• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Respawn Punisher

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Like... just, why?
It's such a terrible ability. It wouldn't be so bad if it had less of a penalty on you, but seriously. This thing is just so bad right now. The fact that the penalty is harsher on you than the opponents you kill is really mind-blowing to me and really should not exist. Seriously, why can't this be buffed already?

Also, why is Cold-Blooded now a sub ability? No one wants it as a sub, it should really be a main-only.
(Ink resist up SHOULD HAVE been a sub all along though)

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I have to agree. Respawn Punisher, just conceptually, is completely pointless and awful.

It could be paired with Quick Respawn, but even then it's incredibly situational, specific, and difficult in usefulness. I have no idea why anybody at Nintendo thought it was a good idea.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
We would all be using respawn punisher if it didn't affect you but at the same it would become broken like the tri-slosher. The whole idea of punishing splatted opponents really suck; let them live.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I like the idea a lot, and I think it SHOULD affect you more than it affects your opponents. The entire risk/reward of it is that you need to be splatting opponents at a much higher rate than you yourself gets splatted to make it worth it. It's how big the difference is between your respawn time and theirs that makes it so bad. They really needed to make it so your respawn time was just a little bit worse. Then it would be dope.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I like the idea a lot, and I think it SHOULD affect you more than it affects your opponents. The entire risk/reward of it is that you need to be splatting opponents at a much higher rate than you yourself gets splatted to make it worth it. It's how big the difference is between your respawn time and theirs that makes it so bad. They really needed to make it so your respawn time was just a little bit worse. Then it would be dope.
Alright join me in one of my lucky ranked matches, use respawn punisher whilst I get 25 kills :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Alright join me in one of my lucky ranked matches, use respawn punisher whilst I get 25 kills :p
Hahaha. Even if RP worked how they say it does, I can't help but use ninja squid. I tried to quit the way of the ninja but can't.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I think it would have the same issue even with a lesser penalty to the player. Respawn punisher is a win-more ability: it's only useful if you're already winning. It's the only ability in the game that functions this way. Every other ability, no matter how bad it is, can still be useful in a position where you're coming from behind. Respawn punisher only helps you if you have a bare minimum level of performance (being able to get a splat) and that will always weigh it down. It also scales terribly, since if you're regularly killing the entire team, why would you need to punish them even more?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I think it would have the same issue even with a lesser penalty to the player. Respawn punisher is a win-more ability: it's only useful if you're already winning. It's the only ability in the game that functions this way. Every other ability, no matter how bad it is, can still be useful in a position where you're coming from behind. Respawn punisher only helps you if you have a bare minimum level of performance (being able to get a splat) and that will always weigh it down. It also scales terribly, since if you're regularly killing the entire team, why would you need to punish them even more?
That's fair. My counter-argument to that is both situational and a little bit of me playing Devil's advocate, so don't take it as me trying to fight tooth and nail for RP.

Those extra seconds become more important in both rainmaker and tower where the objective is to bring an object closer and closer to the enemy's base. So the closer you push it, the bigger difference it makes to buy yourself some extra time.

There's sometimes a weird thing with rainmaker especially when you're sometimes hurting your team by killing someone who is behind your rainmaker carrier (as opposed to between the carrier and the base) because it gets them back to a defensive position where, before, they may not have caught up. That becomes less of an issue with RP due to the added time.

Now, like I said, that's situational, and it's probably not worth it. Otherwise, you should only use it if you are the God of Murder, and your ability to murder any and everything is unstoppable. But even then, you're probably winning anyway, right?

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
That's fair. My counter-argument to that is both situational and a little bit of me playing Devil's advocate, so don't take it as me trying to fight tooth and nail for RP.

Those extra seconds become more important in both rainmaker and tower where the objective is to bring an object closer and closer to the enemy's base. So the closer you push it, the bigger difference it makes to buy yourself some extra time.

There's sometimes a weird thing with rainmaker especially when you're sometimes hurting your team by killing someone who is behind your rainmaker carrier (as opposed to between the carrier and the base) because it gets them back to a defensive position where, before, they may not have caught up. That becomes less of an issue with RP due to the added time.

Now, like I said, that's situational, and it's probably not worth it. Otherwise, you should only use it if you are the God of Murder, and your ability to murder any and everything is unstoppable. But even then, you're probably winning anyway, right?
For that situation in RM with the enemy out of position, that's a misplay on the enemy's part. He always has the option of jumping back to spawn. You can't judge an ability's value based on how well it does against a misplaying opponent, since every ability is good in that situation.
I can see your point about the extra seconds in RM/TC, but the issue is that any ability that would slightly delay the enemy's respawn could also be replaced with any of the many abilities that just make it easier to survive against them again. And the good thing is that even if your push fails, you haven't hurt yourself by having respawn punisher equipped.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
This thread might be biased because my main (rapid blaster) is generally known for getting a lot of kills and dying a lot too. That's definitely a problem for respawn punisher.
Also, I'm not sure if this says anything about whether I SHOULD be running it, but my set's main abilities are Ink Saver Main, Sub Power Up, and Stealth Jump.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Its better on long-range/supportive weapons from my experience.
As you won't be dying as much.

Though i never found an extra 0.8 seconds more respawn time worth the risks though.

Cirdec

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3903-0542-7126
I use it with e-liter 3K scope and I get pretty good results with it, since I usually splat more people than I die. Since 1.2/0.8=1.5, this ability rewards you if your splat ratio is at least 1.5:1
So I think it's a good abilty on long range chargers, but bad on everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom