• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Salmon Run Open Permanently?

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Seriously. I paid for this game and I work 12 hour shifts and miss out on Salmon Run every time. Bump this is you think Salmon Run (Grizzco) should stay open 24/7. At least give us that much. I could understand maybe doing timed events for things that enhance a game mode like extra points happy hour or whatever, but do not just entirely lock it all away. This is a very upsetting decision made by Nintendo. If this isn't changed, I'll have to reconsider ever buying Splatoon again after this. If I known this before hand, I wouldn't have bought it. Unlock these time restrictions. Some of us are very busy in our lives and we want to relax. The other timed events don't actually take away from the game it seems, only Grizzco-the only PvE aspect of the game besides single player is.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Because video games have never had timed events before now. Unless you work every single day, you'll be able to get your Salmon Run fix, considering the rotations last anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. There's five other game modes at that! AND it's available any time if you play with someone locally! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!?

Salmon Run offers some pretty big rewards, but more importantly it'd get repetitive if it were available all the time. I can see why they did it the way they did. I see this is your first post. Allow me to welcome you to Squidboards and simultaneously inform you that your outrage will accomplish absolutely nothing. If you're this irked, sell your copy and get some of your money back, that would be more productive than the display you're putting on here.

...And on a final note, there is NOTHING relaxing about Salmon Run, haaaah.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Don't confuse outrage with my level of care. I only want to see Splatoon improve and be better because I do like everything else about it. Grizzco being available 24/7 is not a result that leads to repetition, for example; I have Mario Kart 24/7 and that's not repetitive simply because I choose not to make it so. Speak for yourself if you think Salmon Run isn't relaxing. That's fine. I have the right to voice an opinion that I believe will improve the game for some people without hurting others like crying for a nerf etc. I am merely suggesting that Salmon Run should be available all the time because it's such a unique game mode and a lot of us miss out too much. Timed events such as double experience or double cash would be fine, but to straight up remove content from the game entirely as a timed event is upsetting. I only wanted to suggest improvements to the game. Why should anyone else defend timed events? I just don't see the logic. It's severely ruining the experience for the people who have offset times. Grizzco should instead have timed events (since it's so desired) that involve bonuses. Not just an entire removal of this PvE experience. I already bought the game and don't plan on returning it for just one thing wrong. Just because someone voices a suggestive improvement does not constitute an immediate turn-around-and-sell-the-game mentality. It will however change my outlook on future releases if things are left ignored by the community. I'm only one voice. I stated what I believe will improve the game for many and I'm not the only one who thinks so. How many posts are there of people complaining that say Mario Kart online is NOT a timed event? None, because everyone is happy it's available all the time. No one forces you to play something that's available. Salmon Run needs to be open all the time in my opinion.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
So far, it's been open for periods up to 24 hours long, and you have a whole month to earn the unique gear. We'll have to see what the schedule ends up settling to after the initial rush period.

Chum87

Inkling
I was kinda disappointed when I saw it wasn't open atm also. But ultimately there are plenty of chances I guess.

Madd-D

Inkling
NNID
Madd-D
Don't confuse outrage with my level of care. I only want to see Splatoon improve and be better because I do like everything else about it. Grizzco being available 24/7 is not a result that leads to repetition, for example; I have Mario Kart 24/7 and that's not repetitive simply because I choose not to make it so. Speak for yourself if you think Salmon Run isn't relaxing. That's fine. I have the right to voice an opinion that I believe will improve the game for some people without hurting others like crying for a nerf etc. I am merely suggesting that Salmon Run should be available all the time because it's such a unique game mode and a lot of us miss out too much. Timed events such as double experience or double cash would be fine, but to straight up remove content from the game entirely as a timed event is upsetting. I only wanted to suggest improvements to the game. Why should anyone else defend timed events? I just don't see the logic. It's severely ruining the experience for the people who have offset times. Grizzco should instead have timed events (since it's so desired) that involve bonuses. Not just an entire removal of this PvE experience. I already bought the game and don't plan on returning it for just one thing wrong. Just because someone voices a suggestive improvement does not constitute an immediate turn-around-and-sell-the-game mentality. It will however change my outlook on future releases if things are left ignored by the community. I'm only one voice. I stated what I believe will improve the game for many and I'm not the only one who thinks so. How many posts are there of people complaining that say Mario Kart online is NOT a timed event? None, because everyone is happy it's available all the time. No one forces you to play something that's available. Salmon Run needs to be open all the time in my opinion.
This is so well said I have to personally applaud you for it. I was so disappointed when they announced timed events for Salmon Run. It's another one of the reasons I don't own the game yet.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Because video games have never had timed events before now. Unless you work every single day, you'll be able to get your Salmon Run fix, considering the rotations last anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. There's five other game modes at that! AND it's available any time if you play with someone locally! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!?

Salmon Run offers some pretty big rewards, but more importantly it'd get repetitive if it were available all the time. I can see why they did it the way they did. I see this is your first post. Allow me to welcome you to Squidboards and simultaneously inform you that your outrage will accomplish absolutely nothing. If you're this irked, sell your copy and get some of your money back, that would be more productive than the display you're putting on here.

...And on a final note, there is NOTHING relaxing about Salmon Run, haaaah.
classic dessgeega post :^)

Kabel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kabelly
I personally do think it's misleading to the uninformed. Especially since they even have a reversible cover selling the mode only for new players to find out they cannot access the mode.

The least I was expecting when it was announced was private online Salmon Run with friends but friends options are severely limited and I understand all the complaints I've seen from newcomers coming into the game.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Thanks for the support everyone. I'd also like to add something about said lore of Grizzco. It's a company, I get that. The company I work for in real life IS NEVER shut down. It's called 3 shifts and weekends. We want jobs. We want Grizzco 24/7

I ultimately don't understand any logic behind supporting the time restraints. You're literally only diminishing the experience for others who have less time and not even helping your own needs. Imagine if the precious online multiplayer mode was taken away for a day on purpose at frequent times. PvE deserves just as much love as PvP. Destiny 2 already failed PvE for me. Where's the PvE love?

Last edited by a moderator:

SlyBlue

Inkling
I agree we need this mode available 24/7. Right now it's new and it's all I want to play but it's always either the map I don't prefer (Marooner's Bay) or the times don't work well. It's also kind of a pain to schedule around when I'm determined to play because the times are all over the place and not a set schedule. I can put up with it for sure but it's just not ideal.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You're comparing Mario Kart, a racing game with no overarching progression beyond gathering coins which can be done in any mode, to Salmon Run, a PVE mode that offers large rewards only for the other modes. Mario Kart also has more than two maps. You talk of timed events bonuses like double experience and double cash... That is EXACTLY what you can get from Salmon Run as it is, along with exclusive gear, large quantities of money, and manipulation of the ability system. All that's taken out for the offline version, which is why that's freely available, but if they removed or nerfed the Salmon Run rewards we'd get people complaining about THAT instead. I was annoyed when I learned that it wasn't 24/7 as well, but now that I've seen what they hand out, I can see Nintendo's logic even if I don't entirely agree with it.

I agree with Kabel that they could have done a better job explaining all this to prospective buyers, but I don't agree with any of your points, and the fact stands that you DID sign up for this community explicitly to grumble about this, hence my "outrage" assumption.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Eh, it'd be better to leave it open the whole time and have super bonus events scheduled instead.
I don't think I've seen anyone bring up a good point as to why it shouldn't be like that.
This is more a personal example, but I wouldn't really feel much reason to play without any sort of bonuses to push towards. It's a bit like an actual job for me, as odd as it is. Sure, I enjoy it, but it feels kinda arbitrary without the rewards.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is more a personal example, but I wouldn't really feel much reason to play without any sort of bonuses to push towards. It's a bit like an actual job for me, as odd as it is. Sure, I enjoy it, but it feels kinda arbitrary without the rewards.
Thank you for illustrating my point. If there were limited or no rewards but constant availability players would ditch the mode after they got what they wanted, as MANY other online games can attest to. On the other hand, the current implementation with big rewards on a schedule irks people who can't always make it. Can't let players get too overpowered from farming something daily (people do this all day if allowed), and yet the carrot is needed to get many people in the door to begin with. Nintendo was going to get complaints no matter how they handled this.

speedySonic

Full Squid
I believe the reason Salmon Run isn't 24/7 is to keep people playing. Remember Splatoon 1's long wait times in lobbies? With a set time for Salmon Run being available, people will rush to play it, as opposed to ignoring it because it's available all the time. That's my theory, at least.

Also, you've clearly only started playing Salmon Run if you think it's relaxing, lol.

Smarty1two

Senior Squid
NNID
Smarty1two
I believe the reason Salmon Run isn't 24/7 is to keep people playing. Remember Splatoon 1's long wait times in lobbies? With a set time for Salmon Run being available, people will rush to play it, as opposed to ignoring it because it's available all the time. That's my theory, at least.

Also, you've clearly only started playing Salmon Run if you think it's relaxing, lol.
it's a bit hard to play the mode if it's not available and yes I know that by restricting something people will be more prone to participate but if the mode isn't available then people objectively can't play as much.
Thank you for illustrating my point. If there were limited or no rewards but constant availability players would ditch the mode after they got what they wanted, as MANY other online games can attest to. On the other hand, the current implementation with big rewards on a schedule irks people who can't always make it. Can't let players get too overpowered from farming something daily (people do this all day if allowed), and yet the carrot is needed to get many people in the door to begin with. Nintendo was going to get complaints no matter how they handled this.
if people are only playing these modes for the rewards then they will get burned out. I play because the mode is fun and engaging, the bonus is merely a small incentive to play.

Maave

Inkling Commander

Yeah pretty sure it's this, to decrease queue times. Splatoon's method of putting everyone in the same map and reducing the number of modes available is to ensure there are players available. Even in a game as popular as Overwatch I'll get multi-minute queues, and old FPS games sometimes have a couple lobbies of various levels with only 1-2 people in them. Having the mode only available at certain times will entice people to get on and play at those times vs thinning the available player pool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom