• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

September Splatfest: Retro vs Modern

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
As expected our latest Splatfest with the new rules is taking place next week. Retro vs Modern, for both the NoA and NoE regions.

Also..., notice that velvet rope? Well this Splatfest will be taking place behind the paid online curtain. Yet even if you signed up for Nintendo Switch Online when it goes live on the 18th, this Splatfest will be within your free 7-day trial period. (now along with wanting blasted cloud saves for this game, I also want an easier method of transferring my screenshots and clips! o(*≧д≦)o)

Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1040782254715412482

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Based on my friends list, Team Modern is waaaay more popular. I picked retro though. Without retro, modern wouldn’t exist. I’m a nostalgic person who’s still stuck in the 90’s. lol

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Welp, RIP me, forgot which account I'm on and now my main account is team retro... *headtable*

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Ew...I dunno how I feel about this Retro color now. And I'm not a fan of this Shifty Station. Could never get timing on jumping on the trampolines right.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
well team mondern is all i play and i'm team modern, just maxed out to king played my own team 70 percent of the time

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
What an unsatisfying splatfest. I was hyped for the changes, but I can't say I'm a fan. As stupid and illogical splatfest power might be, normal mode is kinda lacking without it. There's no real way to gauge the skill level of opponents and allies alike now, and no way of knowing which teams are completely random and which are coordinated quads. Somehow we have less information than we did before, and we didn't have much to begin with!

Not that pro mode is any better, since it's just solo rank with the most chaotic, easily tipped mode. Just like solo, you're always rolling the dice when it comes to your allies there. Not interested.

And of course the Shifty Station was awful but I have nothing to say there that others already haven't.

Finally... It was inordinately laggy. I witnessed a friend of mine fall through the bounce pad, and teleporting happened in nearly every match. It really was a noticable increase. Also, splatfests seem a little buggy, it crashed on me once and on a friend several times. We're paying for this now?

Egh, at least style bonuses let us wrap it up quickly. I'll just hope for some tweaks before the next splatfest.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
today in a few hours the splatfest will officially start in my country! :D but i have to ask..did it take long to get 8 players for a match? were there many disconnects? and was it less/more laggy? reason i ask is cause i heard so many saying they refuse to play online and the ones that did said it was kinda bad now and well..i do like playing splatoon 2 but if i have to wait a 15 to 30 minutes for a match to start..then it isn't much fun anymore x.x

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Matchmaking is still terrible and unless you or someone else quits, they give you the same teammates every time. I guess a cool thing is seeing your name scroll across the screen after a “battle” win. And I’m kinda on the fence about the shifty station. I love the bouncy pads.....but as a stage, it feels too disconnected to have a true battle against opponents. It’s just a personal preference, but I like stages that allows for close intense combat. Between this being during the time of paid service and a LAN event going on, I don’t think this splatfest will be as popular as previous ones.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
today in a few hours the splatfest will officially start in my country! :D but i have to ask..did it take long to get 8 players for a match? were there many disconnects? and was it less/more laggy? reason i ask is cause i heard so many saying they refuse to play online and the ones that did said it was kinda bad now and well..i do like playing splatoon 2 but if i have to wait a 15 to 30 minutes for a match to start..then it isn't much fun anymore x.x
I’m team Retro so the wait time wasn’t so bad. Didn’t have any mirror matches a single time. Saw a couple of DC’s and laggy players....but I just have to accept that paid service or not, those players will always exist.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
You know what? I think this is an amazing Splatfest! You could go normal and do a Pro battle (Which doesn't really make sense tbh), or you could get a few friends and do a Normal one. I've had decent matches, and I personally love the SS which by the way was created for the Squiffer. But what is Clout?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
i hope it goes well in team modern then too! ^-^'' once again Marina had the preference i preffered lol but i hope Marina's side wins this time since Marina seems to be at her breaking point o.o

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Matchmaking post-paywall is still the same as ever. Disconnects and lag has nothing to do with it either.

Keep in mind that in Splatoon 1 lobbies still fill up very quickly. That's a game that has stopped getting updates, that sold a lot less, released for a much less popular system. Knowing that, I don't understand why anyone was ever expecting matchmaking to suddenly take ages. Even if you'd halve the Splatoon 2 playerbase from one day to the next, there would be no problem.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Normal mode is a joke. I'm so done playing against 4 stacks of clans etc very likely using vc and me playing with randoms as usual. I just finished a game against a clan stack that was on a 17 game winstreak. Well, now they're on a 18 game winstreak. Why is there no soloqueue only mode for normal? Majority of casual players will be there anyway. I don't think they'll be having much fun.. as for me I guess I'm forced into moving the pro mode. I think it's great people do get to play with their friends but random vs premade is never a fair match, which is my issue.

Despite my salt, I wish good luck for both sides anyway. I am a huge nostalgia/old school fan but in the end, moving on and advancing in technology is very important to me so I'm on Modern :D

Last edited:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Jeez am I the only one who loves this new Splatfest format???

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
i honestly DESPISE these new ''fixed'' version..and it really doesn't motivate someone when all they see this team won 100x points for team Retro oh and another team and another and it just keeps going!..and i only see this about team Retro..yeah i am not amused with this -.- i don't want to know how good their doing cause then you already start with a ''oh my side will lose again so whatever'' behavior that way

KiwiS

Inkling
I'm pretty sure team modrn will win this time. Imo the splatfast just got bigger. If you play as a pro then its the same as it was,uf you play normal you can now team up with friends.I like it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom