• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

SCL 6: When Squids Attack: Results and Feedback

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword

Congratulations to Team Nintendome for winning the sixth SCL Biweekly: When Squids Attack!

Shoutouts to our other top teams this tournament: Koopa Clan 1, for grabbing up second place, and Cyberbullies and Offshore, for making it to the semifinals!

Full results in the spoiler. Link to bracket Here
1st Place: Team Nintendome
2nd Place: Koopa Clan 1
3rd place tie: Offshore and Cyberbullies
5th place tie:
Part Time Warriors
Get Kraken
LOS FALCON PUNCH
Wabi Sabi
9th place tie:
Koopa Clan 2
Elbow Drops And Peanut Pops
GreenTeam
Panda Global SND
Cocos Graines
Blooper Ink
Ink Incorporated
in The ink
17th place tie:
Blackbelly Bouncers
Alliance Rainbow Fire
Ìnglorious ßelemnites
Killer Wails
The Skwid Systrs (Alias)
InkBound

I will take this opportunity to say the following
SCL's Bi-weekly series is taking the thanksgiving Holiday's off
The next tournament will happen a month from this one, rather than two weeks. Signups will open after the date the tournament would have been held

The reason for this is everyone in the team has prior obligations that need to be fulfilled during thanksgiving, such as meeting up with family, and trying to run a tournament during that time would be impossible

As usual, this is also a feedback thread. I will go over the topics we especially want to discuss in a followup post below. Leave any and all feedback you want to here about any of those topics or anything else you liked or took issue with. Post about it, PM me with it, message me on discord about it, or however you want to communicate.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Alright guys, I have two topics I especially want to bring up. I also want to take a moment to formally apologize to Alias, because I misseeded their team. It was a complete accident.

Alright, so first things first, we tested out improvements to our D/C rule this time around. The new rule reads as follows:
>If a team has at least one person drop in the course of the match, then that team must stop playing immediately and call for a replay. The same setup and player list must be used for the replay, except in the case where a person cannot reconnect for whatever reason, then that person may be swapped out. Matches can only be replayed in this manner once by each team, so any D/Cs in matches after that one must be played out. If the match ends very quickly afterwards so that it is very clear it wouldn't have made a difference in the results, then this rule cannot be invoked. If a team continues to play after a D/C it will be presumed they did not intend to call for a replay.

Also, if a large amount of people randomly D/C from both teams, both teams must stop playing and a replay will be played. This replay does not count as either team's replay
My reasoning for this new rule is to streamline the old one while making sure things keep moving and without giving too much good faith to teams. I also mandated proper procedure as a means to combat abuse of the rule. What do you think of this rule? Do you like it more or less than the last one? HOw can it be improved?

Next thing is that SCL had a commentary stream going on throughout the tournament. I will be the first to say I am not overlooking such things and I didn't personally tune in to their stream almost at all. I did hear they were having audio issues however, which they promise to fix. Other than those audio issues, what do you think they could improve? Was their stream quality good enough? Did the commentators keep you interested? Did you have any particular other issues with the stream? And, if you liked it, what did you like about it?

Please let us know your thoughts on these issues, or any other issues you have on your mind so that we can bring you a better tournament experience a month from now (since we are taking the next *slot* off)

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
My issue isn't that Museum d'Alfonsino was included, it's that for round 2, it was the deciding game 5 map in the set. Some of my team, and myself specifically only played the map once or twice prior to the tournament. This made things kind of lopsided for a final match that shouldn't have been so lopsided (the prior matches were all back and forth, intense matches). Anyways, perhaps consider map selection a bit more carefully. Great tourney as always and it was nice to have the community stream.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
My issue isn't that Museum d'Alfonsino was included, it's that for round 2, it was the deciding game 5 map in the set. Some of my team, and myself specifically only played the map once or twice prior to the tournament. This made things kind of lopsided for a final match that shouldn't have been so lopsided (the prior matches were all back and forth, intense matches). Anyways, perhaps consider map selection a bit more carefully. Great tourney as always and it was nice to have the community stream.
Thanks for the feedback. we just really wanted to run it because it was *new*, but when mahi mahi comes out when we run that if it's still relatively new when we have the next tourney, I'll definitely try not to make it the 'hinge match'. Really running the new map was a large part for viewers so they could see the new stuff, so I don't want it to mess with competition as a hinge map or run it too much.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
My issue isn't that Museum d'Alfonsino was included.
I couldn't agree anymore. Let along BB4 decided to include the map as well only 24 hours after the map's release. Anytime a new map comes out there needs to be some kind of "1 week cool down" before we can start using it in tournaments. My team and the chance to spend about 30mins to practice it before BB4 started and lucked out on beating some great teams on the new map.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
That was all my fault guys. I'm sorry about that. I'll give it more thought in the future

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Personally really enjoyed the community stream and commentary, I would definitely like to commentate if the opportunity arises that I'm not actually playing or our team has a bye for a set. (Past experience casting for StarCraft 2)

I felt despite the difficulties the commentary was great, just that I had to crank up the volume to hear any of it :o.

As always, SCL continues to be my favorite tournament series and I look forward to future events. Shout-out to ND for not making us look bad and winning the tournament. I honestly felt across the board that the quality of every set felt very high.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Personally really enjoyed the community stream and commentary, I would definitely like to commentate if the opportunity arises that I'm not actually playing or our team has a bye for a set. (Past experience casting for StarCraft 2)

I felt despite the difficulties the commentary was great, just that I had to crank up the volume to hear any of it :scared:.

As always, SCL continues to be my favorite tournament series and I look forward to future events. Shout-out to ND for not making us look bad and winning the tournament. I honestly felt across the board that the quality of every set felt very high.
Yeah there were a lot of really close games (though I wasn't watching them, but I got that vibe).

if you wanna commentate sometime, ask one of the team about it. As I mentioned I'm not really in charge of them, but I'm sure they'd love to have you on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom