• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Resource icon

Maps Remember to NOT paint your base before you go to the battle

Palas

Inkling
NNID
JPalas
Palas submitted a new guide:

Remember to NOT paint your base before you go to the battle - I will cover the pros on why you shouldn't paint your base at the beginning of a match

Hi! I'm Palas [NNID: JPalas] and this is my first guide at Squidboards and in general. I consider myself good at the game and I want to share with you some of my thoughts when I start a Turf War battle.

The majority of people cover their bases before they go to the battle, and they are doing it WRONG, why? Let me cover some of the points that I think matter a lot more than cover your base at the beginning of a match.

Control of a Zone.- I know, we are not playing Splat...​
Read more about this guide...

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Hmm. Not bad points, methinks.

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
This thought process is pretty good and I would agree with it if it weren't for one thing: I've lost a lot of matches because my team didn't ink the base. It's certainly an important thing to do, just maybe have a roller take the job and the rest of the teammates go onto battle?

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
This thought process is pretty good and I would agree with it if it weren't for one thing: I've lost a lot of matches because my team didn't ink the base. It's certainly an important thing to do, just maybe have a roller take the job and the rest of the teammates go onto battle?
What he's saying is that it should not be a priority when the battle starts; players should advance toward advantage points, then just paint the base in-between deaths.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I'll consider this. I love inking all over the base when my teammates miss it (I got two Inkstrikes from it earlier) but you have some good points.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
When I was really new to Splatoon I was like "why aren't you inking the base!" and then a few days later I realize that I shouldn't ink the base.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Yes and No. If you're going to take control of the base, why not just take it and get it over with? It's free gravy.
I agree that you should get to congested areas as soon as possible, but ignoring a free charge on your special isn't a good idea.
I usually win my matches by having one dedicated person ink the base while everyone else stays on the frontline.

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
Yes and No. If you're going to take control of the base, why not just take it and get it over with? It's free gravy.
I agree that you should get to congested areas as soon as possible, but ignoring a free charge on your special isn't a good idea.
I usually win my matches by having one dedicated person ink the base while everyone else stays on the frontline.
I honestly think this is the optimal strategy if you want to ink the base and take control of the middle at the same time.

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
Guys always remember that if you have a roller on your team let them cover your base. Or at least hope that they do.

Rollers, I've seen too many of you not cover your base. This is your job before you cover the middle. You cover far more ink than almost all weapons in the game. Your job is a defensive one, not an offensive one. At least not until you know what you're doing. Though for the most part you want to be defensive. This does mean making sure your base is always good before heading back to the middle.

Many times has the opposing team lost in close calls lose to not covering areas in their base. You need someone to cover it, If no rollers, an Aerospray or an Inkbrush can do the job.

Zovnig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zovnig
Switch Friend Code
SW-7684-8628-6291
To me it really depends on the map. To stay around too long to cover your own area in Saltspray-Rig, Port Mackerel and on Blackberry Skaterpark is suicide. You need to move as fast as possible to take control over the middle (Skatepark and Mackerel) and the back (Saltspray-Rig).

On Arowana Mall and Kelp Dome it feel like it's a gigantic missed opportunity to not cover you homebase and the surroundings to get charged up really fast.

I haven't come to a final conclusion on Bluefin Depot and Urchin Underpass :)

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
I never considered this.
All this time, I've actually be inking the base, but it would explain why I see a lot of people leaving it.
But at least now it's explained to me.
I'll consider this more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom