1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Tournament [Sep 24, 2016] Oceanbound (Online)

Discussion in 'Event & Tournament Listings' started by gelatobeach, Aug 23, 2016.

Oceanbound
Posted By gelatobeach

Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 01:00 PM
(ends Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 05:00 PM)
Timezone: America/New_York

Keywords

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. gelatobeach

gelatobeach Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    kawaiiswag
    [​IMG]

OCEANBOUND

Saturday, September 24th, 2016, at 1 PM EDT / 10 AM PDT / 7 PM CEST
    _____________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

CURRENT # OF SIGN-UPS: 32 / 32
    Waitlist: 6

Registration Ends: Friday, September 23rd, 2016, at 10:00 PM EDT

INFORMATION
    Oceanbound is a Groups -> Single Elimination tournament hosted by me, Pinna. I will personally be taking every participant to the beach for this event, and giving out some ice cream, because I am generous and thoughtful like that. (Not really).
    The tournament itself has a pretty standard format, but some of the rules are a bit different. Don't worry, it's nothing wild or anything. What are these differences, you ask?

The main difference is that it brings back the ability to pick the map / mode combination that you + your opponents will be playing on! This was a pretty common way of how map lists were done previously. There were a multitude of issues that came with it however, and only a few tournaments in the past have done it. You don't really see it around too much these days, if ever.

Oceanbound brings this back, with intentions of doing it successfully and smoothly.

(It's worth noting that most of the tournament will have maps picked out in a Halo-style - the ability to pick maps is a wonderful advantage that only those who make it to the Quarterfinals will get to experience).

Other somewhat note-worthy differences are the increased internet connection limit requirements, and the limiting of speedtests / replays. But overall, pretty standard. For more information on all these things mentioned here, the rules document has all your answers. And if it doesn't, you're free to ask in the Discord server.

REGISTRATION PROCESS
    Team Captains may use the registration form linked above to sign up for this event. Then, the team captains must join the Discord server, where ALL of the communication for the tournament will be taking place.

Looking at the registration form is pretty self explanatory, but, team captains must provide the following information to register:
    - Team Name
    - Team Captain IGN
    - Team Captain Discord Name (including the #0000 numbers)
    - Team Captain NNID
    - Player IGNs (In-game Names)
    - Player NNIDs
    - Streams, if any (not mandatory)
    That's.... pretty much all there is to it!

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
    Oceanbound's format, as mentioned above, is Groups -> Single Elimination Bracket.

32 teams will split up into 8 groups of 4. In these groups, there will be 3 rounds. Teams will play against the other teams in their group in a best-of-3 (BO3) match. The first team to win 2 games will be the winner of that match. The top 2 teams in each group will advance to the next stage of the tournament.

Once the group stage is complete, there will be a 10-15 minute break for the tournament organizers to make a single elimination bracket. When the break is over, the second stage (single elimination bracket) will begin. In this bracket, there will be 4 rounds: Round 1, Quarterfinals, Semi-Finals, and Grand Finals. Round 1 will be a best-of-3 (BO3), Quarters and Semis will be a best-of-5 (BO5), and Finals will be a best-of-7 (BO7).

Strict time limits will be applied in this tournament. Taking potential delays into account, BO3 rounds will be limited to 20-25 minutes, BO5 rounds will be limited to 30-35 minutes, and the finals will be limited to 50-55 minutes.
    An outline of how things are expected to go, in hours / minutes, is as follows:

Group Stage: Including the 10-15 minute break, this stage is estimated to take approximately 1:25 - 1:30 hours.
    Round 1 / Quarterfinals / Semifinals: 1:35 - 1:40 hours.
    Grand Finals: 0:50 - 1:00 hours.

Total Estimated Time: Approximately 4-5 hours.

TOURNAMENT STREAM
    So uh, as you maybe? heard, this tournament series already has a Twitch channel that will be used for rebroadcasting and commentating matches that will take place during the tournament. There is a chance it may not actually happen, but its like, 70% for sure going to be happening. I think.
    I will not be in charge of this, but I have entrusted a few... trustworthy individuals to take care of that for me. (Don't be fooled by my suspicious choice of words, they're great people).

The Twitch account it will be streamed on is here: http://twitch.tv/oceanbound.

I... think I talked about everything that I needed to? Not sure, but if there's anything that wasn't clear, feel free to ask me here. Or on Twitter. Or on Discord. Or wherever you can find me, really. I'm everywhere.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to see you all there!

MLG Jake, CC~DC and Squidimitri like this.
  2. MLG Jake

MLG Jake Inkling

NNID:
    GladiatorX
    hey it's me jake

gelatobeach and Squidimitri like this.
  3. gelatobeach

gelatobeach Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    kawaiiswag
    hi jake

4. Sorapol