• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Run Speed Up

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.
Do you use run speed up? If so for what weapons and how much of it? Are there some weapons you don't think it has aause on?

As an experiment I have been wearing gear with a run speed main plus two run speed subs playing A+, S and S+ solo queue with a variety of weapons including the splattershot pro, nzap, tentatek, rapid blaster, clash blaster, sploosh, 96 gal and H3. I did feel an improvement in combat and strafing speed and it seemed to help me win some 1v1s that otherwise might have been trades but its effects generally sendse pretty subtle.

Then today I decided to drop the run speed up and proceeded to win like 10 matches in a row and get a shiny weapon and I wondered if maybe I'd been wasting those slots on run speed. Or maybe that was incidental. I know they nerfed it in Splatoon 2.

If it is relevant my mains are probably the nzap, the rapid blaster (vanilla and deco), rapid blaster pro, forge SSP and the tentatek but I play a lot of different weapons so I use 'main' loosely.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Do you use run speed up? If so for what weapons and how much of it? Are there some weapons you don't think it has aause on?

As an experiment I have been wearing gear with a run speed main plus two run speed subs playing A+, S and S+ solo queue with a variety of weapons including the splattershot pro, nzap, tentatek, rapid blaster, clash blaster, sploosh, 96 gal and H3. I did feel an improvement in combat and strafing speed and it seemed to help me win some 1v1s that otherwise might have been trades but its effects generally sendse pretty subtle.

Then today I decided to drop the run speed up and proceeded to win like 10 matches in a row and get a shiny weapon and I wondered if maybe I'd been wasting those slots on run speed. Or maybe that was incidental. I know they nerfed it in Splatoon 2.

If it is relevant my mains are probably the nzap, the rapid blaster (vanilla and deco), rapid blaster pro, forge SSP and the tentatek but I play a lot of different weapons so I use 'main' loosely.
I use a pure of run speed on the Mini, just for the increased mobility, because in Splatoon 1 the Mini's mobility is what made it awesome, but Nintendo lowered it in Splatoon 2, so I use Run Speed to help it have more mobility.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Remember that weapons have an inherent Inkling movement speed while firing, and as far as I can tell, the game applies a multiplier to the base non-firing run speed to establish what it is. For example, you'll notice that you can't strafe very well while firing with a Splattershot Pro or a .96 Gal, but by contrast you can zip around with an N-Zap. Now recall that Run Speed abilities apply a similar multiplier. If you were to use a .96 Gal whose inherent run speed (firing) multiplier is, say, 0.5 for argument's sake, then add 10% because of your clothing perks, you're looking at 1.1 x 0.5 = 0.55. Yeah it's 10% faster than before, but the difference between 0.50 and 0.55 won't be that noticeable. Contrast this to an N-Zap, whose run speed multiplyer (firing) is 1.0, again just for example. A 10% increase in run speed for this weapon will bring it from 1.0 to 1.1, which is twice as noticeable as for the .96 Gal.

On top of this, you'll have to consider certain aspects of the weapon to determine if Run Speed is actually a worthwhile investment, and the weapon class that comes to mind is the Splatling series. While preparing your shots, you have to expose yourself and become veulnerable. Adding Run Speed does aid your mobility while charging and lets you retain a bit of evasiveness or help you reposition while being stormed by an opponent. It also lets you move in and out of a safe spot faster once your shot is ready. You could easily make this same argument with the Bamboozler and Squiffer, or vanilla Splat Charger if you're feeling more agressive and less campy.

Overall I'd argue that the weapons that benefit from run speed are: All Splatlings, Splash/Sploosh, N-Zap, Vanilla and Dapple Dualies, Clash Blaster, Jr., Splattershot, L3 Nozzlenose, Undercover Brella, Squiffer, Bamboozler, and Goo Tuber.

I would avoid it on the Splattershot Pro, .96 Gal, Rollers and Brushes, and OHKO Blasters (you'd want to bunny-hop in more situations than running). The shooters would benefit more from swim-strafing and sub-cancelling.

With any other weapon it's kind of up to your own personal preference; if you think you'll be in close range situations and benefit from some mobility while firing, give it a try and adjust your gear as necessary.

Last edited:

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Run speed is basicly a ‘must’ for splatlings expect the hydra.
N-zap and most duallies (Any speedy close-mid range weapon really) also get alot out of it, having succes with it personally too with the clash since it high fire rate and no rely on ‘bunny-hop’ and simliar technique’s.
But can’t say yet how usefull it is on that weapon yet.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Run Speed Up is especially useful on lighter weapons where mobility is a high point. This allows these weapons to paint a bit better due to faster movement while firing and makes strafing speed that much better to allow you to avoid enemy fire a little bit easier. Anything that makes your enemy have to re-aim is worth it in my opinion.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
In the few times I have played Regular battle, I like to bring an Aerospray and 3 mains of Run Speed Up, really awesome if you easily want over 1000 turf inked.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I've just been through a good training session with the H-3 Nozzlenose D and I wasn't having much trouble getting 1000 points of turf inked even with a set up that was mostly being put together on the fly! Run Speed helps, but otherwise it was mostly about Swim Speed and some Ink management. Granted, the Swim Speed helped plenty with that. But I am still surprised by how well the H-3 paints! I'll have to remember to take that sucker back onto the battlefield soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom