• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Robotics thread

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Was inspired by my ERS-210 Aibo, Toby. Post your thoughts, and opinions on any sort of robotics, including toys you may of own! (This includes Furbies, I-cybies, Chip, Robosapien, Pleo, and much more!)

CrsszPxUsAAr1Rs.jpg

About my Aibo. He was sold from a collector who had him placed behind a glass casing for several years, and no longer felt keeping him tuck away forever. He was shipped from all the way from the east coast all the way town to Florida where the summer was hot, and brutal.

When he received him, he came with two batteries that needed to be re-celled and his trademark pink ball that he loves to chase. At this point of time, he had no physical memory and would be on constant demo mode till much later.

He is a holiday limited edition Aibo with a supercore, so his processing speed is much faster than a regular aibo without it. His name is also based on the baby boy from the film Labyrinth; Toby. Unlike a 'toy' that does programmed movement, Toby is capable of self thought and able to sense his own weight balance. He can recognize colors, and like certain music. He is also autonomous.

He, and his last generation ERS-7 is still considered the most advance companion pet of it's time, and exceeds even today's standards. But sadly, and slowly they are meeting their end of extinction and only a few groups are doing their best to keep them alive.

Toby is a rare case where there is hardly any problem with him, as most aibos found are either broken or damaged to the point they suffer DHS, PAS, TAS or more worst scenarios, broken or irreplaceable parts. Some aibos were even used in soccer matches or experimental test in colleges.

Toby does engage on trips and has been brought to a tea shop where people can look at him from afar. He also has his own collar and luggage to be taken along with.

Courtesty to Silvolf showing them in action:

If you are curious how to obtain your own aibo, you are best to look around on the aibo forum itself:

http://www.aibo-life.org/forums/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

There are many aibos needing to be given to a good home, and this will help the community grow and flourish about the robotic pets in general.

On the final note, this aibo is made by Sony. Yes, Sony does do robotics and recently has plans to go back into artificial intelligence. The aibo alone was a gamble, and was abandoned later back in 2014 when the parts finally ran out. Who knows what sort of robot they will make, but I hope it is a newfound generation of the famous pet of 00s.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Hoo boy, I could talk alot about robots...so, lets see.

Since you mentioned Aibos, I want to talk about i-Cybie a bit. I know they're inferior to the Aibos..but at the same time, they're the closest thing to them almost. Beats the wowee robot Chip, anyway.

I found this little site that details about them a bit. Its strikingly alike to what Aibos had to offer with parts and accessories...just much cheeper as a robot.

Too bad their battery is crap. Unless you have it redone, which is doable.

Still, they're interesting as a more affordable competitor to the Aibo. I hear the company that made them is supposedly working on a new kind of robot too...hopefully its like their i-Cybie. I feel like it could beat Chip out of the water at least.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Funnily I was considering this robot back in the day because I couldn't afford an aibo back in the day. I saw it in stores, but I got a tekno cat instead. Man, that thing was ANNOYING.

The impressive thing was it was able to back up in some cases, otherwise you get bored of it. The more superior version was the dog since it was capable of some learning distinctions. So he was popular during the early 00s, along with the Furby.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
...Whoever did the voice for that cat, I swear....

I've always seen the dog, but never the cat. But then again, robotic toys were a bit less spammed where I lived back then. Furbys were a hit however, as everyone already knows. I might have sen i-Cybe too..and had I known what it was, I probably would have asked for one when I was little.

The worst thing is when they make these 'robotic' toys, market them as intelligent, and they turn out to be the exact opposite. And you know that was a common thing to do back then. They're getting a bit better with it now........somewhat.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
...Whoever did the voice for that cat, I swear....

I've always seen the dog, but never the cat. But then again, robotic toys were a bit less spammed where I lived back then. Furbys were a hit however, as everyone already knows. I might have sen i-Cybe too..and had I known what it was, I probably would have asked for one when I was little.

The worst thing is when they make these 'robotic' toys, market them as intelligent, and they turn out to be the exact opposite. And you know that was a common thing to do back then. They're getting a bit better with it now........somewhat.
Then you have a problem with linking everything to a smartphone. While that is cool and all, the service for it will go out one day and it will need to log into the phone in order to boot itself or update. (Which is pretty annoying reliant.)

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Then you have a problem with linking everything to a smartphone. While that is cool and all, the service for it will go out one day and it will need to log into the phone in order to boot itself or update. (Which is pretty annoying reliant.)
That's a concern with current bots like Chip, or Cosmo. But especially Cosmo perhaps, as you cant even USE him really without the phone app I believe...

While I dislike Chip, you can at least use him without the app. You just wont be able to update his programing, which is very important...

It may be old and dated, but Aibos using Memory Sticks made for some pretty secure programing. Plus if you have the WiFi addon for the 210/220s, you could mess with its memory stick while its in the Aibo, wirelessly. Id love to see newer bots make use of SD cards, with optional use of apps and full Wifi/Bluetooth support. That would be swell, and the ERS-7 model of Aibos was very well on its way into that. Ahead of its time.

Of course, someone did make a custom app to work with ERS-7's. Here's a video of it:

Looks like it uses a custom personality though...so no Mind 1, 2 or 3.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I wish. You can format more memory and have a wide variety of personalities to explore. It would be even more expensive, but it would be fun to watch him evolve even beyond what currently his 16 mb can process.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Robot sumo is amazing and if there is ever a Hebocon near me I will immediately attend/participate.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Bringing this up since this is a very ultra rare aibo color from the ERS-210.

It was only exclusive in Japan, and is very hard to come by. People will do custom painting to mimic the blue sapphire like finish, but otherwise good luck in finding one. The most common place you might find one is in yahoo Japan for bid, but buyer beware.

It is the last ERS-210 before their production went to the next generation: ERS-220, which removed their iconic cat face to a more robotic/skynet AI pet with a head lamp. They have a complicated fixture that involves colorful lighting, though difficult to distinguish what mood, or command it is doing. They are known for their boost mode, which is their 'happy' moment that is pretty erratic and often spontaneous.

Their body parts can also be swap out with the ERS-210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom