• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Shovel Knight. Tell me about it.

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
I'm considering getting Shovel Knight, it looks like a pretty sweet game with a nostalgic feel. I'm uncertain if it's just something that has been over-hyped, or if it's any good, and I was hoping you wonderful squids could tell me?

Also wondering if I should get it on my WiiU or 3DS, if there's any benefit to either.

Thank you :)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
It's a great game!

It's a platformer, but a difficult one, so it might take a bit to beat some of the tougher levels (Polar Knight is pain, just a heads up; also the Tower of Fate levels made me very happy there wasn't a lives system, prepare to die a lot there), but you have infinite lives so you'll get through 'em eventually. I dunno if it has a nostalgic feel (I only played the Marios, the GB Kirby's Dream Lands and Zelda II back then), but it has a very fun feel, and I like that.
I dunno about the hype, but if you've heard it's great, then you've heard correctly.

Also there's another campaign with a different story and character with a very different playstyle coming out soon, which has me excited!

I got the 3DS version, which is portable, has some 3D stuff (apparently; I never really noticed) and has a Streetpass thing I never used.
The WiiU version has a multiplayer mode and probably other things, but I didn't get that one so I dunno.

Also they're releasing a physical version in October for both of those (at least I think it's both of those). Not sure that impacts your decision, but I might as well mention it.

Overall though, it's a great game and you should play it!

One piece of advice though: You can break checkpoints by attacking them. Doing this gives you money, but makes the checkpoint stop being a checkpoint. Good for the extra challenge, but not something I'd recommend for a first playthrough. Just letting you know.

Agadez

Octobrush Crackerjack
If you like Classic Megaman, Ducktales (and the Remastered game) and/or classic Castlevania. Then this game is for you. (But mostly for Megaman.)

It is one of THE best side-scroller platformers out there. I'd say grab the Wii U verison, yacht club games team really made an neat use of the WII U gamepad to switch in-between subweapons and items. I'm not sure of the 3DS verison though (Haven't looked up anything on that one).

Jake Kaufman has made an excellent chip-tune soundtrack (if you're into that genre) for this game. You might be familiar with his work such as Mighty Switch Force, Double Dragon Neon, Shantae's Risky Revenge to name a few.

There is also a New Game + which is recommended for the players that want that difficult nostalgia feel NES games had. :P Loaded with in-game achievements (Bragging rights derp) and passwords that'll either change the game-play drastically or change the dialogue to something...sillier. X:

Not only the free update expansion "Plague of Shadows" but the devs did mention it is one of many free update expansions coming soon. (cough or if you look at the kickstarter page, many of the stretch goals were reached, to play as other bosses in the main campaign and 4 player battle mode.)

But seriously dood, If you're a fan of any of the games I mentioned above, give Shovel Knight a shot.

PS: Shovel Bouncing on enemies is fun too :V

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I adore shovel knight, I have played the game so many times, my one warning is that the game is kinda short which is definately something to consider. However what the game lacks in content it makes up for with some of the best game design and passion which makes it more than worth the purchase. Kinda sounds like splatoon...

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Definitely hasn't been overhyped. It's not my absolute favourite game but I have no problem saying that this game is flawless. The controls, the game feel, the level design, the character design, the music, the world, everything is top-notch. If you enjoy a challenging platformer then you will enjoy this game no question.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Game is amazing, one of the best single player games I've ever played. It draws elements that made certain games amazing, combines it, and creates a masterpiece. I have it on computer so I can't really tell you anything about the Wii U/3DS versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom