• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

S&F Low Power - Now with Prizes - Finished

scarth

Senior Squid

About

This tournament is designed to create an environment in which it is safe to use 'less powerful' weapons without being punished for it.
Weapons have been banned based on their abundance of use or potential to become a staple dominant force on any team playing in this tournament. The idea is to encourage variety and thinking differently rather than the safe space of 3 gals + Eliter.

Prize Pool
This tournament features a prize pool.
1st Place - $1 USD
2nd Place - "-fat" autograph
3rd Place - "-scarth" autograph
4th Place - "RWhiteGoose" autograph
Last Place - "-thryack" autograph

Banlist
This tournament features a list of prohibited weapons that may not be used at any time. If a team is caught using one of these weapons, they forfeit the game (not round) in which that weapon is used.
The banlist can be viewed at http://pastebin.com/xZAUrSEF or in the following spoiler, and is subject to change. If a large majority of the entrants are opposed to a particular weapon, it will be added to the banlist.
Tentatek Splattershot
Octoshot Replica
.52 Gal
.52 Gal Deco
.96 Gal
.96 Gal Deco
Luna Blaster
Neo Luna Blaster
Dynamo Roller
Gold Dynamo Roller
Krak-on Splat Roller
E-Liter 3K
E-Liter 3K Scope
Custom E-Liter 3K
Custom E-Liter 3K Scope
Kelp Splat Charger
Kelp Splatterscope
Custom Blaster
Custom Range Blaster
Custom Jet Squelcher
L-3 Nozzlenose D

Time/Date
27/28 December, 1pm EST start on both days. Check in will open 2 hours before the start of the tournament on the first day. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/est
This date is subject to change based on what the players want. I understand that this is right after Christmas, but has shown to be the date with the most available players.
Please vote on the following strawpoll for which day(s) you would like the event to take place.
http://strawpoll.me/6195591

Format
Last time, I ran a single elimination tournament. This was very clean cut and finished in about 4.5 hours, and everything was tidy. Obviously, this is unfortunate for a team that slips up once and gets knocked out for it.
Vote for single elimination or double elimination here. It is possible that a double elimination tournament will last 2 days, or a single, long day.
http://strawpoll.me/6195630

The bracket can be viewed here: http://challonge.com/sflp

Map Selection
http://pastebin.com/h34XKzuG
The following system will be used.
  • First 3 maps are randomly generated with TO tweaking but follow the pattern of SZ-TC-RM
  • If the set is not decided after the third game, the losing team gets to choose the gamemode and map for the fourth round
  • If the set is still not decided, the team that previously didn't get to choose gets to do so now
  • If one team isn't universally better than the other team, the set will not end before the 4th game
  • This means every team will get to play the preferred mode twice every set
  • For the Grand Finals and Bracket Reset, it will work in the same way. After the first 3 games, the losing team will select a map/mode combination, then the losing team after each game will take turns selecting a map/mode combination
Sub Rules
Each team is allowed to sub 1 player between each game. If a player disconnects, they are allowed to sub 2, as per the disconnection rules below.

Communication
Communication will be done via Discord before the tournament and on the day.
https://discord.gg/0fAmYNQFcREgcfTV

Disconnection
If a player disconnects, each team is allowed one remake per round. Evidence must be provided.
In the event of a remake, teams are expected to have the same choice of weapons, but these are not locked to the players.
For example, X, the Eliter, disconnects and is replaced by Y. Z is better with chargers than Y, so Z takes over the Eliter role, and Y uses the weapon that Z was previously using.

Hosting
The 'lower' team on the Challonge bracket may choose who hosts.

Registration
Registration will be handled through the following Google form: http://goo.gl/forms/VCQzd2ZQwX
You can view the currently registered teams here: https://goo.gl/3AlHsC
If you need something on your roster changed, please PM me here, on Discord, or post here with what team you represent and what changes you would like made.

Special thanks to TSB, MCU, fat and Katsuie for support and format work.

Last edited:

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Who are your most available players? The day after Christmas is when people are coming back from traveling to see family as far as I'm concerned. Unless I'm the only one with a family the date should be moved.

scarth

Senior Squid
http://strawpoll.me/6177317/r
I put this strawpoll in the discord server (see OP) 2 days ago
Obv im not sure who voted on it. If the 26th doesn't suit you, vote on the strawpoll, would like to accommodate as many people as possible

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Surprised the carbon wasn't banned. Though it's not as common as the krakon, I think it sees more play than even the dynamos.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Based Scarth once again hosting another good tournament.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Neo Luna banned but not regular? Memories won both Inkstorms with a Luna player regardless of sub/special.

scarth

Senior Squid
Neo Luna banned but not regular? Memories won both Inkstorms with a Luna player regardless of sub/special.
The vanilla Luna is interesting. I agree it's a strong weapon but it has serious limitations of it's own. I don't know of any western player (Sendou?) who uses the vanilla luna well enough to make it so that he can single handedly dominate any match.
Something I neglected to mention is that if there's enough complaints about a particular weapon I'm happy to ban it, but this needs to represent the opinion of the vast majority of people participating. It's off the list for now, but if there's enough concern then I'll add it.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
The vanilla Luna is interesting. I agree it's a strong weapon but it has serious limitations of it's own. I don't know of any western player (Sendou?) who uses the vanilla luna well enough to make it so that he can single handedly dominate any match.
Something I neglected to mention is that if there's enough complaints about a particular weapon I'm happy to ban it, but this needs to represent the opinion of the vast majority of people participating. It's off the list for now, but if there's enough concern then I'll add it.
So why ban Gold Dynamo?

2dos

Inkling
Speaking of vanilla Luna, are there any other weapons you consider borderline being banned out of curiosity? I think I could make a case for vanilla Carbon and Heavy Splattling Deco, but not sure where others stand on them.

I have no issues with any of the weapons being on the list that are currently there.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
..You're joking, right?
Gold Dynamo has massive issues with resource management. Inkstrike is a waste of a special and you lose out on the ability to instantly refill your tank. Splat Bomb takes up too much ink and only allows you to flick once.

Luna Blaster has a good sub for tower, meh everywhere else. Inkzooka is a top tier special. It does not suffer the same downfalls as running Gold Dynamo. Seeing as you didn't respond with an explanation I'm assuming bans are done by what you don't like.

scarth

Senior Squid
Of course not. The gold dynamo is banned for the same reasons that the silver one is banned, because it's a oneshot weapon with a stupidly large range that can gaurentee you kills without effort, and long range, indirect fire zone coverage. I didn't even take the subs into consideration when banning them, though I recognize that the silver is stronger than the gold because it charges Echo very quickly. I also think you're underrating the Inkmine and Inkstrike.

You can apply the same argument made to banning the luna to banning the Dynamo, when talking about Memory's Dynamo player. Like I said, if people want the vanilla Luna banned, you can let me know.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
Is the regular splattershot banned? [its not on the list, but the "better" ones are.]

Bangerz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
benshever
L-3 Nozzlenose D is banned but ****ing carbon roller isn't...?

Bangerz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
benshever
No

If enough people think it's strong enough to walk over every team then it'll make it on.
L-3 Nozzlenose D is a really good weapon, don't get me wrong. But "top tier"? lol no team is gonna run 4 nozzles. Everyone basically shuns semi-automatic weapons and it takes practice to get good with it

Filo ITA

Full Squid
NNID
FiloSNK
Tentatek Splattershot
Octoshot Replica
.52 Gal
.52 Gal Deco
.96 Gal
.96 Gal Deco
Neo Luna Blaster
Dynamo Roller
Gold Dynamo Roller
Krak-on Splat Roller
E-Liter 3K
E-Liter 3K Scope
Custom E-Liter 3K
Custom E-Liter 3K Scope
Kelp Splat Charger
Kelp Splatterscope
Custom Blaster
Custom Range Blaster
Custom Jet Squelcher
L-3 Nozzlenose D

that list is... weird

regular 96 gal has a weak set, yeah the weapon is good but echo is a mid tier special and the sprinkler is good only in SZ and for inking turf quickly
the regular luna has one of the best specials on the game, the inkzooka. Sure the ink mine is bad but is not that the splat bomb on the neo one is much better. Yet, neo is here and vanilla is missing
gold dynamo roller is garbage compared to regular one, not that the regular is that great to begin with but I know it's not a widespread opinion (and honestly I don't care)
krakon splat roller is good but ridiculously weak against some of the other weapons on that list. the nerf it received is huge
carbon should be here, burst bombs: probably best sub. Inkzooka: probably second best special (first is bubbler). Yeah the range is poor but it has burst bombs to balance that, is fast and can charge special quick
hero charger replica and splat charger should be here, amazing weapon and amazing special
the jr is very popular in S+ thanks to the fast ttk and bubbler. It can charge the bubbler pretty quickly too. not on the list
forge splattershot pro, underused but extremely good: it has range, quick ttk and inkzooka. Not on the list
regular splattershot: bad special but everything else is amazing
not sure about the presence of the l-3 nozzlenose D either given how difficult is that thing to use. I suppose it's good on the right hands but never really see it in ranked

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom