• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

SCL Holiday Special: Grandma got Run Over by a Roller - Results and Feedback

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks

Congratulations to NSTC for winning the SCL Holiday Special: Grandma got Run Over by a Roller!

Full results in the spoiler. Link to bracket Here

1st Place: NSTC
2nd Place: The Squid Box
3rd place: N2STC
4th place: Cyberbullies
5th place tie:
On The Blink
CoolDown
ASS1
Team Infinity Splatoon
9th place tie:
SquidsNextDoor
Part Time Warriors
Alias
Killer Wails
New Perspective
SquidRunsLive
PinkFlood
Crème Fresh
17th place tie:
SpeedRunsLive
Los Falcon Punch
The Squid Bench
Get Kraken
Dynamite Splatoon
Team_Mastery
Panda Global Warming
JFG
Empire
Grand Nation
Los falcon punch 2
Fresh Squids 2
New_Order
The Hightide Era
the visionaries
Fresh Squids 1
33rd place tie:
SquidKids
Hokusai Squad
KillerWails_Beta
InkIncorporated
BnT
ra
Duke66
splatters603
SquidKids_Deco
S3_luke
Miyoko80
Super Thirsty Dads

Keep an eye out for the thread for our next tournament, which should be up tomorrow

As usual, this is also a feedback thread. I will go over the topics we especially want to discuss in a followup post below. Leave any and all feedback you want to here about any of those topics or anything else you liked or took issue with. Post about it, PM me with it, message me on discord about it, or however you want to communicate.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Loving this "only one Rainmaker match per round" thing. Glad to see the community still isn't biased towards certain modes

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Congrats to the teams that did well.

Although, a couple things. The seeding was really weird, like for one thing why was New Order seeded so low? And many adjustments had to be made before the tournament to the seedings. Which didn't take long, but still it's... eh. I know you guys said that you didn't spend a lot of time working on seeding, but either the seeding should be looked into more or this should be a double elim tournament. Ideally both. I know double elim takes a long time, but it's just overall a lot more enjoyable and I'd say most of us here are trying to have fun, I hope. Maybe consider going two days?

Not using this as an excuse for why my team got knocked out early btw. I have high respect for Team Infinity and they did a really good job in the tournament. Really nice to see them grow as a team.

Aside from that, the anti-rainmaker bias is getting a bit... much. Please reconsider on how it's represented.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I would like to personally apologize for the tournament taking so long, especially to @PKfuzzy , who was late to work. We had a large hold-up in round 2 when one team accused another of being excessively laggy to the point where it was unplayable. Because they said they had video evidence, we decided to wait until we saw that before we took any action. Unfortunately, that took much longer than expected (45 minutes :oops:). Once we reviewed the footage we determined that the match should be played out, and we did our best to make sure the rest of that part of the bracket ran quickly. Unfortunately, the damage was done and the tournament ran late. We are currently discussing how to handle similar situations in the future and how to speed up future tournaments in general, and would love to hear anything that you guys can come up with as well. This tournament was not up to the standards of quality that we have set for ourselves, and once again I would like to sincerely apologize.

We also had some troubles with seeding this time around. I cut too many corners and didn't spend enough time making sure that my seeding was up to par, so again I'd like to apologize.

We also had some complaints about our 1 rainmaker per set policy. This is the first time we've had complaints about it and in the past we've actually gotten positive feedback about it. We'll now be looking into whether or not to change this policy, and we would like your opinions on it to better inform our decision.

Edit: jeez you guys are fast. Gimme a minute to respond

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
We also had some complaints about our 1 rainmaker per set policy. This is the first time we've had complaints about it and in the past we've actually gotten positive feedback about it. We'll now be looking into whether or not to change this policy, and we would like your opinions on it to better inform our decision
I just want Rainmaker to be treated fairly in tournaments. It's a real shame that most tournaments will only keep it to one round because of a bunch of people who try to claim that it's impossible to play competitively. Like having 1 round of RM is fine as long as it stays within the first 3 matches, that way at least all 3 modes get played in a Bo3. I hope in the future you guys look into having more Rainmaker rep because it would make me really happy.

Sabby23

Inkling
NNID
Sabby23
I completely agree with the feedback about giving rainmaker a more even representation in the tournaments. I'm not saying it needs to be 2 games in every set, but maybe switch off each round which mode only has 1 game in a set. Another part I would add onto that is to never have a situation like what happened in round 3 and I think 5 no matter what mode it is that only has 1 game. What I mean is having a modes only game be in a spot where it can be totally skipped if 1 team sweeps the other. Something like making sure there is always 1 of each mode in the first 3 games of a bo5 would be good, and then game 4 and 5 switch off each round which mode doesn't get a 2nd game. Other than the issue I had with gamemodes, the only other thing I would mention is to maybe put a bit more time into seedings, but that has already been mentioned before as well. Overall I had a lot of fun with it even though we only got 2 sets(I prefer double elim but understand the time issue).

Topher

Inkling
NNID
Tophermonn
Good job on the tournament to all.

I'll keep my feedback brief:
-Seeding was kind of strange as i'm sure most are aware. More thought put into seeding could lead to some more fun matchups and tournament memories.
-Rainmaker representation is still not where it should be.
-In sets I think it would be fair for the first three games to go SZ, TC, RM so that each mode is played at least once in a set.
-Maybe consider the counter pick option from S&F Low Power? Idk i thought that was interesting a fun.
-Double Elimination :D

Other than that I had fun and ggs to all the teams I played. Main takeaway from my feedback is that it's really time for Rainmaker to be treated fairly and all modes should have equal representation.

Last edited:

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I just want Rainmaker to be treated fairly in tournaments. It's a real shame that most tournaments will only keep it to one round because of a bunch of people who try to claim that it's impossible to play competitively. Like having 1 round of RM is fine as long as it stays within the first 3 matches, that way at least all 3 modes get played in a Bo3. I hope in the future you guys look into having more Rainmaker rep because it would make me really happy.
You make a good point, as did others in Discord. At first we ran 2-2-1 SZ TC RM simply because at the time RM was a lot less popular and enjoyed a lot less. Since that isn't the case anymore, I agree RM should see just as much prevalence as the other modes. Expect the next map/mode list to give more attention to RM to bring it in line with the others.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
So, in regards to Single Elim/Double Elim.

Single elim sucks. I know that.

But we don't feel that we can run double elimination and keep the tournament at an acceptable amount of time, especially with the amount of teams that are now in it. In the past, we ran a double elimination tournament with only 16 teams, and it still went incredibly over time. We are talking about the possibility of doing more double elimination tournaments in the future though, so don't give up hope

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
We had a large hold-up in round 2 when one team accused another of being excessively laggy to the point where it was unplayable. Because they said they had video evidence, we decided to wait until we saw that before we took any action. Unfortunately, that took much longer than expected (45 minutes :oops:). Once we reviewed the footage we determined that the match should be played out, and we did our best to make sure the rest of that part of the bracket ran quickly.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
That was not the video we were shown. The video we saw had what we considered to be an acceptable amount of lag, and we certainly we're not going to be waiting any longer to make a decison. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but I stand by my decision

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
That was not the video we were shown. The video we saw had what we considered to be an acceptable amount of lag, and we certainly we're not going to be waiting any longer to make a decison. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but I stand by my decision

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
I'm not on the team that held up the tournament, but if you could share the video they gave you, I'd be interested to see how their experiences compared to ours.
Lag is a regrettably natural part of any international event, but I myself don't think that what this team was exhibiting should have been considered within an "acceptable threshold". Their pings were from anywhere between 200-1500 ms at times, and with 4 or 5 players constantly at that level, I do not think they should be allowed to participate in an international event.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
This is the video we were shown:

As you can see, there is some lag, but in my opinion it is about as much lag as can be expected in a cross-atlantic match, and not enough to warrant a Dq

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
Yea we need more RM in these tournaments. Even split of SZ/TC/RM in the future, thank you. Otherwise pretty solid tournament except for Round 2 taking forever (and I do understand why so of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom