• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

S- Rank

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Is there going to be a possible lower rank of s, so if you DO so happen to lose the rank, you will have an extra chance to stay is s! I hope that is something that they add, and when you DO, get into s or s+, the rank wont decrease.

Wothur

Full Squid
NNID
Wothur
The whole point of an "S" rank, is that S is really good. The idea of a "S-" is entirely redundant.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
The whole point of an "S" rank, is that S is really good. The idea of a "S-" is entirely redundant.
That said, there's a bit of a problem...
See the skill difference between A+ and S is ridiculous, to the point where several players (myself included) are stuck in a limbo where A+ matches are usually easy as pie, and S matches are tough as nails.
I've personally reached S rank over 7 times, but could never keep it longer than a week.
Since this limbo's pretty hard for me to get out of, I've kinda just said "Stuff it, I'll never reach S for real."

That's not exactly the kind of thing I want to have happen with Splatoon 2 just around the corner, and with no real way to train with proper skill levels, (keep in mind that I have no squad) as opposed to slight varying ones online, I've kinda just given up.

For reference, see here: http://www.evanmiller.org/splatoons-ranking-system-is-still-broken.html

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
That said, there's a bit of a problem...
See the skill difference between A+ and S is ridiculous, to the point where several players (myself included) are stuck in a limbo where A+ matches are usually easy as pie, and S matches are tough as nails.
I've personally reached S rank over 7 times, but could never keep it longer than a week.
Since this limbo's pretty hard for me to get out of, I've kinda just said "Stuff it, I'll never reach S for real."

That's not exactly the kind of thing I want to have happen with Splatoon 2 just around the corner, and with no real way to train with proper skill levels, (keep in mind that I have no squad) as opposed to slight varying ones online, I've kinda just given up.

For reference, see here: http://www.evanmiller.org/splatoons-ranking-system-is-still-broken.html
I think the problem is that not enough people are playing the game anymore, so it is hard to get a decent pool of players, so there is less and less middle ground of sorts in the ranks. Everyone has pretty much settled where they are supposed to be, so at this point, it is either get good or bust.

Kodidro

Full Squid
Content Team
The difference between A+ and S rank isn't drastic. It's literally difference of one rank - you're thinking of the rankings wrong if you think S is a massively different league. A+ is a player who plays enough to have a solid concept of the game, mechanics, and teamwork. S players simply put said concepts into practice more consistently.

S+ is RIDICULOUS to get to and hold ranking in, and for good reason. Getting into S rank is essentially no different than getting from A to A+, you're just fighting more experienced players more frequently which forces you to get better or you can't rank up.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I read an article stating that due to upward bias in the raking system, roughly 45% of players wind up in S, but because that's when the first real downward bias appears, only around 3% end up in S+. 15% of players were estimated to fall into A+.

The live numbers are probably more evened out, but this is pretty crazy to think about. The skill disparity between someone who is S rank and A+ is pretty big, the skill disparity between S and S+ is just about *cosmic*. Further still the skill disparity between S+30 and S+99 is similar to that of A+ - S.

I know it's often suggested tht there be an S-, but I've read they don't want to do that as Japanese culture consider S grade quality to be something special and don't want to dimish that perspective by attaching a "-" to "S" grade.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Hopefully they make the rank more of a slider in Splat 2. I certainly went through A+/S hell - the A+ matches were easy but S was kicking my butt. C- to A+ was a slow steady crawl but A+ to S was nonstop flipflop. A slider or some similar fluid system could prevent these difficultly spikes.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The biggest problem is that in both S and S+, victories and losses only give out half as many points than in the previous ranks. So in a way, S and S+ are several ranks rolled in once, because you now have the players who are struggling in S, people who stay in mid S and the players who are struggling in S+ and keep deranking. You generally don't have this problem in A+ or lower.

NNID
ac1dac3
The main problem with the rank system imo is that the point gain/loss is pretty much even from B until S mid/high S, it results in everything between B-A+ being only a slight increase in difficulty and then S being so much harder because there's this huge disparity between the low S and high S players because S 70 is a lot more difficult S 30 to maintain. They should honestly start introducing more loss than gain in points lower down (A- seems like the most reasonable place to start if anywhere just to make the new letter the first place where it happens, just make it something like +10/-11 and make it a little harder as you go up, S rank should probably start at something like +5/-6 instead of starting out even as well), making A rank physically harder than B rank instead of just hoping players in A are better despite the fact that they don't actually have to win more than B ranks would to move up would help keep a more consistent skill differential between the ranks and indirectly raise the skill cieling of S, making it less of a mess for both lower and higher players in the rank.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
S is a mess.

i don't like this "no dropping ranks" thing (might as well just have some kind of non-ranked way to play ranked modes), but another rank above squad players would be a nice way to not screw over decent S players

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
A+ to S is definitely the biggest skill gap in the game. It's either that or S to S+.

The problem is that there's no conditioning going from ranks C- to B+. Most of the time C players can barely even play the game and end up losing to awful players who don't know much about the game. I get it. It's C rank. They shouldn't be tested too much. But the B ranks are the same thing. There's not much adversity. It isn't until about A rank where you might see a skill gap. A and A+ is where a lot of people start getting stuck at (especially new players), who find it frustrating that the game got harder. And it's not unreasonable to see why. A player could probably get from C- to B in about a couple hours. Meanwhile, once they enter A rank, they're distraught because they're not immediately steamrolling a rank.

So the problem (in my opinion), is that the lower ranks aren't punishing bad play enough, and allow people to easily skip over what would be potential lessons to combat the skill gap. So, I think that B should be a bit more punishing this time around, or maybe make all of the ranks have a similar point gain/lose system like S rank. Where you only gain a couple points for winning and losing.

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I think that more ranks in Splatoon 2 would be a good idea. currently, the rank system in splatoon has 11 ranks, in 4 groups. An S- rank wouldn't hurt ranked mode at all. Maybe they could even add in D ranks instead of an S- rank . . .

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I would love to level up more so Maybe starting from D- or something would be nice!!! ;w;

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Speaking of which, I GOT IN S+ RANK!!! (again) also... I tried to play in ranked that same day... and I dropped from 30... to 14, so... I think I will take a break from ranked,... at least until the splatoon2 game DOES release, because I want to show off. :)

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
i'll never get better! (sob, cry!) I am already down to 6... (waAAAAhhhhhhhhhh!!!) :(

Maave

Inkling Commander
Speaking of which, I GOT IN S+ RANK!!! (again) also... I tried to play in ranked that same day... and I dropped from 30... to 14, so... I think I will take a break from ranked,... at least until the splatoon2 game DOES release, because I want to show off. :)
haha. I don't last very long in S+ either. Try to learn as much as you can while you're there. I assume that I'll lose most matches in S+ so I don't get salty when I do lose. I'm just trying to absorb as much information as possible while I'm there, like the enemy charger locations/tactics, which paths are vulnerable to enemies, etc. Then I integrate that into my S play to rank up faster and try not to get too complacent while I'm in S.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
ok,... I'm not a s+ anymore... (I blame the servers!!!)

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
It does seem that an S- Rank might help to gradually adjust to the S Ranks overall; I mean I just think that the jump from A+ to S is such a drastic change and there needs to be a more gradual easement into such a rank since it seems to just get overly competitive from there on out, but that's just imo. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm just not as good as others. I dunno.

@ReeSquidGig , I feel for you; I blame the servers for my poor match ups today, too (but that's another topic in and of itself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom