• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So, is it me? Or is there A LOT of Roller hate tonight?

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
All I'm seeing across Miiverse tonight is "Roller scum" and "Rollers are for n00bs" and other such post.
I know Port Mackerel must be a Roller user's dream, but they didn't crop up that much overnight, did they?

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
It's a bad weapon but SSSS tier when you're laggy.
i wouldn't say it's a bad weapon....as you are required to at least have one roller for turf wars otherwise you might as well give up against a team with 1 or 2 rollers

true they aren't the best for combat situations....but they aren't suppose to be fighting in the first place they are suppose to be covering the ground for troops

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But it is not a bad weapon? In fact, rollers are great, but as with chargers, they require a skilled player to be using them. With a roller you can paint stuff really fast, you are unstoppable in melee encounters and you can fight back in ranged encounters as well. A good player with the dynamo roller can be the most annoying thing in this game. Losing only to laggy Japanese rollers!

The hate rollers get and chargers being underestimated all time, these are two things I really don't understand.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
i think it's because rollers are viewed as the garbage tier weapons for hyperactive kids who just want to roll over everything and paint the whole town asap

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
Rollers are actually quite powerful even at range. The Splattershot Jr. and Roller work at pretty much the same range. The Splattershot can extend a bit beyond the killzone of the roller fling, but a player still has to get uncomfortably close and their aim has to be much sharper than with the Splattershot Jr. or roller to get a kill.

Basically, if every weapon in game is in fact properly balanced, the roller is popular and hated because it's actually among one of the easier to use weapons in game. It's a shotgun in a game where even the "assault rifles" are more like flame throwers.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
The roller isn't a bad weapon at all, a roller can destroy if they know what they're doing. I don't even get the hate the roller gets. Just because it "easy to use" doesn't mean it's crap. Playing against a good roller is as annoying as all hell, don't even get me starting on the Japanese rollers that will give no mercy. Maybe it because of all the people that used the roller during the Global Testfire and failing to be good with it, but I will never understand why people even consider the roller a bad weapon.

Gweb

Inkling
Rollers get a lot of hate because they are extremely effective at killing players new to the game. Combined with the aspect that it's easy to use and you've got yourself a weapon that newbies will get salty over. Knowing that, the roller is far from being a bad weapon. There is a world of difference between a mediocre roller player and a good one.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Rollers are actually quite powerful even at range. The Splattershot Jr. and Roller work at pretty much the same range. The Splattershot can extend a bit beyond the killzone of the roller fling, but a player still has to get uncomfortably close and their aim has to be much sharper than with the Splattershot Jr. or roller to get a kill.

Basically, if every weapon in game is in fact properly balanced, the roller is popular and hated because it's actually among one of the easier to use weapons in game. It's a shotgun in a game where even the "assault rifles" are more like flame throwers.
Roller is not really that easy to play. Hence why unprepared players keep getting killed over and over again with the roller. It is an easy to pick weapon, but extremely hard to master, IMO.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not so sure about that, but I have seem some of those around. I honestly like the roller.. :*

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
Roller is not really that easy to play. Hence why unprepared players keep getting killed over and over again with the roller. It is an easy to pick weapon, but extremely hard to master, IMO.
No, it's easy to use, just can be bested by someone with a ranged weapon and the ability to use it. I'm not counting strategems here as part of the difficulty, just how easy it is to work the weapon in a new-guy vs new-guy situation. Because we're in trouble if the game is only going to be enjoyable for the old dogs in the long run because they're crushing the newbs left and right.

The roller may be horrible at inking vertical slopes, but the fling attack has fair enough range (at least as good as Splat Jr.) and very good damage. The further out a target is, the less likely they are to be hit by multiple globules of ink (read: enough globules) and go down in a single fling. The roller is a pre-pump-to-fire shotgun with an auto-melee mechanic. It doesn't require quite the precision aiming a Splattershot does as it fires in a wave before the player, but in return, like the Splattershot Jr, it's more or less RNG to actually hit and splat another inkling, growing more favorable the closer the user is to the target.

The thing is, it will dominate low skill players because the options that clearly out range the roller require some actual accuracy from the player. The more accurate players can take a Splattershot or other med-long range weapon of choice and just mop the floor with the roller equipped Inkling, pun intended. For these reasons, it's best for a roller user to determine the skill level of their opponent, and choose to either run or press the attack. Generally, as a roller, it's safer to bolt down the very trail they just blazed, even possibly hide within it someway down and get their pursuer as they erase the trail. They kind of have to after all.

The best uses I've seen for the roller in are invading enemy territory and playing the hide and strike game. Gunning it straight towards an opponent that also isn't using a roller or Splattershot Jr. (aka, short ranged weaponry) is just asking to get splatted. Coincidentally, low experience players would do this.

Last edited:

Beariie

Full Squid
Idk...a team of 4 krakens...on Port Mackarel...Which is always being played for some reason.

It honestly does get annoying to fight against, especially when they lag.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
The roller isn't a bad weapon at all, a roller can destroy if they know what they're doing. I don't even get the hate the roller gets. Just because it "easy to use" doesn't mean it's crap. Playing against a good roller is as annoying as all hell, don't even get me starting on the Japanese rollers that will give no mercy. Maybe it because of all the people that used the roller during the Global Testfire and failing to be good with it, but I will never understand why people even consider the roller a bad weapon.
I'm a roller guy but when your weapon is only good in sneak attack situations you have a giant weakness.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
I'm a roller guy but when your weapon is only good in sneak attack situations you have a giant weakness.
Look At The Spy From Team Fortress 2 that's a class built upon nothing but sneak attacks and deception....

all it takes is one good spy to ruin the defending team's chances during payload maps

hell most objective based maps require at least one spy to disable sentries

while i don't think the roller is this game's spy i do think it's foolish to say sneak attacks mean you have a giant weakness

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Look At The Spy From Team Fortress 2 that's a class built upon nothing but sneak attacks and deception....

all it takes is one good spy to ruin the defending team's chances during payload maps

hell most objective based maps require at least one spy to disable sentries

while i don't think the roller is this game's spy i do think it's foolish to say sneak attacks mean you have a giant weakness
Every other weapon can do your job, from range.

Hootie

Inkling
NNID
Vin_Megadiesel
Why are people saying Port Mackerel is roller's dream? It's quite the opposite because they are helpless down narrow corridors against anyone with a 52 gal or squelcher.

From my experience overall, rollers are the least of my problems especially because I'm a 52 gal/Aerospray main. Rollers are just easy to use, but difficult to master.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Krak-On Roller is literally the Phlogistinator. No wonder people hate it.

AmewTheFox

Inkling
NNID
AmewTheFox
There actually seem to be a lot of parallels with The Pyro, actually....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom