• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Slosher vs. Slosher Deco.

Ekats2

Inkling
NNID
Ekats2
The name's pretty obvious. Strengths and weaknesses of both weapons, techniques for both, and which one is better overall to use.

OCTOBRUSH...

Inkling
NNID
spiritomb8008
It depends if you want to go for a offensive or defensive/support role...

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Exactly, it depends. And what about the soda version? All three version are possible depending what you want. If you're talking about ranked, you can change the version based on the rotation. If you're talking about competitive, then you need to think about your mates.

For instance, if your mates are sniper, heavy and luna, you'll probably be better with the wall/kraken version, while if you're playing with a .52, an octo and a luna, it might be interesting to pick the burst to weaken everyone from a far and play support.

The soda is quite good with a fast-build zooka too, depending on the map.

Now if you really want to play only one version no matter what for some reason... In ranked I believe the kraken will be the easiest pick, in competitive just talk about it with your mates. And in both cases, trying three versions on several maps will help to choose the one you prefer anyway.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
The Vanilla Slosher is the best close range killer of the group, being able to burst cancel and have decent coverage to boot. Inkstrike is an "okay" special, it's nothing extremely valuable. Good teammates would definitely be something like a .52 gal (for the wall/wail getting enemies out in the open), or a custom range blaster to help weaken enemies or help defend while you try to burst cancel.

The Slosher Deco is the defensive set. Rocking the legendary Wall/Kraken combo that made the .96 gal deco feared, the slosher deco does more of the same. However, with your main weapon, you get better coverage and better accuracy than a .96 deco, but the potential Time to Kill is a bit slower on the slosher deco, than it was on the .96 deco. The best part about this set is, you don't need too much damage up, as you two shot even full defense up builds, something the .96 also doesn't have. Potential teammates: Carbon Roller (having someone who can flank while you have the slosher deco in the middle is heavenly, as they'll be distracted by you while the carbon assassinates) or possibly a custom hydra who can provide loads of coverage, attack from long range, overall someone who can help your defensive game.

The Soda Slosher is a balanced version of the three, having a splat bomb for close range opponents and packing an inkzooka to deter chargers from messing with you. This set is somewhat independent, as it's the jack of all trades slosher, but some good teammates would be the regular dynamo, providing coverage and echolocator to help you kill with inkzooka, or possibly a zink mini to help you kill with disruptors and bubbler to pass around.

Hope this helped :)

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Can they all be good? Yes. Which one of them is worth using in a competitive setting? OG slosher.

Vanilla is the only one that isn't an inferior version of other weapons. There is very little reason to use slosher deco over CRB or another, better, wall weapon. And there are plenty of better weapons with inkzooka than soda slosher, even light depletion. OG slosher is a fairly unique mid range slaying weapon, and it especially excels at turf coverage and splat zones. Slosher by default has a very long kill time, and will have a tough time dueling other weapons without losing/trading. Vanilla fixes this by having the ability to reduce it's kill time to not only a more reasonable, but actually quite fast kill time with burst cancels, and you don't need much damage up to meet the breakpoint where an indirect bomb that connects at all plus a single slosh will kill someone.

As someone who regularly uses sloshers in tournaments, the vanilla is the only one that justifies it's spot on a roster over other weapons.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Vanilla is the only one that isn't an inferior version of other weapons. There is very little reason to use slosher deco over CRB or another, better, wall weapon. And there are plenty of better weapons with inkzooka than soda slosher, even light depletion
Slosher by default has a very long kill time, and will have a tough time dueling other weapons without losing/trading. Vanilla fixes this by having the ability to reduce it's kill time to not only a more reasonable, but actually quite fast kill time with burst cancels,
A Question, if I may ask it.

What is the reason why I wouldn't pick up the Grim Range Blaster to the Vanilla Slosher? They both burst cancel well, but the Grim can 1 shot enemies at close range, whereas a slosher might have difficulty picking up the kill due to the damage distribution. Meanwhile, Killer Wail is a much better special all around than the inkstrike. Sure, it gives the slosher some coverage options and whatnot, but I'd rather have a Wail any day over an inkstrike.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
A Question, if I may ask it.

What is the reason why I wouldn't pick up the Grim Range Blaster to the Vanilla Slosher? They both burst cancel well, but the Grim can 1 shot enemies at close range, whereas a slosher might have difficulty picking up the kill due to the damage distribution. Meanwhile, Killer Wail is a much better special all around than the inkstrike. Sure, it gives the slosher some coverage options and whatnot, but I'd rather have a Wail any day over an inkstrike.
Grim vs Vanilla Slosher is somewhat similar to Marth vs Lucina in Smash Bros. Grim is better at a farther range but much worse close up. Vanilla Slosh tends to do better at close range than Grim but Grim does better at farther range since you need less aim for the burst cancel than the Slosher. Grim also feels slower than the Slosher since its shots are really laggy. You always space your shots for Grim unlike the Slosher making the Slosher better at close quarter combat. It's pretty difficult to 1 shot at close range with a Grim and missing can cause you death because of how much lag you have after you shoot with it. The Slosher being more mobile can be a better flanker than the Grim and have an easier time escaping.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Slosher Deco > Slosher because Deco variant is a pre 2.7.0 96 Deco w/ a little less range, 100% accuracy, and light depletion kraken. This means it can run Special Saver and lose almost none of its kraken (just like CRB can), thus the weapon does not have to care about dying unlike the Slosher does. Yes, you can run Special Saver on Slosher, but that with Inkstrike honestly isn't ****. People are honestly overhung up on it because it can Burst cancel, but honestly, who cares. Also Slosher Deco's kit is so much better at pushing objective, just like how CRB and 96 Gal Deco are great at pushing objective.

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Slosher Deco > Slosher because Deco variant is a pre 2.7.0 96 Deco w/ a little less range, 100% accuracy, and light depletion kraken. This means it can run Special Saver and lose almost none of its kraken (just like CRB can), thus the weapon does not have to care about dying unlike the Slosher does. Yes, you can run Special Saver on Slosher, but that with Inkstrike honestly isn't ****. People are honestly overhung up on it because it can Burst cancel, but honestly, who cares. Also Slosher Deco's kit is so much better at pushing objective, just like how CRB and 96 Gal Deco are great at pushing objective.
Who cares? This is competitive discussion, so presumably the people who care are the ones taking the game seriously at a competitive level. Normal slosher has a lot of really good maps that it is top tier on, urchin zones for instance. And the burst cancel is precisely why the normal slosher is the best one, it has the most favorable sub for reducing it's kill time, something deco and soda can't do, which means they are locked in to requiring 2 sloshes to kill someone, which means that people can panic kraken/bubble between the sloshes and you will lose the kill, that doesn't generally happen with a burst cancel. Deco has no way to extend it's range past slosher ranges as well, which is very limiting. Soda actually has some usefulness because it's kit is quite good, but it's let down by the weapon.

Looking at the weapons and kits in a vacuum is not how you compare the efficacy of weapons. At the very least, try and put some more effort into your justification. Saying that one is better than the other without any real explanation other than it has the same kit as 96 deco with light depletion isn't a compelling argument.

I use Slosher competitively in tournaments all the time, and in the instances I am using it, a slosher deco would definitely not be a superior option.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Looking at the weapons and kits in a vacuum is not how you compare the efficacy of weapons. At the very least, try and put some more effort into your justification. Saying that one is better than the other without any real explanation other than it has the same kit as 96 deco with light depletion isn't a compelling argument.
Was I doing that? Sorry. I don't do this stuff that often... I posted this at dinner two nights ago when I was bored lol

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
the vanilla slosher is probably the best slosher to use for sz. not just because it has inkstrike, but it also paints fairly well and can get picks very easily with the bomb combos you can use with it, since sz is often a game mode where picks in quick succession are very key instead of a kill streak. this is also why splatterscopes and e-liters (and the grim range in place of those two weapons on maps like urchin, blackbelly, or flounder) are very strong in sz.

the soda slosher is a more aggressive snowballing weapon, while the slosher deco is a more defensive snowballing weapon. i would prefer using the slosher deco on certain maps where both walls and falling shots are powerful (arowana comes to mind) due to the fact that slosher deco can hold an area more effectively in those gamemodes. the pick between soda and slosher deco on the other competitive game modes depends if you'd like zooka or kraken for pushing. certain maps favour certain picks and team composition should always be considered.

in regards to whether sloshers are viable to be used over other weapons, it all depends on what you want to use on a team. sloshers in general provide a lot of burst damage per hit, while being perfectly accurate even when jumping and having a fairly large hitbox. this makes it so the preferred method of aiming is by flicking the controller (similar to a charger, roller, or blaster). sloshers also lay down a respectable amount of ink and can, of course, abuse height differences much more effectively than falloff shots from a shooter. getting hit with one slosh hurts a lot (70 damage) and can easily weaken enemies for your teammates to kill or for your teammates to clean up. in a 1v1, the best course of action with a slosher is to outrange the threat (if they have a tentatek's range tier or less, you can outrange them with proper spacing) or to stay mobile. either way, this will require you to swim in between sloshes instead of standing in one place and walking like one might do with a tentatek. once again, sloshers have stupid hitboxes so flicks are not that hard to do in close quarters, and since you do an insane amount of damage it doesn't matter if they heal a tiny bit in between sloshes because you do a large amount of burst damage anyways. oftentimes, the sheer amount of burst damage is why i choose the slosher over other weapons.

(by the way, the soda slosher can also bomb combo with no subs of damage. the strong hit of a slosher to a splat bomb indirect hit is exactly 100 damage. this is another result of the insane damage sloshers do per slosh).

Setu

The slosher deco is most definitely used the most out of all 3. The soda and deco have debatably better kits but the vanilla has better kill potential (disregarding specials) due to the combo of bomb and slosh. The slosher deco is most used simply because walls and kraken is an incredibly bulky kit and has light depletion. The soda slosher is surprisingly not used as much despite having a tentatek-esque kit and light depletion (ttek has medium depletion). As phlox above said, you can combo any bomb dmg into a single shot from the soda. I don't have much experience with the vanilla but I think of it being very similar to the grim range blaster in the way that it's a very lethal combo to burst ->shot and happens almost instantly, however the inkrike is hardly useful, even in splat zones (yes, because it in no way contributes to picks and is easily covered after use, although it sometimes allows for entrance in situations). Overall the slosher as a main weapon is very underrated/underused despite the kill potential and amazing kits that come with it. I think of the slosher deco as just a better version of 96 deco because it's not too much of a range difference, has 100% accuracy, and has light depletion as compared to heavy on the 96 deco.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Didn't come here for a while, and didn't read everything, but just wanted to say some things...

1. Inkstrike should not be seen as better in SZ just because it "kinda turfs". I personnally like to use it in TC, especially on some maps. That being said, the inkstrike of the slosher is good in splatzone for most maps, because you're able to either cap one zone with your strike, the other with the slosher, or one half of the only zone with your strike, the other half with your slosher. Basically you can put the penalty by yourself. The inkstrike also is stronger in competitive than in ranked, but well, that's the same for every special.

2. I feel every slosher can be used depending on the maps honestly. About stuff: I often used a lot of damage for the vanilla, because the weak burst can kill easier and it allows more combo with my mates; a respawn kraken-based build for the deco; I'm not that experimented with the soda yet, but I would consider a bit of damage, because base damage for the slosher is 70, and base splat bomb is 30, so it would be interesting to buff it against defense users.

3. If some readers are curious, I used every slosher (though I was pretty bad with the soda) in the french cup tournament (final part) in December. You can find the playlist on my YouTube channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom