• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 S+ rank is a joke now! It's watered down with so many bad players.

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
What's happened to S+ rank recently? I see so many talentless players in every mode and every lobby. I mean I see players who run on their own ink like they're the greenest noobs. I see players going off on their own personal turf war in almost every lobby. It wan't like this only a couple of months ago. Now it's like B ranks in the quality of players there... why!?

AC1

Inkster Jr.
You could have a situation where the quality of a B rank lobby is equal to S+ rank lobby. For each rank match, the lobby attempt to balance both teams, resulting in a situation where a relative good player carry a relative bad player.

If the lobby did not attempt to balance both teams, you should notice the quality of lobby difference between B rank lobby and S+ rank lobby. Eventually, each rank lobby should have a caliber of players with similar skill level.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
What's happened to S+ rank recently? I see so many talentless players in every mode and every lobby. I mean I see players who run on their own ink like they're the greenest noobs. I see players going off on their own personal turf war in almost every lobby. It wan't like this only a couple of months ago. Now it's like B ranks in the quality of players there... why!?
I doubt that this is rank wide. Maybe you just saw a few matches with some lucky people who got a good team

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
You could have a situation where the quality of a B rank lobby is equal to S+ rank lobby. For each rank match, the lobby attempt to balance both teams, resulting in a situation where a relative good player carry a relative bad player.

If the lobby did not attempt to balance both teams, you should notice the quality of lobby difference between B rank lobby and S+ rank lobby. Eventually, each rank lobby should have a caliber of players with similar skill level.
This really bugs me. It means that the whole system is determined by "who can carry a crappy player the best". The system should balance by pulling players who are close to a high power standard. And cut off somewhere so you don't get a 1600 player added to level off a 2100 player.

Jon914

Pro Squid
So... I've had an opportunity to play in 4 different letter ranks over the past month.

First, was B lobbies in the 1800s, then A lobbies in the 1900s, then S lobbies in the 1800s (it never gave anything higher?), and now S+ lobbies in the 1900s and 2000s.

An 1800 B lobby is nothing like an 1800 A lobby or an 1800 S lobby. The people in a strong lobby play significantly better relative to their rank because these are mostly smurfs / veterans, but the player caliber is closer to one letter rank up.

Kisy

Inkling
NNID
Kisywisy
Hey Jon

I’m on my alt just now and getting 1800-1900 lobbies in TC B rank. I can get 1800 lobbies in my main s+ TC and I think most of the players are alts, with a few ‘real’ B ranks thrown in. I’ve been in a 2000 lobby with one of my alts!! And that will be max A rank

AC1

Inkster Jr.
I have encounter a A rank match (rainmaker) with a power level of 1360. My typical A rank matches (rainmaker) have a power level of 1450 (over 14 A rank matches).

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
What if Nintendo made it so your rank was determined by your power?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Why is this thread a thing when Rank X has already been announced and only a month away? Only the top 1% will ever get into X, meaning the best of players will have the level of competition they need

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I know the furstration mate. I know how it is when you're thrown in a team with 3 S+0s against 2 S+50s, a S+43 and a S+32 and you see your teammates mindlessly barge in, get splatted, respawn, barge in, get splatted and you think to yourself "HOW? WHY?". But fear not!

Because as Sifu said, Rank X is coming. I really hope lobbies with such skill disparity will no longer be a thing then. Everyone competent enough to hit S+10 in all this mess will move up to X. And newer competent players will have it easier to live through S+ because with all very competent players naturally moving into X, they should have an easier time mowing their way through S+.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Yeah that is a serious problem...competitive players being matched with casuals.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Eugh, i did recently rank up to S+, and i feel so out of league there to be honest, i play almost 50 - 25% of what the others are playing there according to their skill, so yeah i feel worried that whenever i join an S+ lobby i drag my own team down SIGNIFICANTLY.
I wish i could rank down without interfering with other peoples rank, so i can keep playing in lobbies suitable to my rank and skill.
Of course, suitable rank and skill is questionable as there are randomly skilled players in every Rank there is now...

The skill gap between S and S+ is like... wow!
And... i do feel like it's too easy to rank up also...

AC1

Inkster Jr.
I have encounter a A rank match (splat zones) with a power level of 1320.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I think the lowest power level I ever played in was 1180 way back near launch when I was still learning the game. Highest I've been in is 2200 and it was a bunch of JP players who crushed us in SZ. Personally I think it's kind of ridiculous that you can play in S+ with a power level of 1700 because I believe that is the lowest possible. I hope they make it so that in X if you lose with a power level lower than 2000 you get booted. Like you play and if your power level drops below a certain level (say 2000) then you have like a certain number of losses before you get kicked out (like 1 or 2). It wouldn't be TOO much of a punishment to lose your X rank b/c you just go back to S+9 rather S+5 or something. I can see hopping between S+ and X being a thing much like S and S+ in S1.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Back at the very start when I was still learning, I was put into sub-1000 matches in the C's. They exist.

I haven't seen any 1700 level S+ matches, but they aren't too rare. As the player base grows, the spread of skills will increase.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Back at the very start when I was still learning, I was put into sub-1000 matches in the C's. They exist.

I haven't seen any 1700 level S+ matches, but they aren't too rare. As the player base grows, the spread of skills will increase.

Where are these charts from and how recent are they? They seem quite accurate knowing most S+ matches are 1800's...

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
im prob gonna quit playing. this is ridiculous as hell to try and play a charger when the ranks are so uneven / kids will take advantage of anything they can get. this game needs solo .

Jon914

Pro Squid
Where are these charts from and how recent are they? They seem quite accurate knowing most S+ matches are 1800's...
They were aggregated by a Japanese blogger from stats.ink. The data is from October 2017, but it lines up with what I've personally seen.

When I posted it to a Discord server, there was pretty strong agreement that there were 2 distinct humps in S+ like pictured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom