• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Sorella Brella discussion

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I've been using it lately and I'm quite fond of the weapon so far. Autobombs give the brella more offensive presence and Splat Bomb Launcher lets it push and ink turf fast. I think its kit goes well with the weapon and what are everyone's thoughts on the weapon?

Do you think its a good alternative to the Vanilla Splat Brella or do you think that Splat Brella is still the best of its kind?

Aromaiden

Full Squid
I think it's a good alternative kit to the Vanilla Brella. Splat Bomb Launcher is an amazing Special to have, and the Brella itself is a good weapon. It might help it be more offensive against the more aggro weapons, aka Blasters, it really struggles with.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
As someone who's used to regular Brella, i'm having trouble utilizing the Sorella well.

Brella itself slurps ink like crazy, and to have a costly sub like Auto quickly makes it too much. I cannot use it because once i throw the auto i don't have enough ink to keep fighting unless i stack like 6 mains worth of ink savers/recoveries.

Splat Rush is pretty amazing for the weapon itself, though. I'd be more convinced on it if it had a different sub.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I haven't been able to use the sorella brella yet, but judging by the kit, this weapon looks like a monster. But, I'll tell you, it's the bomb rush that really saves this weapon. The autobomb consumes a ton of ink, and it has a noticable ink recovery delay as well. Which doesn't suit the brella's ink hungry nature.

But I think this weapon is one of the best anti-meta weapons in the game, with it's brella shield and the bomb damage it can output. As it can block enemy specials like ballers and bubbles with the shield, letting a weapon finally stand up to those threats head on. (Just make sure there aren't any bubbles behind you) Still though, throwing an autobomb + then bomb rushing does some pretty big damage against baller, bubble blower, and the rainmaker.

And that's not even mentioning the massive paint with splat bomb rush, letting it take over the zone quickly, or setting up a massive push in rainmaker or tower control. Along with an already great weapon for 1v1s, this weapon will probably see some use.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I've been using it lately and I'm quite fond of the weapon so far. Autobombs give the brella more offensive presence and Splat Bomb Launcher lets it push and ink turf fast. I think its kit goes well with the weapon and what are everyone's thoughts on the weapon?

Do you think its a good alternative to the Vanilla Splat Brella or do you think that Splat Brella is still the best of its kind?
The Sorella Brella is definitely the more offensive and aggressive Brella, so I would defintely play in Rank Mode over the vanilla. I actually really like this jit, because it wasn't Nintendo just saying, hmmmm, this weapon is an Umbrella so let's make its special Ink Storm. Ink Storm works fine...I just feel like that it is kind of silly, but whatever. Autobomb is actually my favorite sub, because it pretty much is a point sensor. If you throw it and see where it lands, if it starts moving you know there is an enemy in that direction. Splat Bomb Launcher is also good, can allow for pushes and in Splat Zones recontrop of the zone. All around, I think this is just better, even though every kit has there strengths and weaknesses, I don't think the Vanilla is going to see to much more play in competitive anymore, the Sorella will take that spot

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Also I forgot to mention how much this Brella out classes tons of things when played right. If you are really good at the Brella, even a decent Roller won't be able to touch you, as well as Chargers and Splatlings, as long as you aren't turned around from where they are aiming. The ultimate weaknesses to this weapon are Blasters and Sting Rays, because the don't care about the shield.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I actually haven't had much issues with the ink consumption since I normally use a pure Ink Saver Main shirt and I've practiced with vanilla brella since it launched. Would Ink Saver Sub be an optimal choice since shooting and holding shield eats up ink?

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I actually haven't had much issues with the ink consumption since I normally use a pure Ink Saver Main shirt and I've practiced with vanilla brella since it launched. Would Ink Saver Sub be an optimal choice since shooting and holding shield eats up ink?
Yeah. I like Autobombs a lot, and I use them probably more than I should. I would pack at least one main of Ink Saver Sub. There are weapons that I feel Ink Saver Sub would be better on than Ink Saver Main, especially Burst Bomb sets, I like the ability to throw three burst bombs.

Mightysplat

Inkster Jr.
It's a ton of fun to play. I love splat bomb rush... Hence why rapid blaster is one of my mains...I love it so much that I have even considered trying the foil flingza - but that idea went no further than consideration lol.

I'm not that big a fan of autobombs though. First the ink consumption is crazy high which does not synergize with the brella. Second it's very easy to misthrow them so it's not uncommon for me to throw one and have it bounce off something in front of me and explode. Lastly half the time when I throw one even in a place where you'd expect people to be (eg on the stage in splat zones starfish mainstage or near the bridge in clam blitz on the reef) it just blows up without following anyone. There is some value in knowing that no enemies are there but I think that knowledge is actually a little less valuable to a brella than it is to a more vulnerable weapon like a charger or hydra splatling.... because the brella can better protect itself. Also it seems like you need to be pretty close to an autobombs for it to track you which means that when it tracks no one and blows up, your knowledge that a certain area is clear is only vis à vis a pretty small area. Not that I think it should track further...I would just rather have a splat bomb sub or really almost any other sub except splash wall and maybe ink mine (although I love ink mine on the rapid blaster). There is one good use for autobombs....stack a whole bunch of sub power up and ink saver sub and then spend a whole turf wars match trolling people by throwing tons of autobombs into mid that will follow them for much longer than normal due to your sub power up. I did this one time on ink art academy (I like experimenting like this so I'm not really trolling) and in fact we won handily and I got like 8 kills from autobombs I tossed in mid. But i wouldn't want to bring that strategy into ranked...

Sorry that was a long sidetrack on why I don't like autobombs. But the main weapon of the brella is surprisingly good and surprisingly good at painting. I haven't mastered using the shield (I never use brellas). My only issue is that I can't do weapons when I have to repeatedly hit ZR because it starte to hurt my hand. So even though I think this brella is a lot of fun, its sub notwithstanding, I'll only be able to use it from time to time.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I also wish the sub weapon was something else, such as the Toxic ist it was originally going to have. I'm in the fray a lot, and Autobombs are too ink hungry to be used alongside an relatively ink hungry main weapon, so I don't use them often. Even so, I still enjoy the weapon as Splatbomb rush is always good n fun. Here's the admittedly generic but effective set I use:

:ability_comeback:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

(Ugh, why are the icons no longer organized?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom