• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Sepia Go! A Chinese Splatoon-ripoff

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Well I guess we can add this to the ever growing list of Chinese rip-off products. Let’s see, there’s:

Rip-Off Real Brand

Wu Mart Walmart

Crust toothpaste Crest toothpaste

BuckStarr Coffee Starbucks Coffee

Pizza Huh Pizza Hut

oMC McDnoald’s McDonald’s

PolyStation PlayStation

HiPhone IPhone
And the list goes on and on forever. My personal favorite is “Unbelievable This is Not Butter“ which is a rip-off of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”. Really the only way the new Splatoon rip-off could have been better is if was only playable on the “WiWi”, which is the rip-off of the “Wii”. Anyway, for those of you who would like some pictures to go with the above mentioned rip-off brands:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/top-15-absolutely-hilarious-chinese-knock-offs/

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Ewwwwww! Not surprising, but that looks so lame in comparison, and they weren't even trying to make it look different. Bootleggers are getting lazy. I saw that Overwatch was also just converted into a bootleg mobile game in China.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
The inklings at the spawn looked half creepy and half dazed, that was pretty unsettling. And that roller looked almost 2-D...

What was even the motive behind naming it "Sepia Go"? That's not really relevant to the game at all.

The one good thing about this ("good" meaning "not a cheap knockoff", since it's clearly taken from a great source) was that the level from the tutorial was a map, I always thought it looked cool. (but even that's not their own creation) I personally would like it if inklings were shown with their gear above like this one has, too, since it'd be easier to keep track of who you should watch out for, but that can still be done now, and whether or not giving out more info about the other team is a good thing is up for debate.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Other than it looking like an alpha or early PS1/Sega Saturn era game, the results of their theft comes off as really lazy, to me. Feels as if they weren't even trying or didn't care in their efforts; it was something that had to be done.

Well I guess we can add this to the ever growing list of Chinese rip-off products. Let’s see, there’s:

Rip-Off Real Brand

Wu Mart Walmart

Crust toothpaste Crest toothpaste

BuckStarr Coffee Starbucks Coffee

Pizza Huh Pizza Hut

oMC McDnoald’s McDonald’s

PolyStation PlayStation

HiPhone IPhone
And the list goes on and on forever. My personal favorite is “Unbelievable This is Not Butter“ which is a rip-off of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”. Really the only way the new Splatoon rip-off could have been better is if was only playable on the “WiWi”, which is the rip-off of the “Wii”. Anyway, for those of you who would like some pictures to go with the above mentioned rip-off brands:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/top-15-absolutely-hilarious-chinese-knock-offs/
Kinda like the "Pizza Huh" one. "So this is pizza... huh." "So you guys actually serve pizza, huh?"

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I'm actually a little curious if Nintendo can take legal action against this one. Most bootlegs from China change at least a few things to prevent a copyright lawsuit but this one doesn't seem like it changed very much. Other than the title of course. :P I'm not sure if it'll actually get much attention from Nintendo but I am curious if they could actually do anything about it since it seems directly taken from the game without any changes.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
What was even the motive behind naming it "Sepia Go"? That's not really relevant to the game at all.
Sepia (as in the filter and stuff) used to be made with squid ink or something like that, so that might've been a reason

I actually would want to try it, but it's a ripoff so...

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I don't think China actually cares about copyright. Like, what governing body will force them to pay damages?

You just hit the nail on the head bro. Still, this actually really bugs me (my earlier post was just meant to be fun). Splatoon is a work of creative genius, and I really love this game. Now some folks come along and just totally rip it off and that’s OK? Who knows how many hours went in to making the real deal, and now some copycats come along and will probably make money off of this? SMH… So to answer your question “no one”, but I really wish the Chinese government authority would start putting this stuff down because it isn’t helping anyone but the rip-off artists. Sorry to get political on this board but I really don’t like this kind of stuff…

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
'Sepia' comes from the Latin name for the cuttlefish. 'Go' just makes it sound like an action-packed, exciting game. I actually really like the name they picked!
Sepia (as in the filter and stuff) used to be made with squid ink or something like that, so that might've been a reason
Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense! I was thinking of sepia as just one color, so it didn't make any sense to me. :rolleyes:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
(If you didn't like @Mr. 9 getting political, then no one's gonna like my thoughts on it.)

Anyway, according to ZhugeEX, the source on Twitter everyone got this from, a turn-based Smash Bros. rip-off is also launching tomorrow.

But, yeah, Sepia Go!'s animations/hitboxes are terrible from the video.

I'm a bit more concerned the player kept Super Jumping and their base never got inked, though.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That video's been taken down, so it would appear that Nintendo's fully aware of this. I'll take everyone's word that the game itself looked terrible though.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
While a mobile splatoon sounds pretty neat, I really would have preferred it if nintendo actually developed it. I didn't see the gameplay video but i'll trust you guys when you say it's garbage. Plus, they're clearly going to get in a ton of trouble with Nintendo since their video has already been noticed by them.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Allright so i got a bit curious why china has so many ripoffs coming from it, so i looked up online on some info about it:

So apparently the reason hackjobs like these exist in the first place isn't because of foreigners (like us), it's for the Chinese themselves. Why, you ask? China itself is very draconian when it comes to censorship, and eversince 2000-ish they passed a law that banned the sale of all consoles and games that aren't offically made in their own homecountry. So that means if you live in China you don't get your Nintendo consoles and you don't get your Splatoon... sort of! Nintendo in the past have made effort to make a joint venue with somebody already living in China, an entrepreneur under the name of Wei Yen to form the company IQue to bypass this particular law. Since then, IQue made several 'rip-offs' unique to China, such as the IQue DSi, basically all the handheld consoles that've been previously released over at all other countries across the globe under a different name. There's still no sight of an (semi-)official Wii release as of yet though, neither of the (IQue) Wii U. So that leaves the actual ripoff artists to pick up where other foreign companies can't reach.
This ban didn't kill off console gaming completely, instead it spearheaded the console gaming piracy scene over at China to the point that's a huge hurdle to get over even if foreign games would've been allowed once more.

Because of this law, PC and mobile gaming are far more popular than simple console gaming, because in terms of consoles you don't have much else to work with other than nabbing one off from the black/grey market. They officially promised to lift this ban around July 2015, but there's not much info floating around about how that one turned out...
I believe Hong Kong doesn't have this law in it, but i'm not too sure on that. Either way, if you live in China and somehow really want to play Squids Game, this is what you're gonna get. Sure it looks like **** compared to the real deal, but when you live in China you literally have nothing else!

Huh. This really does seem like it'd be a little more well known, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom