• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Roy and Ryu Leak Confirmed

How do you feel about this?

• This is awesome! I'm glad Roy is DLC.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • This is great! I'm glad Ryu is being added as DLC.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • It's great to see them both joining Super Smash Bros.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Not really hyped for this.

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
**** me!!!! I was wrong awhile back!

So wrong. I'm sorry believers.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I can't wait to play as Ryu, but we don't need yet another Marth clone in the game...ugh.

But I probably won't be getting the DLC for awhile anyway, Splatoon is keeping my interest for quite some time, I've barely played any other games since it released.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
About my only concern with this is that Ryu might overshadow Mega Man yet again. Still, it's pretty awesome seeing them join the roster.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
YES! YES! YES!
IT'S REAL! IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!
ROY'S BACK! AND HE LOOKS GREAT! AND HE'S NOT JUST A MARTH CLONE ANYMORE! SO AWESOME!
RYU'S HERE! AND HE'S GOT A STREET FIGHTERY STAGE! NOW I CAN HAVE HIM AND MEGA MAN AND MAKE THEM FIGHT EACH OTHER WHICH IS AWESOME!
DREAMLAND 64... I never really felt strongly about it one way or the other, BUT IT COMES WITH ROY SO I DON'T CARE!
AND LUCAS COMES BACK TOMORROW! I KNOW THAT'S NOT PART OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT HERE BUT I LOVED LUCAS IN BRAWL SO THAT'S AWESOME!
NOW ALL I NEED IS WOLF AND MAYBE SNAKE TO RETURN AND THIS ROSTER WOULD BE PERFECT!
SO MUCH HYPE!

...so, uh, yeah. I like this. I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Sky

Inkling
NNID
skyzong
>another Marth clone

I'm really hyped for Ryu and Lucas though.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
Well, I'm happy for the people who wanted Roy and Ryu. Now they can go and enjoy the game more and be better off because of it.

I'll just stew in the sodium for a while. I wasn't a huge fan of Roy, but I wouldn't be too terribly upset if he had gotten in (would have preferred to see others get instead of a generic FE swordsman, or if they were going to put in an FE Swordsman, it was like Chrom who's game managed to save the series from oblivion), but I was actively opposed to Ryu's inclusion.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
While it's nice to see more DLC coming to Smash, it's not nice to see this getting leaked like it is (even if previous datamines already hinted towards them, anyway).

There's a special charm that hovers around Smash Bros. People love the franchise, and love seeing stuff added and announced. People were beyond excited to hear that Smash Bros. itself was getting a 20 minute presentation OUTSIDE E3 from SAKURAI himself.

Then this happens. People are excited for a while. Then it dies down. The presentation itself happens and a good chunk of people probably aren't even watching it now that the leaks happened, let alone be excited for it. Stuff like this is nice, but it also kills the hype that Smash is known for, and it's saddening. I know that I can't stop people who datamine, and it's literally impossible to avoid info like this unless you just aren't at a computer/phone, it's just disappointing to me.

But, uh, yeah. Ryu and Roy, everybody!

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Roy sounds god. He even uses most of the same animations from Melee, such as the original shield breaker animation, which I'm really excited for. Since he is a faster Marth with short range, I think I might playing him, especially since the tipper is in the middle rather than the end. I like characters from the previous games being re-added, but I'm mostly excited for Ryu. Is he going to play like Little Mac with a better recovery? Those button inputs though. Reminds me of playing Vindictus as Arisha for some reason. Since he has more moves than the rest of the cast, I'm assuming he can be more unpredictable, right?

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
I can't wait to play as Ryu, but we don't need yet another Marth clone in the game...ugh.

But I probably won't be getting the DLC for awhile anyway, Splatoon is keeping my interest for quite some time, I've barely played any other games since it released.
I'm thinking they varied him up a bit from his Melee incarnation, kinda like how they updated Mewtwo a bit. He looks slower than Marth, has shorter range, with variations of his sword swings (they all look rather close range swings, rather than the sweeping ones Marth does). Plus his smash moves look different.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Not sure this is the right thread for this, but it seems kinda relevant to the topic so...
Ryu looks like he has a lot of attacks. Like more than is possible. Is there something special about Ryu's moves? I read on TVTropes that he has different moves when he's close to an opponent (like he does in Street Fighter); is that what that is?
Also, I saw Ryu shoot a blue Hadouken and a red multi-hitting Hadouken, also I saw Tatsumaki Senpuukyakus that went different distances. How does that work? I didn't see any sort of additional charging, so I'm just kinda confused here.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Not sure this is the right thread for this, but it seems kinda relevant to the topic so...
Ryu looks like he has a lot of attacks. Like more than is possible. Is there something special about Ryu's moves? I read on TVTropes that he has different moves when he's close to an opponent (like he does in Street Fighter); is that what that is?
I'm pretty sure that you can input button combo from the actual game to do different attacks.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/
Also, I saw Ryu shoot a blue Hadouken and a red multi-hitting Hadouken, also I saw Tatsumaki Senpuukyakus that went different distances. How does that work? I didn't see any sort of additional charging, so I'm just kinda confused here.
Different button inputs for different Hadoukens, and I'm guessing he was pressing B faster with the Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku (I know Meta Knight's neutral special does this in Brawl) edit: the guide at the beginning says it was a different button input but later down it says that it's holding the button down longer.

Last edited:

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ah, cool, thanks Friendan.
Wait, you can do the Street Fighter quarter-circles to get better versions of Ryu's specials? I'M EVEN MORE SOLD THAN I WAS BEF-
Hang on a sec, how are you supposed to do a quarter-circle backward to do the stronger Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku? Wouldn't that just turn you around and do a souped-up Hadouken instead? And how do you do the powered-up Shoryuken, for that matter? I can't picture doing some sort of weird up-to-forward-down-downforward motion in Smash, so it's gotta be something else, right?

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Ah, cool, thanks Friendan.
Wait, you can do the Street Fighter quarter-circles to get better versions of Ryu's specials? I'M EVEN MORE SOLD THAN I WAS BEF-
Hang on a sec, how are you supposed to do a quarter-circle backward to do the stronger Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku? Wouldn't that just turn you around and do a souped-up Hadouken instead? And how do you do the powered-up Shoryuken, for that matter? I can't picture doing some sort of weird up-to-forward-down-downforward motion in Smash, so it's gotta be something else, right?
Once you crouch, you don't turn.

You can pivot your crouch, but yeah you won't turn during the crouch.

That could be part of it.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Well, the eShop is now a smoking crater thanks to their latest announcement.

Roy and Ryu are both out today with Lucas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom