44 Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Agosta
    Having a lobby of 6-8 high level players is more fun than i've had in mario kart in years.

flc likes this.
  21. flc

flc Inkling Commander

NNID:
    fiveleafclover
    how to score large squid bopping pts:
    - pick splattershot jr w/ bubbler
    - get 180 pts by taking high ground and spreading a ton of ink around
    - use special, get triple kill on enemy team
    - continue spreading ink around

ez 1.5k

we had like 6 people taking turns getting 1.3k+ on wins for a good 2-3 hours straight because of how effective this is

(note: ss jr is actually an awful weapon for slaying, bubbler is just that good)

22. Cardon

Cardon Inkling

NNID:
    CardonT
    Anyone else experiencing the learning curve again after rocking each testfire? Guess the added variants in weaponry make it a bit harder.

#22 Cardon, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  23. IsmaR

IsmaR was tentacles all along
    Super Moderator

Playing with friends (total group of 6/7 meant a full squad of just us was not uncommon) makes all the difference in the world.

Can't wait for Ranked Battles and eventually custom lobbies

AEM likes this.
  24. Squilliam

Squilliam Inkling

NNID:
    AwesomeAdz
    If you speak to Judd, he will give you rewards (coins) on how well you've done
    E.G., If you are 'Toasty' he will give you 100 coins.

25. suavevillain

suavevillain Inkling Cadet

Rollers have gotten alot better in high level play lol.

26. StormPhrax

StormPhrax Full Squid

NNID:
    joelsmart01
    They're good in any level of play really, they provide a really easy start for new players and it kind of translates through to higher levels along with the skill of the players.

27. Keybladeguy

Keybladeguy Inkling

NNID:
    NESKeyblade
    Is there somewhere we can go to put out FC and play matches

h.JC likes this.
  28. Geno9999

Geno9999 Inkling

NNID:
    Geno9999
    I think Arowana Mall is an utterly terrible map for Rollers: the ramps don't lend themselves well to be covered by the Roller's splat attack. Though my opinion may be tainted by the one match where two of my teammates disconnected, leaving me and the other roller to fend for ourselves. That was a royal mess.:(

Skatepark is a little more subtle on this: there's plenty valleys for you to cover, in general the slopes are lower, though trying to get up to the center tower is extremely hard.

All in all, I think Rollers are going to be a bit more of a situational weapon than they were in the Global Testfire; very useful on maps with angular slopes and flat terrain, but horrible on maps with uneven terrain, high verticality, or lots of open areas.

29. Howl

Howl Pro Squid

NNID:
    SilverHowl
    I think Rollers are losing popularity in favor of Aerospray at the moment.

30. jp4464

jp4464 Jazzy Inkling
    Moderator Premium

NNID:
    jp4464
    While I've been seeing tons of posts on the Aerospray Builds (MG and RG), I have to say that I've been seeing tons of Krak-On Splat Rollers as well.

I guess the current meta (if we wanna call it that) is mainly offensive-type builds, primarily the standard Splattershot Jr., Aerospray MG/RG, Krak-On Roller, and .52 Gal builds.

31. Howl

Howl Pro Squid

NNID:
    SilverHowl
    Pretty much yeah. Krak-On Splat Roller is still very popular, but due to new people unlocking the Aerospray it's been falling off a bit (you would even see 3 Rollers in the same team, now it's been evened out a bit)

The discovery of Aerospray probably also hurt the popularity of SSJR though.

Geno9999 likes this.
  32. Reila

Anecdotal evidence but I am still being constantly paired with three rollers on my team, so I am unsure about rollers losing popularity. That said, yeah the aerospraies are raising in popularity quickly and it's easy to understand why.

33. JuddTheCat

JuddTheCat Inkling Cadet

I keep seeing Splat Rollers and rapid fire weapons, mainly aerospray. Somehow, someone got a 11 kills and died 0 times, he had a aerospray. Either he's good or someone got angry and kept trying to kill him and failed.

34. Geno9999

Geno9999 Inkling

NNID:
    Geno9999
    Did he have the Airstrike special? That could net some kills without needing to be exposed.

35. JuddTheCat

JuddTheCat Inkling Cadet

Didn't see any airstrikes so I doubt it.

36. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Squid Savior From the Future

NNID:
    FurryRedPanda
    This is honestly my favorite mode, great with friends. :)

37. IttyBit

IttyBit Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    IttyBit
    This mode really clicks with me. It's one of the few games that I genuinely feel good at.
    I'm not the best offensive player, so playing this mode feels great because I can still feel like I'm contributing by sneaking through the map and rolling up ink, and if I ever feel threatened, I turn into a Kraken and rip into the person. I've also gotten pretty good with the splash attack. The more I play with it, the more the roller feels like a mix between a flamethrower and a shotgun when used as a weapon.

38. Reila

I still like this more than splat zones :)

39. Hinichii.ez.™

Hinichii.ez.™ Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?

NNID:
    Hinichii
    soon™

40. Reila

what