• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So... About Splatoon

randomdude

Inkling
Just to fill you guys in; no I have never played Splatoon (and didn't have a Wii U or any other newer consoles besides a 3DS.) So you can probably expect there being a lack of knowledge from me about the game.

Anyways on topic, I have a Nintendo Switch and I was thinking about getting Splatoon later down the road once it comes out. I looked at some gameplay footage of the original game (splatoon 1.) Some newer gameplay from Nintendos unveiling of the switch, and watched some test fire gameplay. (I didn't have the console then at that time during may.)

From all the gameplay I watched, the gameplay seemed great and I liked it a lot. But what brought me down was the overall speed of how the game played, most shooters I play (and by "most" I only mean Minecraft PC, TF2, and Uncharted 3 multiplayer.) Instead, in people's footage they tend to just spray paint everywhere and not focus on anything else.

To me personally, I think what makes a shooter (or mini game/game.) Great is how fast the game is, the quality of the game (Minus graphics, just how enjoyable it is to play.) and the amount of content added, I have played Super Smash Bros Brawl and really enjoy the idea of knocking people out with crazy speed and combos. I just feel Splatoon won't be like that and more focused on the main objective. Which is spraying paint everywhere, instead of (Shooting people with a bunch of fast paced shooting and running away as a squid basically.)

And you might be thinking, why not try the game? Well good question, the $60 price tag pushes me away from buying it, and I don't want to spend money on something only to hate and regret it as soon as I purchase it.

Thanks! (randomdude)

Last edited:

randomdude

Inkling
I don't know if this is allowed, but i'm bumping the thread in advance. This post finally got approved by a moderator (at least I think so.) So yeah.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Keep an eye out for another test fire. If you play ranked matches its just not 'spraying paint everywhere.'

randomdude

Inkling
You could watch some more advanced gameplay of Splatoon 1's other game modes. Maybe that would help you in making an informed decision.
I watched some gameplay on his channel, a lot of the game is fast paced and crazy just as I was hoping for.

To those worried about the four player limit on each side, don't worry about it, the respawn time is fast and consistent so going up against 4 players makes it seem like more than 4 are there due to the fast respawn times. I might want to note though. When your in the lower arenas and the "Free Battle" mode, the gameplay (in my opinion.) Is considerablely boring if your looking for extremely fast paced skilled shooting/strategy with random players. But that's not as much of a problem, becuase there's a lot of weapon types and other types of "mods" that go with some of the paint guns (Think of it as the TF2 weapon main weapon types, and some have different effects if you use a different load out.)

One downside some might find, is the music. Its extremely annoying for my taste of music (I prefer classic rock/Jazz, or some upbeat rock music without any voices.)

Another thing to look forward to in the Splatoon 2 game as well, is the hoard mode. It looks pretty cool and its the closest appropriate version to something like COD Zombies on a Nintendo console. Love that :P

Definitely giving the game a try once it comes out, thanks for linking me to that YT Channel!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I watched some gameplay on his channel, a lot of the game is fast paced and crazy just as I was hoping for.

To those worried about the four player limit on each side, don't worry about it, the respawn time is fast and consistent so going up against 4 players makes it seem like more than 4 are there due to the fast respawn times. I might want to note though. When your in the lower arenas and the "Free Battle" mode, the gameplay (in my opinion.) Is considerablely boring if your looking for extremely fast paced skilled shooting/strategy with random players. But that's not as much of a problem, becuase there's a lot of weapon types and other types of "mods" that go with some of the paint guns (Think of it as the TF2 weapon main weapon types, and some have different effects if you use a different load out.)

One downside some might find, is the music. Its extremely annoying for my taste of music (I prefer classic rock/Jazz, or some upbeat rock music without any voices.)

Another thing to look forward to in the Splatoon 2 game as well, is the hoard mode. It looks pretty cool and its the closest appropriate version to something like COD Zombies on a Nintendo console. Love that :p

Definitely giving the game a try once it comes out, thanks for linking me to that YT Channel!
Who are you talking to with this post? And why does your profile say you've made zero posts? What?

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Who are you talking to with this post? And why does your profile say you've made zero posts? What?
...Yeah, just spotted that. I just joined, and I am functioning normally. Could there be some sort of glitch with the site itself not rendering his information?

randomdude

Inkling
His post @Christoph
To this post (#4 on the thread.)

Edit: Also I didn't know if you were referring to who I was talking to (literally) or just who I was talking about with my points of view on the game. I was just jotting down my thoughts on the thread about the game, so if someone is asking the same question on a search website they can just come to this one. I will have to make a more detailed post later more about Splatoon if I do end up wanting to list my full opinions on the game, but I think this would do for now.

After that I just said thanks to Chris for linking me to the you tuber to see if I think its a good game.

I also don't know why my profile says I have zero posts, but honestly I don't really care i'm just here to ask a question. :p

I'm quoting @Christoph 's post just for reference again:
You could watch some more advanced gameplay of Splatoon 1's other game modes. Maybe that would help you in making an informed decision.
...Yeah, just spotted that. I just joined, and I am functioning normally. Could there be some sort of glitch with the site itself not rendering his information?
I will have to ask a operator, or admin about that. But I'm not as concerned about it.
Edit: Its because its in Inkopolis Plaza (you don't get post counts for posting in those areas.) https://squidboards.com/threads/post-awaiting-mod-approval-clarification-thread.21024/

Last edited:

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
There's a lot of Overlap in TF2 players and Splatoon players (And more so OverWatch if you're into that) and I think you'll find that the game is suitably fast paced. At higher levels it gets down to counting the frames during/between animations and generally can be second to second action.

I prefer a slower more tactical experience usually, as I did with the Halo series, where it's less about your ability to snap headshots and more your ability to play to a strategy or tactic, but I find that Splatoon also allows for that kind of thoughtful gameplay quite well. Indeed while the pace of the game does get rather hectic it's very intent on your ability to anticipate your enemies movements and actions.

I would say that Splatoon offers an interesting balance between fast, hectic action and slower more tactful engagements. This, combined with its quirky and colorful aesthetics have made it my favourite game of all time, even if it's not the one I'm playing right now.

I've been binging RimWorld since I got that for my birthday, been on quite the break from squidgame haha (and that's why I haven't been around)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's a lot of Overlap in TF2 players and Splatoon players (And more so OverWatch if you're into that) and I think you'll find that the game is suitably fast paced. At higher levels it gets down to counting the frames during/between animations and generally can be second to second action.

I prefer a slower more tactical experience usually, as I did with the Halo series, where it's less about your ability to snap headshots and more your ability to play to a strategy or tactic, but I find that Splatoon also allows for that kind of thoughtful gameplay quite well. Indeed while the pace of the game does get rather hectic it's very intent on your ability to anticipate your enemies movements and actions.

I would say that Splatoon offers an interesting balance between fast, hectic action and slower more tactful engagements. This, combined with its quirky and colorful aesthetics have made it my favourite game of all time, even if it's not the one I'm playing right now.

I've been binging RimWorld since I got that for my birthday, been on quite the break from squidgame haha (and that's why I haven't been around)
You're right, it's somehow on both sides of the fence. We have a game where plays and tactics are important and every second matters. I'd say thinking under pressure's one of the prime skills needed here.

Also, Splatoon has completely spoiled me compared to other competitive games :P It takes you HOW long to get out of spawn and back in action?

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Try Playing League or, as I tried for the first time today, Heroes of the Storm. Minute long death timers haha. Splatoon, especially with QRS, feels so instant..

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
From what it sounds I think you would very much enjoy Spla2n.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom