• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Server Ban?

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I was forced to end a game of splat zones, and when I got back I got a warning that I might be banned from the server if it continues. I was just wondering how many more times this can happen before it bans me? Are the warnings excused after an amont of time, or do they stay on record forever? How long is the ban? Thanks!

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I get this on and off, its nothing to be too concerned. Just a mild annoyance.

Once you recive the ban, the game won't let you play online for 5 minutes. Mhm, just 5. So kill time in the plaza or in single player while you wait it out.

As far as I know, the warnings get excused if you only have a disconnect once or so within a period of time. It seems that only after so many disconnects in a row/close together, that the game drops the temporary ban hammer.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Also worth noting, the splatnet2 app keeps count of your disconnects. But since only you can see that, eh!

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
Thank you both so much!! I'm so happy it's only five minutes, though I have to wonder why they even bother with it then. But thanks!! <3

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
It might be to let those who deliberately D/C if they are losing forces them to play maybe?

Mr.HawK

The Artist
If you disconnect once it will warn you, if you disconnect again it will ban you for an hour. if you do it again after that period of time it will ban you for a day and so on and so forth.

It's meant to both punish rage quitters and to make sure you understand that playing an online multiplayer game with bad internet is something that is generally not recommended.

The thing i've managed to find out is that if you happen to DC from a match atleast once a day or so you generally only get warnings since nintendo does track how many times you've disconnected and how long you play the game.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
Indeed, disconnects can prove a problem for those with poor Internet. Though I worry for Splatoon players who are unable to afford better Internet.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
I've lost connection a lot and my internet is good overall. It's quite annoying sometimes :'3

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
If you disconnect once it will warn you, if you disconnect again it will ban you for an hour. if you do it again after that period of time it will ban you for a day and so on and so forth.

It's meant to both punish rage quitters and to make sure you understand that playing an online multiplayer game with bad internet is something that is generally not recommended.

The thing i've managed to find out is that if you happen to DC from a match atleast once a day or so you generally only get warnings since nintendo does track how many times you've disconnected and how long you play the game.
An hour? A day? Can you confirm this? All I've ever heard of is the 5 minute penalty.

wereyoshi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
wereyoshi
Switch Friend Code
SW-1149-3763-7213
So do you lose the match when you D/C?
it counts as a loss when you disconnect. Also if you have a meal active it will still deduct one from the count.

Last edited:

Mr.HawK

The Artist
An hour? A day? Can you confirm this? All I've ever heard of is the 5 minute penalty.
Friend of mine called up nintendo customer support about it because he got DC'ed then banned for no reason. He has good internet connection too

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
So is it 5 minutes or 1 hour for the first time? Anyone willing to test before they sleep or something (so your ban ends in the morning)?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
So is it 5 minutes or 1 hour for the first time? Anyone willing to test before they sleep or something (so your ban ends in the morning)?
Well, for me its been nothing but 5 minute bans...but maybe the game somehow determines if its poor connection at fault, or actual cutting of the net? Because I'm shocked to hear that a 1 hour and 1 day ban actually exists- even a bit worried since I have a good connection on some hours, and a shoddy one on others...

FYI, I only get a 5 minute ban once a day on average with the way my connection is. I think once I had it twice in a day....but I cant confirm that so much.

EDIT: And whenever I start getting connection error during a match...I'm usually left with one other frozen player, and have to wait close to a minute before the game finally times out and kicks me from the match. Does having this happen help the game determine what kind of ban I should have?

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Well, for me its been nothing but 5 minute bans...but maybe the game somehow determines if its poor connection at fault, or actual cutting of the net? Because I'm shocked to hear that a 1 hour and 1 day ban actually exists- even a bit worried since I have a good connection on some hours, and a shoddy one on others...

FYI, I only get a 5 minute ban once a day on average with the way my connection is. I think once I had it twice in a day....but I cant confirm that so much.

EDIT: And whenever I start getting connection error during a match...I'm usually left with one other frozen player, and have to wait close to a minute before the game finally times out and kicks me from the match. Does having this happen help the game determine what kind of ban I should have?
Good info. Yeah mine freezes for a good minute before it kicks me out too (sometimes). Not sure why.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I found a video of what I was talking about...

Happens after almost every 'Connection is unstable' error. Splatoon 1 would just kick me right off the bat after such a message happened. It's a bit odd. And of course, Temp bans come into play even when this happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom